Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Does anyone know what condition Pikes Peak is in? If we are talking about Colorado

A drift track right now.

That was a beautiful backdrop for the truck series.
still got the oval up, but like one set of grand stands (just took a trip there through the magic of Google Earth). I'd like to see that track come back, I enjoyed the Trucks and Busch series races there. Kinda hope if money is going to be thrown at a track, that'd be one considered.

They've scanned the track at this point you would think it'd be cheaper to start with a new site and build a clone

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The track is beyond salvageable, that's the reason why its a big ask to revive the track. Not to mention, the city wants it back and is in need of financial backers to make it happen.

Rockingham was in better shape, which why its revival was no where near as costly. It helps to have investors behind the scenes, too. We'll see, but its a big task ahead to revive North Wilkesboro.

@Snappy D it would be cool to see Pikes Peak International make a comeback in a market that loves racing. I think SMI and ISC both over expanded during the 90s and early 00s. So many tracks, good and bad, but a limited amount of slots on schedules to make it happen.

They've scanned the track at this point you would think it'd be cheaper to start with a new site and build a clone

Honestly yes. Use it to replace Texas. That way you can still have the track in a city rather than the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone know what condition Pikes Peak is in? If we are talking about Colorado
Like this
1543px-Pikes_Peak_International_Raceway_2018.JPG

@Snappy D it would be cool to see Pikes Peak International make a comeback in a market that loves racing. I think SMI and ISC both over expanded during the 90s and early 00s. So many tracks, good and bad, but a limited amount of slots on schedules to make it happen.

If only there were feeder series that could race on short tracks and tracks with limited grandstands/facilities across the country...too bad that ship sailed away 10 years ago lol.

The track is beyond salvageable, that's the reason why its a big ask to revive the track. Not to mention, the city wants it back and is in need of financial backers to make it happen.

Rockingham was in better shape, which why its revival was no where near as costly. It helps to have investors behind the scenes, too. We'll see, but its a big task ahead to revive North Wilkesboro.

I want Wilkesboro to come back just as much as anyone. I dont know if it makes financial sense and frankly dont care, its not my money and I try to stay off the internet discussion on how to tell people to spend their money. If it makes sen$e Marcus Smith will make it happen, I also think if it did make sense for all parties it would have happened already. So I'm not getting my hopes up even with the Lemonis pledge of up to 1 million. You mentioned Rockingham there, thats quite unusual. They've fallen off the map since the new owners took over, we have heard zero, zilch, nadda from them. Whats going on there? I'll be happy we are getting Fairgrounds back, thats going to be so awesome when that race day comes. This track talk is all very interesting, it seems like just when we think we have the answers....the questions are changed.

I want Wilkesboro to come back just as much as anyone. I dont know if it makes financial sense and frankly dont care, its not my money and I try to stay off the internet discussion on how to tell people to spend their money. If it makes sen$e Marcus Smith will make it happen, I also think if it did make sense for all parties it would have happened already. So I'm not getting my hopes up even with the Lemonis pledge of up to 1 million. You mentioned Rockingham there, thats quite unusual. They've fallen off the map since the new owners took over, we have heard zero, zilch, nadda from them. Whats going on there? I'll be happy we are getting Fairgrounds back, thats going to be so awesome when that race day comes. This track talk is all very interesting, it seems like just when we think we have the answers....the questions are changed.
Charoltte is the baby of SMI, its like the Silverstone of NASCAR where most organizations are not far away. I doubt SMI wants to compete against itself to take away ticket sales from it. Ths Coke 600 and Roval race are staples on the calendar.

The Fairgrounds is in the middle of Tennessee compared to Bristol, which is in East Tennessee. It all has to make sense and not to create competition for other tracks. I would like to see Rockingham and N. Wilesboro make a comeback, but like you said it has to make financial sense. I would be willing to shell out the money for a package deal for N. Wilkes and Charlotte.

Rockingham is independently owned, so its up to the current owners to make it happen. All three have co-existed before, it can happen, but it will be years for Rockingham and N. Wilkes to be to the level needed. Fees and everything associated with it.

I really hope Marcus is considered for NASCAR CEO in the future. He knows how to get people to work together and also to promote a brand
In theory that sounds good, but I think hes way more beneficial to the sport in his current role

A drift track right now.

That was a beautiful backdrop for the truck series.

The first NASCAR race I attended was a Busch race at PPIR. The condition of the track aside, the issue with PPIR is that it's 2 hours south of Denver and if NASCAR puts a Cup race in Colorado they would want it to be in the Denver market and that's why ISC bought PPIR so they could close it and try to get a track built in the Denver area. That fell thru obviously.

Why would you run a street course in Mexico City when there's a world class road course there? The photo shows Hermanos Rodriguez hosting an Busch race in the '00s.

Generally speaking, I don't get why NASCAR is so interesting in running street courses - isn't that a major cost to temporarily set up a street course given all the logistics, barriers, fencing, grandstands, etc? Just stick with a handful of real road courses and mix in other new tracks.

Any attempts to revive North Wilkesboro should be done under the assumption that Cup isn't coming back.. The Cup schedule is full as it is and no way in hell are Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Vegas, or Bristol giving up their Cup dates..

The only reason Texas got the All Star Race was to get Eddie Gossage to let COTA on the schedule..

