IndyCar signs multiyear media rights package with NBC Sports Group

I wish both networks would have their NASCAR production teams watch Fox's IMSA and NBC's IndyCar coverage. The networks have demonstrated they're capable of putting on broadcasts with the emphasis on the racing and informative booth crews that mostly stay out of the way. Why can't they cover NASCAR the same way?
Honestly, I'm not a fan FOX's IMSA coverage. I like some of the personalities themselves, like Jamie Howe, Brian Till, Calvin Fish...but I don't think their ticker really works for endurance racing and their commercial timing is terrible. I think they went to break three times in the final 20 minutes of Sebring alone. The final commercial break started with 9 minutes left.

You may just be better off playing the YouTube replay that's commercial-free. Usually comes out a day or two after the race.

Sure, a lot of ugly is subjective, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks the new cars are sleek and sexy.

You mean a car's aesthetics is not a part of it's appeal?

Come on......... we're car guys. We like sleek and sexy cars. I mean, otherwise they may as well be racing Ford Pintos. At least those would burst into flames once in awhile and inject some entertainment.

I'm sort of on both sides of this fence. We have seen plenty of ugly cars over the years, so this is nothing new. What is new is that these new F1 cars don't even look like cars anymore. But, you know, there's a line you just can't cross, and ugly cars that race like crap, for me anyway, is that line.

There's lots of good racing for free, starting with Indycar and IMSA. I wish we could get the ELMS here. They are set for 35 full season prototypes. That's one hell of a grid of swoopy cars, and you can bet the racing will be spectacular.
Yeah, I am in full agreement here. I know aesthetics aren't supposed to matter too much, but I can't help but be turned off by the current F1 cars. All the wing elements, bargeboards, halo, the halo has aero elements on top of that, it's so ugly. And it affects the coverage itself too. Seriously, go through this album - what the **** are we supposed to be seeing?

Btw, ELMS races are streamed online for free. They stream on their web site, YouTube, and I believe Dailymotion.

So, I can only imagine ESPN scooped F1 up on the cheapo, but the question is why didn't NBC take it on the cheap instead? I'm guessing the know Liberty media is going to make a mess out of it.
NBC wants streaming rights. Liberty are launching their own OTT streaming service and NBC didn't want to compete against that. So, in IndyCar's case, the series gave up those rights to NBC to put into the IndyCar Gold service.

Yeah, I am in full agreement here. I know aesthetics aren't supposed to matter too much, but I can't help but be turned off by the current F1 cars. All the wing elements, bargeboards, halo, the halo has aero elements on top of that, it's so ugly. And it affects the coverage itself too. Seriously, go through this album - what the **** are we supposed to be seeing?

Btw, ELMS races are streamed online for free. They stream on their web site, YouTube, and I believe Dailymotion.

nice, they were able to stick three of four more wings on the thing.:rolleyes: If the car is ugly as stink, add more wings seems to be their solution

we're car guys.
That's a big negatory there, good buddy. To me, cars are mostly a form of transportation, a way to get from point A to point B. I don't care what others think of what I'm driving.

My primary criteria for a good car are reliability, longevity, affordability, and excellent fuel mileage. My primary criteria for good racing are competitiveness, and clear, consistent rules. I don't care what they look like or how they sound. Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they made no noise at all.

Seriously, go through this album - what the **** are we supposed to be seeing?
And as little as I care about what race cars look like on the outside, I really don't care what the view is from an in-car camera. They're over used and do a lousy job of showing what's happening on the track.

Yeah, I am in full agreement here. I know aesthetics aren't supposed to matter too much, but I can't help but be turned off by the current F1 cars. All the wing elements, bargeboards, halo, the halo has aero elements on top of that, it's so ugly.

Years ago they banned the Tyrell X wing between races, and they came right out and said they banned it because it w ugly, so precedent is set they can ban any ugly appendage. We've had plenty of ugly cars in just about every series, but the big difference now is that they are all ugly, the entire damm field.

Aerodynamics have become so advanced and so important that the cars are sprouting little widgets and wollybobbles all over the place. Look at all the garbage they are hanging off the cars under the chassis right behind the front wheels. None of it even makes an sense, and I am betting there are not more than one or two guys here who could explain what all that crap does. I'm betting that at least half of it is designed to create turbulence and screw up the car behind. Then we wonder why the cars can't race each other

The answer is so simple it's escaped everyone except Indycar: Simplify the aero packages. The cars will look better and they will race a hell of a lot better.

And it affects the coverage itself too. Seriously, go through this album - what the **** are we supposed to be seeing?

I'm surprised the FIA did not design a provision for the camera in the halo itself. They could have either put it in the front support beam or in the halo itself.

Thanks. I am, going to have to look for those. It's going to be a hell of a show.

That's a big negatory there, good buddy. To me, cars are mostly a form of transportation, a way to get from point A to point B. I don't care what others think of what I'm driving.

My primary criteria for a good car are reliability, longevity, affordability, and excellent fuel mileage. My primary criteria for good racing are competitiveness, and clear, consistent rules. I don't care what they look like or how they sound. Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they made no noise at all.
images

I'm surprised the FIA did not design a provision for the camera in the halo itself. They could have either put it in the front support beam or in the halo itself.
I'm guessing that would weaken the halo structurally, but that's strictly a guess.

So with this move, does now mean ESPN has no more auto racing?

You don't like a sleek and sexy looking car?

My primary criteria for a good car are reliability, longevity, affordability, and excellent fuel mileage.

All things that count, but I'm a car guy and I like sleek and sexy cars. If it's dumpy looking I don't want it no matter how practical it is. There are practical cars that also happen to be sleek and sexy. Like, I really like the Nissan Altima SR....sporty, comfortable and practical, and it looks nice.

My primary criteria for good racing are competitiveness, and clear, consistent rules.

All of which are no longer part of F1. I mean, let's be honest. It's not competitive and there is a major rules ****up every single weekend.

If you look at how many bad calls (and especially non calls) we have had on driver's chopping, blocking, swerving and ramming each other off the track in the last few years, it's hard to believe there are any rules at all. Just what the Mercedes drivers alone did to each other was worth stripping a few super licenses over. I think it's very unclear what the rules are regarding wheel to wheel racing. It's so unclear they are absolutely going to get someone killed. In fact, they already have, but that's another discussion.

I don't care what they look like or how they sound. Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they made no noise at all.

Of course, I remember what the old V12 Matras sounded like, and the old Cosworth DFV, not to even mention the ear splitting 4 rotor Mazda Group C car. That, and the Ferrari 312s and 512s, and so may others that were worth hearing.

Then again, I fly electric RC planes, and I love how they sound. After years of flying noisy nitro powered planes, these are a lot easier on my old ears.

You don't like a sleek and sexy looking car?
'Sleek and sexy looking' are relative. There are some cars whose appearance I like better than others, but I don't think I've ever seen a car I would describe as 'sexy'. Maybe one with a wide, well padded back seat? ;) I just don't spend much time looking at or thinking about consumer vehicles. But then, some people don't spend much time looking at birds. Different strokes. My point remains, just because I'm a motorsports fan doesn't mean I care about cars in general. You seem to be more hung up about it than I am.

In my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like, what F1 fields qualifies as 'sleek'. That doesn't mean I like the appearance overall, just that I'd apply the word. I equate 'sleek' with 'streamlined' and 'aerodynamic'.
All of which are no longer part of F1.
Which is why I don't watch F1.

Back
Top Bottom