Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Bingo. It’s exactly what Eldora is to the series and it’s a huge success
Maybe what Eldora WAS. Now it's just another track not on a national touring schedule.

Y'all continue to assume the local tracks you mention are interested in hosting a top-series race. There are plenty of financial reasons why they wouldn't, with the application fee being top of the list. Myrtle Beach dropped its Busch race because it wasn't making money, and that was when NASCAR was still popular.

Last edited:
Maybe what Eldora WAS. Now it's just another track not on a national touring schedule.

Y'all continue to assume the local tracks you mention are interested in hosting a top-series race. There are plenty of financial reasons why they wouldn't, with the application fee being top of the list. Myrtle Beach dropped its Busch race because it wasn't making money, and that was when NASCAR was still popular.

I wouldn’t say that at all. Eldora is regularly packed and they run it on a weeknight in middle of nowhere Ohio. If that race was on a Saturday night it would never have not been completely sold out.

I do like moving it to Knoxville by the way

That's why I wanted Eldora's Truck race to be the only dirt race run by a national touring series, it gave the Truck Series a unique identity and a signature event, something that series badly needed

The Trucks race wasn't Eldora's most profitable event, and they are running more large scale "national touring" races this year than they ever have.
I don't think it will be Knoxville's either. The interest for me will be to see if the track races any differently than Eldora.

The Trucks race wasn't Eldora's most profitable event, and they are running more large scale "national touring" races this year than they ever have.
Sorry, I forgot the 'NASCAR' in front of 'national touring series'. I've no doubt the track is doing well financially.

My point was that bringing one of those NASCAR series to a small track isn't as easy as some people think it is. There's a whole lot more involved than just NASCAR saying, "Hey, let's go to SoBo next year!"

Sorry, I forgot the 'NASCAR' in front of 'national touring series'. I've no doubt the track is doing well financially.

My point was that bringing one of those NASCAR series to a small track isn't as easy as some people think it is. There's a whole lot more involved than just NASCAR saying, "Hey, let's go to SoBo next year!"
It starts with let's get out our wallets

Exactly. Tracks pay NASCAR a six-figure amount of money just to host even a truck race. It's not a guaranteed thing to host a top-3 division race and turn a profit especially if it's a track that would need renovation to be suitable for the national stage.

It starts with let's get out our wallets
Where 'our wallets' are the tracks' wallets, not NASCAR's. For some of the suggested tracks, it would also involve the Small Business Administration, Kickstarter, and possibly knocking over a couple of liquor stores.

Where 'our wallets' are the tracks' wallets, not NASCAR's. For some of the suggested tracks, it would also involve the Small Business Administration, Kickstarter, and possibly knocking over a couple of liquor stores.
you forgot those $afer wall people from Nebraska, I think they will have to knock over a couple banks

you forgot those $afer wall people from Nebraska, I think they will have to knock over a couple banks
I don't go to the forums of other sports. Does anyone ever post stuff like, "The Bears and Lions should play a game at West Sandlot Jr. College's Memorial Field!" or "Podunk County Country Club would be a great course to host the PGA Championship!"?

I don't go to the forums of other sports. Does anyone ever post stuff like, "The Bears and Lions should play a game at West Sandlot Jr. College's Memorial Field!" or "Podunk County Country Club would be a great course to host the PGA Championship!"?
The nfl plays numerous games overseas and have played in Mexico before

considering the cars that race there can hardly draw a crowd, and if they did there wouldn't be anywhere for them to sit

Exactly. Tracks pay NASCAR a six-figure amount of money just to host even a truck race. It's not a guaranteed thing to host a top-3 division race and turn a profit especially if it's a track that would need renovation to be suitable for the national stage.
For established venues, that cost is more than offset by TV revenue dollars paid to the track.

No idea whether or not Eldora got an equitable deal on TV money. You can be sure Bristol did.

The nfl plays numerous games overseas and have played in Mexico before
The cost of getting 2 NFL teams to a new venue is a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to get 40 nascar teams there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For established venues, that cost is more than offset by TV revenue dollars paid to the track.
Yep. They have a lot of advantages that local tracks don't have. Established venues already have the necessary infrastructure in place. They have sister tracks under the same corporate umbrella to share some of the one-time costs. Most have stable, reoccurring spots on the schedule, so they'll have years to pay off one-time costs and can spread out the depreciation. That's a lot different from bringing most of the suggested tracks up to snuff for a one-time All-Star weekend.

Speaking of TV, I assume they have some say based on whether there's sufficient resources for them to set up shop. The TV compound at most Cup tracks takes up more space than some of the suggested tracks. That has to be paved space too, since the networks will insist their trucks sit level when it rains, and can get out ASAP after the checkers fall. There's the need for sufficient amounts of that dad-gummed electricity stuff too, and a clear line of sight to the satellites. I suspect the networks would turn thumbs down to a lot of the suggested tracks for logistical reasons alone.

The cost of getting 2 NFL teams to a new venue is a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to get 40 nascar teams there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The cost of getting 40 NASCAR teams to a new venue is a drop compared to getting that venue ready.

I dont think this thread is any different than the Silly Season one where posters here retire, rehire, fire, and move drivers daily. Hey did you hear, Keselowski is going to Jr Motorsports next year? It's just harmless fun, some of it is eye rolling I guess but I do find the track/schedule speculation very enthralling.