Plus, getting Cup dates are extremely difficult.. Milwaukee tried for years, to no avail, Montreal also tried and got nowhere, even in spite of highly successful Nationwide/Xfinity weekends.. It took Road America over a decade to get a Cup race, it took COTA 9 years, it took Nashville Superspeedway 20 years..

Any attempts to revive North Wilkesboro should be done under the assumption that Cup isn't coming back.. The Cup schedule is full as it is and no way in hell are Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Vegas, or Bristol giving up their Cup dates..

The only reason Texas got the All Star Race was to get Eddie Gossage to let COTA on the schedule..

Plus, getting Cup dates are extremely difficult.. Milwaukee tried for years, to no avail, Montreal also tried and got nowhere, even in spite of highly successful Nationwide/Xfinity weekends.. It took Road America over a decade to get a Cup race, it took COTA 9 years, it took Nashville Superspeedway 20 years..
Those failures occurred under Brian France's "leadership"..

Plus, getting Cup dates are extremely difficult.. Milwaukee tried for years, to no avail, Montreal also tried and got nowhere, even in spite of highly successful Nationwide/Xfinity weekends.. It took Road America over a decade to get a Cup race, it took COTA 9 years, it took Nashville Superspeedway 20 years.
If Wilkesboro was revived I think an ARCA/Trucks/Xfinity date would be more than satisfactory. The occasional Cup All Star Race would be a home run. I always wish Milwaukee got a cup date, went a Busch Race there in 08 that Carl Edwards won...fun time and awesome track

I don't understand why they run trucks, Xfinity and Cup the same weekend
at the same track. I would think they could use truck races to explore other tracks.
With the trucks running small tracks they wouldn't have the speed and therefore the safety measures would not have to be as rigid.
I think with less safety measures, drivers may not be so brave or stupid and they could put on better races with less crash fests.
I also think that when you see bonsaied stupid moves by a driver they could be made to sit out a race to contemplate was that necessary or not?
Trucks is a training series and it seems to me some of these drivers are getting no training at all.

You mentioned Rockingham there, thats quite unusual. They've fallen off the map since the new owners took over, we have heard zero, zilch, nadda from them. Whats going on there?
There has been a trickle of information out of the Rock regarding track prep, tire tests and plans for a late model race later this year. We shall see.

at the same track. I would think they could use truck races to explore other tracks.
With the trucks running small tracks they wouldn't have the speed and therefore the safety measures would not have to be as rigid.
I think with less safety measures, drivers may not be so brave or stupid and they could put on better races with less crash fests.
I also think that when you see bonsaied stupid moves by a driver they could be made to sit out a race to contemplate was that necessary or not?
Trucks is a training series and it seems to me some of these drivers are getting no training at all.
Plain and simple money.

-you get more people at a truck race if it's a companion event
-you pay a lot more costs for officials and safety workers
-unless you dont do live pit stops flying crew guys around is expensive
-it costs the networks a lot more to be in 2 places at once

Plain and simple money.

-you get more people at a truck race if it's a companion event
-you pay a lot more costs for officials and safety workers
-unless you dont do live pit stops flying crew guys around is expensive
-it costs the networks a lot more to be in 2 places at once

I'm starting to think the ticket revenue would be more at stand-alone events for X/trucks. 15 years ago, you certainly would get more people at the track Friday/Saturday when the Cup guys were running. Heck, iirc the Food City 250 at Bristol for the Busch series would regularly draw around 100,000 fans.

Today there's almost nobody in the stands for companion events at most tracks, and tracks are giving the tickets away for $30-$50 a seat.

Go to a local short track, and even if it only seats 10,000 people, tickets would be a HOT item. Sell 'em for $50-$80. If the trucks ever went to Stafford or Thompson here in CT, I'd be in it for tickets in that price range.

Another money consideration is the TV crews. If all series are at the same track, the network only needs one set of production trucks, camera crews, on-air talent, hotels, etc.

If Wilkesboro was revived I think an ARCA/Trucks/Xfinity date would be more than satisfactory. The occasional Cup All Star Race would be a home run. I always wish Milwaukee got a cup date, went a Busch Race there in 08 that Carl Edwards won...fun time and awesome track

I believe there was a quote from Marcus Smith on the Dale Jr podcast where he went on to say that Cup wouldn't be returning there, but if they start with something like ARCA/Trucks/Xfinity then I optimistically think Cup would become a possibility. The All Star race would make a ton of sense since it's only about an hour away from most of the team shops.

And all this support from the Wilkesboro community is a big positive whereas in Nashville they are getting pushback about racing returning to Fairgrounds.

And all this support from the Wilkesboro community is a big positive whereas in Nashville they are getting pushback about racing returning to Fairgrounds.
Nashville has multiple sources of income and plenty of other tourism attractions. It's gone along nicely without a NASCAR race for a decade.

Wilkesboro has nothing and will grab at any straw.

I'm starting to think the ticket revenue would be more at stand-alone events for X/trucks. 15 years ago, you certainly would get more people at the track Friday/Saturday when the Cup guys were running. Heck, iirc the Food City 250 at Bristol for the Busch series would regularly draw around 100,000 fans.

Today there's almost nobody in the stands for companion events at most tracks, and tracks are giving the tickets away for $30-$50 a seat.

Go to a local short track, and even if it only seats 10,000 people, tickets would be a HOT item. Sell 'em for $50-$80. If the trucks ever went to Stafford or Thompson here in CT, I'd be in it for tickets in that price range.

Bingo. It’s exactly what Eldora is to the series and it’s a huge success

Back
Top Bottom