Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

-IF- Charlotte allows fans in, that Saturday Xfinity race on the Roval could be a double-header with IMSA.

So glad to see there are no Cup weeknights or Sat-Sun double weekends.
I thought the 21 schedule leaked when I skimmed it, my heart jumped through my throat for a second

IMSA will be Saturday night from what the track had in their press release last week.
I dunno. -IF- fans are allowed, that might be too long a day for me, esp. since I'd be coming back the next day for Cup. I'll have to decide about a hotel room, but I'm kinda cheap.

On the other hand, how many IMSA races to I get in my back yard? CMS is closer than Road Atlanta, and interstate the whole way.

TRUCKS AT ****** DARLINGTON, TRUCKS AT DARLINGTON!!!!!

A genuine Nascar Power Stroke. Major props to Nascar for getting 2020 scheduled out in a 1st class way... all 38 Cup races; all 33 Xfinity races; all 22 Trucks races. When you look at the schedules that other racing series have come up with, and when you look at the stick-and-ball sports... Nascar has done a great job of playing the hand that COVID-19 dealt. I pray that the good results so far keep on rolling... right up to Phoenix in November.

I checked, and unless I missed someone. The only people racing in Trucks who have raced at Darlington is Matt Crafton and Johnny Sauter right? At least raced there in the Trucks anyway.

Same with Richmond I would assume also, since it's been awhile since they raced there. What, 05?

Anyone know if Texas still has its Roval? I was going through stats on the 2000 American Lemans season and found it. Then went youtube diving. It's simple but looks more fun then a regular Texas race, I'd rather Roval Texas then how everyone always wants to Roval Pocono

It might be tough selling the tracks on a loss of a day or two of income. Isn't NASCAR contractually required to provide X number of hours of programming to the networks?

Having raised those flags, I like the idea. Note that a single day show doesn't necessarily mean no practice or qualifying. It may, it may not.

I take it they’ll try to stretch the weekend for a few tracks that make the most off of camping and hospitality and compress it for most others. Of course, there still may be restrictions and guidelines that limit those sorts of things next year anyways. Cost savings will be crucial next year with economic recovery and having to build up a new fleet for 2022 and beyond.

It might be tough selling the tracks on a loss of a day or two of income. Isn't NASCAR contractually required to provide X number of hours of programming to the networks?

Having raised those flags, I like the idea. Note that a single day show doesn't necessarily mean no practice or qualifying. It may, it may not.
I like the idea because it helps the financial health of the teams in this changing world. I know the tracks have to survive too but without racers they'll be no need for tracks. I also like the idea of having less track activity to record and watch and so maybe I'll get more done on the weekends. :laugh:

Isn't NASCAR contractually required to provide X number of hours of programming to the networks?

My understanding it was the other way around , NASCAR mandated practice/qualifying get TV time in the contract, but then FOX Sports change things and stopped showing practice on Fridays because talking head shows so maybe something changed at some point.

I'm all for no mid-week races if it means new tracks. That being said, I think new tracks would be the perfect candidate for mid-week races because people will want to tune in and see something new

Interesting the Daytona Roval wouldn’t replace one of the existing oval races. Maybe they use the Roval for a July 4th date...or a true speedweeks start the first two weeks of the year in Daytona, first the 500 then the Roval the next week
That was pretty much my suggestion a few weeks ago. Run Daytona 500 Saturday night, keep Sunday open to run the 500 in case of rain postponement, run Daytona road course Monday night (practice and qualifying earlier on Monday).

That was pretty much my suggestion a few weeks ago. Run Daytona 500 Saturday night, keep Sunday open to run the 500 in case of rain postponement, run Daytona road course Monday night (practice and qualifying earlier on Monday).
I think P & Q are gone for good. Drivers have demonstrated they don't need for practice (KyBu excluded).

I think P & Q are gone for good. Drivers have demonstrated they don't need for practice (KyBu excluded).
I will counter with if P&Q are gone for good, and if these races are one day shows when things get back to normal, I would ask wouldn’t it hurt track attendance in that I’m sure you’d take a hit in Infield camping with less on track actives? What would would be the point then of arriving on a Thursday and staying the weekend if things can be done in 48 hours. I don’t think people would be camping If everything was done in two days for example. I do think the model changes when we get back but I hope they do at least one practice and one qualifying session during the course of a weekend

I will counter with if P&Q are gone for good, and if these races are one day shows when things get back to normal, I would ask wouldn’t it hurt track attendance in that I’m sure you’d take a hit in Infield camping with less on track actives? What would would be the point then of arriving on a Thursday and staying the weekend if things can be done in 48 hours. I don’t think people would be camping If everything was done in two days for example. I do think the model changes when we get back but I hope they do at least one practice and one qualifying session during the course of a weekend

I can only kinda agree with this. Tracks have diversified their things to do on race weekend sooooo much there's still plenty of reason to get their early in the weekend. While practice and quali are fun to watch, to me at least their value is greatly diminished when there's no one being sent home. And I think the grandstands would generally agree with me as fan areas are PACKED outside the track til an hour or so before the green flag.

