Informal drivers survey

B

bowtie

Matt Kenseth is the best active driver in Nextel Cup racing, based on the results of an informal survey of drivers published this week in the Dallas Morning News.
The newspaper asked Cup drivers to answer a set of 10 questions about their competitors, and 23 agreed to answer at least some of them. Fifteen others did not respond or declined to.

Kenseth got nine votes for best active driver, followed by six votes for Tony Stewart and four for Ryan Newman. Kenseth also got seven votes for most intelligent driver, with Newman second with five votes.

Jamie McMurray got four votes as the most underrated driver, just ahead of Kenseth and Mark Martin with three each. Brian Vickers, with four votes, was the most overrated with Michael Waltirp and Ken Schrader getting three votes each and Dale Earnhardt Jr. getting two.

Kasey Kahne was the overwhelming choice as the most promising rookie, with 14 votes to four for Vickers. Newman was named the most aggressive driver. Robby Gordon got six votes as the most dangerous driver to three for Kevin Harvick. Tony Stewart, with seven votes, was chosen as the driver with the worst temper.

Ten drivers said Dale Earnhardt was the best driver in history, with Richard Petty getting seven votes, Jeff Gordon three votes and Bobby Allison and Cale Yarborough one each in that category.

Thanks, that was interesting up to the part about Earnhardt being the best driver in history. But I'm not too surprised. Even though I was never a fan he was a great race car driver.

In my opinion Earnhardt was the best ever.
now when it comes to a survey from drivers themselves keep in mind half of them, or more, raced against him and the other half grew up watching him.

Thanks Bowtie

Those were very interesting results.

I would have to agree with Kenseth as the best driver at this time myself.

Ryan as the most intelligent.

Not sure about the most underrated.

Michael Waltrip would be my most overrated. Junior used to be, but he has improved quite a bit lately.

Kahne is obviously the most promising rookie, mostly due to the team he walked into.

Most aggresive...Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and a few others would tie in my book.

I would have to agree with the pros on Robby Gordon being the most dangerous, but Harvick is a very close second.

Tony has no equal in the temper department

The best driver's all time in my mind would go

1. Richard Petty...200 wins :eek:
2. Dale Earhardt Sr...7 cups to match King Richard
3. Jeff Gordon...4 championships so far

Best active drivers in Nextel Cup racing in order

Newman,Jeff Gordon(killed me to say that),Tony Stewart,Kenseth,Junior,Kurt Busch,Harvick,Rusty,Jimmie Johnson(ugh)and Robby Gordon.

I've said it for years about R.Gordon---that guy has some car control.

Kenseth smartest driver though? Not sure I agree but he is pretty slick. I would give the nod to Newman or even Jeff Burton.

The rest of it is pretty dead on. Stewart has a temper he just has to control to move forward in the sport. Although, he hasn't done bad with it.

I don't know how Junior could be considerd overrated at all. I mean the guy won 2 Busch series Championships back to back before he got to the Cup series. Yeah his first 2 seasons were kinda rough,i think he just got overconfident from his time in the Busch series,not because he wasn't very good,well that and he was partyin' alot lol.

Originally posted by The UnderTaker@Apr 4 2004, 10:45 PM
I don't know how Junior could be considerd overrated at all. I mean the guy won 2 Busch series Championships back to back before he got to the Cup series. Yeah his first 2 seasons were kinda rough,i think he just got overconfident from his time in the Busch series,not because he wasn't very good,well that and he was partyin' alot lol.
2 busch championships ? so what. Previous winston champions didnt get half of the coverage ( nor do they now) that he did/does.

I would say kenseth/robby reiser are the best combination is nascar right now. Dont know about him being the best active driver though.

I would say newman is the smartest.

I agree dead on with temper, most promising rookie, and under rated drivers.

Take shrader out of there, and I would agree with overated.

I think best driver ever is to close to call.

Originally posted by smack500@Apr 5 2004, 01:34 AM
2 busch championships ? so what.
That's the dumbest comment I've seen posted in a very long time.

So in your opinion someone that has won 2 busch championships should be better rated then someone that has won a winston cup championship?

Also dont quote half of my post and comment on it. If you read the whole thing I was saying that 2 busch championships doesnt compare to a winston cup championship. I was not saying that busch championships mean nothing.

Originally posted by smack500@Apr 5 2004, 02:53 PM
So in your opinion someone that has won 2 busch championships should be better rated then someone that has won a winston cup championship?

No but I disagee with the point that Jr should have ever been overrated and for you to say..so.. kind of disturbed me. Winning 2 championships of any kind is quite an accomplishment.

I was not saying that busch championships mean nothing.

Cool,sorry for the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom