Interesting Jennifer Belmont Article

M

MCanyon

This is just a portion of an artilcle writen by Andy Belmonts wife, Jennifer, from Andy's website. The article is very interesting, and it gives a little insight into the life of a "field filler". http://www.andybelmont.com/column.dws

I recently came home and in my mailbox was a magazine (and I'll bet you thought I was going to say a check from NASCAR) and on the cover was a well known racing couple with a caption about women who marry racers or something along those lines. I had to read it, and as I did it sounded nothing like me or most of the wives of racers I know. I felt compelled to write this so that you could see what its like to be married to a not so cookie cutter race car driver...............

...........Andy and I both work at the shop. During the week in the office I try to figure out who will get the "Lucky dog" that week and get a payment on account. Some weeks its Hutch some it's BSR, some weeks its no-one.
I do all the quarterly IFTA tax reports for the hauler, inventory in the hauler and shop, file all the receipts and do the tax paperwork. Handle the insurance for the vehicles as well as the toy car and T-shirt sales. Arrange travel carpools for our volunteer guys.
Sometimes I work in the shop itself. I help Jimmy put the decals on the cars, install the radio harness', roll bar padding, help put motors in take them out, work on anything on the car that needs to get done. With any luck I just get away with cleaning the cars.
I am on the run a lot as well, parts picked up, gears dropped off and picked up. Sams to get the food for the race weekend, Staples to get the office supplies. When I am home, I am laundering the crew uniforms, I have gone through 2 washing machines in 6 years. I load the motor home. Yeah it was a 6 figure motor home. It also came with 3 payment books to keep for the next 15 years for all you inquiring minds who need to know.
A couple of the guys that work for us live at our house, one in the basement and one in Brett's room. If Brandon is there he is in the top bunk of Andrew's bed. If Kirk is there he gets the couch.
My crew stay's in our motor home when we are at the races. Andy and I drive it to and from the racetrack. I enjoy driving the motor home, and don't mind cleaning or restocking it either. Lifestyles of the not at all rich and certainly not famous.
At the track, I tell Andy the lap times, I direct the crew, handle the radios, answer questions about where a certain part is on the truck, and help with figuring out what adjustments we need to do to the car. On my 30th birthday I got the privilege to change the oil pump on a Ford motor while it was in our car. A man designed it, not thinking of how difficult it is to take out. That answer's the question "where do I get my nails done."
A manicure on my consists of brake clean and gear oil..............

...................My life is a lot like most of you, I have the same issues to deal with, what to make for dinner, who's got practice, my ice maker wont make ice, clipping coupons, a never ending mound of laundry, from school uniforms to crew uniforms but I take it all with a grain of salt. I love what I do and wouldn't change it. For all of you who cast stones you should remember this, treat someone the way you would want to be treated & you should walk a mile in someone's shoes before you pass judgment. If your job performance was broadcast on network TV each week and people could comment on it, you might think twice about what you say
This past year has been the most challenging for Andy and I, but through our belief in God, the power of prayer and family and friends we have gotten through it.
The entire NASCAR "fieldfillers" experience has taught me a lot also. Some people are just mean spirited and try to knock people down for whatever reason, some don't even have a reason they do it because they can.

Very well written. It certainly is a fresh perspective on the "glamourous" life of racing.

Perhaps it takes more courage to be a "field filler", I don't know. I wouldn't have the stamina. That's just my opinion, your milage may vary.

Very good article..........I hope everyone reads it. It's so easy to just flip out some derogatory to demeaning comment about something we have very little knowledge about..........our "excuse":
Some people are just mean spirited and try to knock people down for whatever reason, some don't even have a reason they do it because they can.

I enjoyed the article, tis always interesting seeing things through some one elses point of view

Having been involved during the 80's and early 90's, can attest the portrait portrayed by Jennifer Belmont is accurate and things have changed.

The women, and men, although still a NASCAR family of sorts, are cliqish and always were. It is more evident today. There are greater pressures and the the drivers are more in demand, so what small measure of time they have for themselves, they guard jealously. The wives of those who have made the grade in Cup racing are a step removed, but they prefer to guard thier privacy as well. They have so little of it.

It has gotten to the point no one of note in NASCAR escapes the spotlight. Their lives are played out in a fish bowl existence. It is hard for the average fan to comprehend what it must be like to always be under a microscope the way the players in NASCAR are today. No wonder they have thier own special motorhome parking areas.

It used to be if tools or personal items were left out in the garage area, they were safe. Not any more. Everyone wants a souvenir and nothing is sacred. Going to visit a team shop was a priveledge and things were left alone. Now some teams keep barriers or permit spectators in specific areas. They might tell you it is due to insurance regulations, and it might well be a part of the reason, but theft by souvenir hunters is a major concern as well.
A "back marker" or "field filler" has always had a rough go of it and there are still teams willing to assist them, but times and attitudes have changed. All in keeping with the growth of the sport.

One example of the trials and tribulations experienced by a "back marker/field filler" team is they must travel by transporter or motorhome from race to race.

Even the lowest sponsored team on the regular schedule has a plane ticket, which might not be as classy as having your own private jet, but it is still a step above traveling from the east coast to the west coast in a motor vehicle.

From my experience after six years being a "nobody", the time consumed, constant shuffling from track to track and long hours became tiring and the scene lost the luster quickly.

Realistically speaking, the life is not as glamorous as it might seem on the surface and I really wonder how many could or would stand the grind of taking nine months from every year and putting it on the road, doing the same thing every week. Guarantee the percentage is small.

Excellent response Whiz,
most guys trying aren't as lucky as Andy in having a wife and family supporting him in his efforts. Many women cannot compete with the race car. As my ex-wife told me, "if it was a woman I would beat the crap out of her, but I can't compete with the car and racing."

I do support and applaud these guys efforts and hope they all make it. I understand the dream.
However, it does not change my view that these guys need to be faster. Maximum 10 mph slower than fastest car. And...... this should be done at qualifing!! A car 10 mph faster should not be sent home allowing a car 18 mph slower to start in the field only to be black flagged 3 laps into the race for going to slow. JMHO

It's nice to see a different perspective...Go Andy!

Can anybody picture Brooke Gordon doing the things that Jennifer Belmont is doing? :p

Back
Top Bottom