I can only kinda agree with this. Tracks have diversified their things to do on race weekend sooooo much there's still plenty of reason to get their early in the weekend. While practice and quali are fun to watch, to me at least their value is greatly diminished when there's no one being sent home. And I think the grandstands would generally agree with me as fan areas are PACKED outside the track til an hour or so before the green flag.
well thats not everybody though going to tailgate or grill out in a lot. Me personally I tried to get a Cup practice in usually before Xfinity qualifying usually on a Friday. Then Cup qualifying or happy hour before the Xfinity race on a Saturday and then the Main event on Sunday, out Sunday night. The whole point of me going to a race was to watch racing , I didnt really care to get drunk in a parking lot or grill out. Now we'd walk the souveniour riggs back when every driver had them that was fun and then watch drunk people stumble around was always humorous but I always couldnt get enough of the action on track.

On the other hand it can open these tracks up to things like more companion events. Just as much time on with cars on track, but actually racing. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Look at all the races they jammed in at Pocono and Dover. I bet if there were fans there they would be been "man all this racing is great, but I'd really like to watch practice". You mix together weekends with cup, Xfinity, trucks, ARCA, modifieds, or even Indy cars in you can make one heck of a weekend

On the other hand it can open these tracks up to things like more companion events. Just as much time on with cars on track, but actually racing. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Look at all the races they jammed in at Pocono and Dover. I bet if there were fans there they would be been "man all this racing is great, but I'd really like to watch practice". You mix together weekends with cup, Xfinity, trucks, ARCA, modifieds, or even Indy cars in you can make one heck of a weekend
Indy Car has been searching for companion events for years to go with their oval races during their down time when there is no practice or qualifying. I hope its as easy as you make it sound because if thats the case then my previous post will be null and void. I always thought the Trucks and Xfinity were better at their own events together away from Cup racing at tracks or markets Cup doesnt go to. ARCA too, I just with they were on TV more so I could watch them. But yea to get back on topic I hope it would be easy to have packed weekends with 4 different Series going, thatd be great for every one.

Yeah, but the downside to the Pocono / Dover model is that it's only one weekend a year, not two. I'm almost positive the tracks don't like that.

well thats not everybody though going to tailgate or grill out in a lot. Me personally I tried to get a Cup practice in usually before Xfinity qualifying usually on a Friday. Then Cup qualifying or happy hour before the Xfinity race on a Saturday and then the Main event on Sunday, out Sunday night. The whole point of me going to a race was to watch racing , I didnt really care to get drunk in a parking lot or grill out. Now we'd walk the souveniour riggs back when every driver had them that was fun and then watch drunk people stumble around was always humorous but I always couldnt get enough of the action on track.

I totally get that 100%. But Racing-Forums is certainly not indicative of the majority of the NASCAR fan base- I'm sure this forum alone has more scanners/headsets and brings more notepads and pencils to the races than the whole damn collection of crew chiefs!

I will generally watch qualifying when I'm at the track for the weekend and practice it's 50/50. The last full race weekend I had (Bristol last year) my buddy and I only went in the track for Cup qualifying iirc- and we would've needed another 3 days to see everything outside the track!

I totally get that 100%. But Racing-Forums is certainly not indicative of the majority of the NASCAR fan base- I'm sure this forum alone has more scanners/headsets and brings more notepads and pencils to the races than the whole damn collection of crew chiefs!

I will generally watch qualifying when I'm at the track for the weekend and practice it's 50/50. The last full race weekend I had (Bristol last year) my buddy and I only went in the track for Cup qualifying iirc- and we would've needed another 3 days to see everything outside the track!
Kudos to those of you that still enjoy qualifying. I would think you have a far better awareness of what it takes to run these cars than most of us. I used to enjoy qualifying back in the day when some good drivers could end up going home and invariably someone would drive it in way over their head. That was what I enjoyed. Can't even remember last time I watched qualifying.

Kudos to those of you that still enjoy qualifying. I would think you have a far better awareness of what it takes to run these cars than most of us. I used to enjoy qualifying back in the day when some good drivers could end up going home and invariably someone would drive it in way over their head. That was what I enjoyed. Can't even remember last time I watched qualifying.
For the most part I still enjoy single car quals. I enjoyed it more when the cars had more HP and the tapered spacer wasn’t installed. Was a joy hearing these things scream and the drivers putting down a couple white knuckle laps.

For the most part I still enjoy single car quals. I enjoyed it more when the cars had more HP and the tapered spacer wasn’t installed. Was a joy hearing these things scream and the drivers putting down a couple white knuckle laps.

Over 15 years ago. No one can accuse Ryan of sandbagging in Q.

Great run but it was his run at Bristol in '03 that I enjoyed. He was the first one to break 15 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom