Interesting article on the evolution of pit stops

Heck, when I started watching in 2007 14 seconds was average, 13 was great. Now (just 7 years later) 11.5 is great, 12.5 average, and 13 seconds will have you lose a position or 2 two.

Gas will only come out of the can so fast. I think the crews can change the tires faster than the fuel comes out of the can.

Easily. The only 14 second pit stops are when the teams are "packing it full".

I think the article brings up a good point. Does NASCAR want to speed up pit stops? I don't wanna see an Indy Car stop, or (*shudders*) an F1 stop.

remember we get the new technology officiating pit-road next season

5 on 5 off is one of the only pieces of an actual stock car that we have left in the sport & can relate to. Never get rid of it.

Remember when Benny issued a challenge of 100 bucks to the 7 member over the wall crew for the first sub
13 second pit stop?

btw it was 2002 and just about everyone said it was impossible!

I've always enjoyed watching pit stops. The guys over the wall have won and lost races for their team. They are the visible members of the team. My favorite qualifying procedure includes a pit stop.

I've always enjoyed watching pit stops. The guys over the wall have won and lost races for their team. They are the visible members of the team. My favorite qualifying procedure includes a pit stop.

Thats why I love All Star race qualifying. I wish they would bring back the pit crew challenge.

Thats why I love All Star race qualifying. I wish they would bring back the pit crew challenge.
tfQgXqH.gif

Nice article. I expect times won't drop much further, for the same reasons stated. I do wonder if Nascar will ever put any kind of limitations on pit stops to cut costs, though. Having a dedicated team for over the wall, training facilities, coaches, etc is very expensive.

much rather watch that than knockout qualifying, hands down

"wheels with one lug nut" Like Indy cars. NASCAR might consider it if they become standard on street cars, but it would have to apply to all makes.

"someone invents an impact wrench which can take off all 5 lug nuts at once" I've seen articles where people have built those, but I can't remember when or who. I do remember that they decided that it didn't really save time because it took longer to align it over all five nuts, and it was pretty heavy and cumbersome. If you had a problem with one of the nuts then it could mess up the whole works. But if people worked on it enough they might make it work.

"Gas will only come out of the can so fast." Yep, at least using gravity only and the restrictive neck and breather sizes of the can and fuel cell.
A few years ago NASCAR was forced to specify gas can construction because teams were adding vents and changing tube sizes to allow more fuel to flow faster. NASCAR was rightfully concerned about spilling and fires. I think at least one team was trying to pressurize their cans, but I can't prove it.

"They can make the fuel cells smaller" True, but then they'd have to make more pit stops.

I think it was the Wood brothers that came up with the modern gas can. Before that the gas can had little or no venting and took much longer to fuel the cars.

They're already gone from 22 to just under 18 gallon cells. Any further reduction would make more races fuel mileage races IMHO
There will always be fuel mileage races no matter how big the gas tank is. Teams will try to stretch it given every chance. In 2003 they used 22 gallon cells and most of Newman's 8 wins that year were on fuel mileage.

Back
Top Bottom