Iowa Speedway Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1718059356704.png

37 entries for Cup at Iowa. 15-Grala 16-Allmendinger 66-Starr
1718059433148.jpeg

I was so excited about this race until the images of the repave came out. This car blows on single groove tracks.

I was so excited about this race until the images of the repave came out. This car blows on single groove tracks.
Hopefully they go back and do the rest of it after the Indy weekend next month. The article^ makes it sound like they simply didn’t have the time to do the whole track at once. A fully repaved track with progressive banking would be okay.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Iowa​

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 17 – 400 laps / 350 miles
Iowa Speedway (0.875-mile oval) – Newton, Iowa Fast Facts for June 14-16, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits:
3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 10 sets for the race
(9 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes:
Left-side — D-5208; Right-side — D-5220

Tire Circumference:
Left-side — 2,249 mm (88.54 in.); Right-side — 2,276 mm (89.61 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 14 psi; Left Rear — 14 psi;
Right Front — 30 psi; Right Rear — 28 psi

Storyline – Cup cars ready for first race on partially repaved Iowa Speedway: Iowa Speedway was originally built in 2006 and after many years of patching the track, larger sections of the corners have now been repaved for the first NASCAR Cup race at the facility. Some of the original pavement remains, so the grip level will vary, with the repaved sections having more grip than the original sections. The surface also features several bumps — specifically entering turn one — that will challenge drivers.
“Iowa fits into our short track group of tracks from a tire construction standpoint,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We were able to hold a confirmation test there just last month, right after the repaving was completed. We learned a lot about the surface and were able to confirm the same tire set-up we raced as the ‘Prime’ tire in the All-Star race at North Wilkesboro. There will be a lot of grip on the new sections in the corners, but the existing sections down the straightaways still have a lot of character.”

Notes – Cup cars on All-Star “Prime” tire at Iowa: This is the inaugural event for the NASCAR Cup cars at Iowa Speedway . . . being on the 18-inch bead diameter tire, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that Cup teams ran as the “Prime” tire set-up at the All-Star race at North Wilkesboro last month . . . they are also scheduled to run this tire set-up at New Hampshire next week . . . this set-up was confirmed at a Goodyear test at Iowa on May 28 . . . teams participating in that test were the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet with Kyle Larson, No. 6 Roush-Fenway-Keselowski Ford with Brad Keselowski and No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota with Christopher Bell . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars do not run inner liners in any of their tires.
Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear to bring wet weather tires to Iowa: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radial tires to Iowa for the NASCAR Cup cars, should NASCAR determine that conditions warrant . . . Cup teams will have a maximum of 4 sets of wet weather tires for the event . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition at Richmond in April . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

Hopefully Daugherty will pop a top knot on gerbil Jeff quickly and shut down the running off at the mouth.

Hopefully Daugherty will pop a top knot on gerbil Jeff quickly and shut down the running off at the mouth.

Still going with the 4 man booth. ugh I was hoping it was going to be Rick with the two analysts and I used that term loosely for the other two.

Still going with the 4 man booth. ugh I was hoping it was going to be Rick with the two analysts and I used that term loosely for the other two.
I was trying to picture all four gerbils in full song. Brad will add some base, Jeff is squeaking three octaves higher, Steve in the mid range and Boomer will be over the top blowing out everybody else. CAUTION!!!

So pumped for this race. Sold out almost immediately and it’s a very low grip track due to its shape and length. It’s a little wider racing groove than Richmond, restarts are always insane at this place

So pumped for this race. Sold out almost immediately and it’s a very low grip track due to its shape and length. It’s a little wider racing groove than Richmond, restarts are always insane at this place
It’s now super high grip on the bottom with an un-useable top. It’ll look just like a Richmond race.

It’s now super high grip on the bottom with an un-useable top. It’ll look just like a Richmond race.
It looked like a bad Richmond race from the day they built it. Never liked it for the lower series not excited for Cup.

Comments like these are hilarious. Go read the Xfinity race thread from back in 2019, folks absolutely loved it
:rolleyes: sorry for not being a part of the hive mind that wants bad racetracks.

Richmond still catching strays and it’s not even their race week! Show some decorum RF’s.com!!

Larson said there are some bumps going into turn one. Restarts should be good going into one if nothing else. Plenty of fights for the lower line, maybe less in the late stages if the new stuff starts slicking off. It is still a bumpy track.

Larson said there are some bumps going into turn one. Restarts should be good going into one if nothing else. Plenty of fights for the lower line, maybe less in the late stages if the new stuff starts slicking off. It is still a bumpy track.
Im optimistic it’s going to be a fun and entertaining race

I think it is large enough that it won't be a typical short track single file race. These guys aren't siting still with car improvements. Everybody is going faster.
I hope those fellas get a second groove going on the top and maybe even a third by the wall, then it’ll get nuts

I'm excited to see Cup race at Iowa, I hope this all works out

Hard to tell from the shots we’ve seen so far, but if Bell says they can go two-wide on the ‘grip strip’ it might be alright. And still bumpy enough on entry that you can hopefully get unsettled under braking.

That place has deserved a Cup race for a long time and they deserve a good race this Sunday evening.

I’m excited to see a race where we actually will be more informed on stuff happening around the track, get good replays, and not have all these tight shots.

I just bought an extra-large Sam's Club-size case of the extra-strength, extra-concentrate Gerbitol. I have syringes on hand to shoot up the stuff if Jeff Burton gets really bad.

I also have loud fireworks, etc., to use as a diversion to keep people from thinking I actually listen to the Gerbals in the event that anyone might drop by during the race.

I am trying to be as prepared as I can. We are just now getting over my uncle puncturing his eardrums a couple of years ago and choosing to be deaf as an alternative. He has had a constant, victorious smile on his face ever since he won that war, but I am just not quite ready to take that step.

On a positive note the jaw arthritis slowed down Takeru Kobayashi the famous hot dog eater, maybe it will eventually happen to the Gerbils.

Gawd help us all.

I just bought an extra-large Sam's Club-size case of the extra-strength, extra-concentrate Gerbitol. I have syringes on hand to shoot up the stuff if Jeff Burton gets really bad.

I also have loud fireworks, etc., to use as a diversion to keep people from thinking I actually listen to the Gerbals in the event that anyone might drop by during the race.

I am trying to be as prepared as I can. We are just now getting over my uncle puncturing his eardrums a couple of years ago and choosing to be deaf as an alternative. He has had a constant, victorious smile on his face ever since he won that war, but I am just not quite ready to take that step.

On a positive note the jaw arthritis slowed down Takeru Kobayashi the famous hot dog eater, maybe it will eventually happen to the Gerbils.

Gawd help us all.

Yesterday I took a picture of some foam earplugs and sent it to my friend with "ready for NBC to take over coverage"

Went to Iowa about 12 years ago for an Xfinity race. I was very impressed with the "hospitality" at the track and what a great family atmosphere it was. I hope the Cup guys can put on a good race there.

Gawd help us all.
I went looking for a tube of Gerbileze, so Gerbitrol work better?

Back
Top Bottom