As long as North Wilkesboro is standing, regardless of condition, I'll always have a little bit of hope.
Its location out in the sticks helps it as far as they won't be razing it to build any malls there or anything. So until Mother Nature reclaims it, it'll be there.

It's just harmless fun,
Yeah, it's just that so many offer posts that indicate they don't know how the schedule is built. In particular, those who say, "Why doesn't NASCAR go here?" or "NASCAR should go to this track." They (mistakenly?) assuming those tracks want a Cup date in the first place. NASCAR doesn't go anywhere until it's asked.

NASCAR has plenty of top-notch facilities waiting to get a schedule spot, tracks that are already prepared and have demonstrated that with Indy or IMSA events. Mid-Ohio, Gateway, Portland; maybe Barber or Road Atlanta. Geez, NASCAR owns tracks that don't have Cup dates. There are too many great tracks knocking on the door for it to bother calling a local short track and asking if they could maybe spare a weekend for a Cup race. Look how long it took Kentucky, Road America, or COTA to get on the Cup schedule, and these are / were big-time, ready-to-go, relatively deep-pocketed tracks. IRP, Wilkesboro, and The Rock don't stand a chance, again making the assumption they're even interested.

Yeah, it's just that so many offer posts that indicate they don't know how the schedule is built. In particular, those who say, "Why doesn't NASCAR go here?" or "NASCAR should go to this track." They (mistakenly?) assuming those tracks want a Cup date in the first place. NASCAR doesn't go anywhere until it's asked.

NASCAR has plenty of top-notch facilities waiting to get a schedule spot, tracks that are already prepared and have demonstrated that with NASCAR, Indy or IMSA events. Mid-Ohio, Gateway, Portland; maybe Barber or Road Atlanta. Geez, NASCAR owns tracks that don't have Cup dates. There are too many great tracks knocking on the door for it to bother calling a local short track and asking if they could maybe spare a weekend for a Cup race. Look how long it took Kentucky, Road America, or COTA to get on the Cup schedule, and these are / were big-time, ready-to-go, relatively deep-pocketed tracks. IRP, Wilkesboro, and The Rock don't stand a chance, again making the assumption they're even interested.

"Chicagoland, holding on Line 2 . . . . . "

NASCAR has plenty of top-notch facilities waiting to get a schedule spot, tracks that are already prepared and have demonstrated that with Indy or IMSA events. Mid-Ohio, Gateway, Portland; maybe Barber or Road Atlanta. Geez, NASCAR owns tracks that don't have Cup dates. There are too many great tracks knocking on the door for it to bother calling a local short track and asking if they could maybe spare a weekend for a Cup race. Look how long it took Kentucky, Road America, or COTA to get on the Cup schedule, and these are / were big-time, ready-to-go, relatively deep-pocketed tracks. IRP, Wilkesboro, and The Rock don't stand a chance, again making the assumption they're even interested.
I can’t add any thing to that, you hit it out of the park

Thank you.. IRP and Wilkesboro (if it comes back) would be better off seeking Truck and ARCA dates than Cup

As long as North Wilkesboro is standing, regardless of condition, I'll always have a little bit of hope.
That is the track I'd love to see come back. I do think we need a northern short track though, even Eldora would do. Running Richmond, Bristol, Martinsville, NW extremely regionalized lol.

I'll be honest though, I'm excited to see how a symmetrical design will run in cup on the bigger tracks. I'd love to see places like Michigan and Charlotte to take on hard nosed racing again. I think people forget why we powered down the cars on some of these tracks. The pure speeds we were getting up to (200 on corner entry at Charlotte?) had made passing almost impossible as you were entering so fast that you could really only take one line or you'd lose the car. Same with Michigan, corner entry speeds that rivaled IndyCars made passing on straights about the only option.

Myrtle Beach dropped the race when NASCAR raised the Sanction fee. If they paid what NASCAR wanted you're right they wouldnt have made any money. That was the beginning of the movement away from the short tracks.

That is the track I'd love to see come back. I do think we need a northern short track though, even Eldora would do. Running Richmond, Bristol, Martinsville, NW extremely regionalized lol.

I'll be honest though, I'm excited to see how a symmetrical design will run in cup on the bigger tracks. I'd love to see places like Michigan and Charlotte to take on hard nosed racing again. I think people forget why we powered down the cars on some of these tracks. The pure speeds we were getting up to (200 on corner entry at Charlotte?) had made passing almost impossible as you were entering so fast that you could really only take one line or you'd lose the car. Same with Michigan, corner entry speeds that rivaled IndyCars made passing on straights about the only option.
I don't think North Wilkesboro will ever be a Cup track again. But there is some hope it could be a truck or Xfinity track again. Or even a dirt track.

Okay, why the hell is NASCAR considering doing a street circuit at the LA Coliseum?

They're already sinking millions into Auto Club Speedway, which already exists as the track for the LA market..

If the market already has a Cup capable venue (and isn't closing), they don't need a street circuit..

Go do one in Pittsburgh or DC or something

I’m surprised this one has resurfaced, the last time anyone in media reported on it was well before they announced the Fontana reconfiguration. That seemed to be the solution to rejuvenating the SoCal market and even bringing a second race back. Interesting if they’re looking at doing a split strategy to accomplish that.

I would love to see a NASCAR race at the coliseum. I never went there for ball sports but I would go for a NASCAR race.

Back
Top Bottom