iPhone 5S

Hey everyone, let's run out and spend hundreds of dollars on the exact same thing we already have with maybe one(if you're lucky) new feature!!!

dont need the 5s, but will probably pick up the 5C.

I had a 4s, dropped it and broke the screen, sold it for twice what I paid for it last year. So now I'm using my old 4 for now, I'll use the money I made on my 4s to purchase the 5c.

4 is godawful slow, I use my phone for much more than phone calls.

howbout that note3? i have the note 1, if I have the money, I might get the 3 on next upgrade.

I have the 4S right now. Not going to upgrade to the 5 anytime soon. No need to yet. My 4s and my old iPhone 4 still work great - unlike Android phones which you have to replace every year (if you're lucky).

I have used every iPhone and I have used several Android phones (since there are 11,000 of them out there, I cannot physically use every Android phone). While part of that has to do with my job, I am simply a hopeless geek fanboy and always want to try all of the latest and greatest.

Android is making some good strides, but I still use an iPhone as my daily driver and have ever since they came out. HTC One is a close second, based on its build quality and its decent screen. It's too big for one handed use, though, and runs Android. Otherwise, it would be a killer phone for me.

The iPhone has a well-designed user interface that is consistent across most of the platform. Once you learn the ins and outs of what the core apps do, you can pretty much figure out how any third-party app works (provided it's designed thoughtfully). The look and feel is very stable, intuitive, and fluid, all the way back to the original iPhone. Apple made sure to get that right before they started adding anything else. They've done that the whole time, holding back on features until they felt they fit with the rest of the system. Sometimes they missed the mark, sure, nobody's perfect. But the core of the experience is to be responsive and easy to use. That never faltered, even if specific features left something to be desired. And they never, ever have carrier crapware. Apple bucked that trend by enforcing a single user experience across all of their phones no matter what carrier.

Android started with more features at the expense of a cohesive experience. They gradually came to realize the fluidity of the UI mattered (my guess is once they hired Matias Duarte away from Palm), so they started addressing that back in Android 4.1 or so. There's still so much of it that lacks refinement, though, and I constantly run into one or two things a day on Android that remind me why it's still not my main phone. There are too many cooks in the kitchen. If you manage to figure out one part of Android, watch out, because the next part will take something you learned there and turn it upside down. This is somewhat mitigated by making sure you get a "Google experience" device, but even then, there are still different experiences within the same first-party features.

Good Android phones are hard to come by, you basically have to go out of your way to get them. The vast majority is bogged down with crappy manufacturer customizations that add bloat, differentiate the experience, and make it that much harder to figure out. I have the Note 2 and it's chock full of half-baked software that isn't very well thought out. Then there's the carrier, who often tacks on their own crapware on top of what the manufacturer does. Android is basically the cell phone carrier's best friend--they can do whatever they want with it, because it is "open." That makes it a nightmare to try and support, because you have an infinite number of combinations of hardware, apps, and use cases. Just ask anyone who's tried to develop an app or an accessory for Android. I'm up to my eyeballs in compatibility issues between my hardware and Android devices, the Galaxy S3 being one of the culprits, and there are no fewer than 20 different SKUs of the Galaxy S3 that might behave differently than the Galaxy S3 I have here.

Plus, I don't want to settle for lesser hardware just to get a screen size that I can use with one hand (4" is pushing it as it is), so that rules out every Android phone for the last 2 years. All of the top of the line phones are ending up at 4.7" or higher. In the 4.3" or smaller screen size range, they stick last-generation processors with crippled GPUs. I game on my phones, so having less than top of the line hardware means I get less than a stellar gaming experience.

With each new iPhone, I get a top of the line piece of hardware in a usable screen size. There's always the haters that say the S stands for same, Apple isn't innovating, etc. This is not exclusive to the iPhone 5S. Every iPhone before it was criticized for being too similar to the last one. Well, they already reinvented the wheel in 2007. They can't do that every year. They are suffering from the same problem Microsoft faces with Windows - it's so popular that it is difficult and dangerous to do too many different things with it from one revision to the next. Despite that, they still pack an amazing amount of improvements each time when you get down to it.

The 64-bit processor is an impressive leap itself. Doubling the speed of the phone every year as they have over the last 3 years, that's nothing to sneeze at. Plus, a fingerprint sensor that's actually usable. And a better camera without having one of those ugly bumps on the back. And a coprocessor to more efficiently handle motion data. This is pretty decent stuff from a hardware standpoint.

If you want to talk about same, just look at Samsung - the original Note is a bigger S2. The Note 2 is a bigger S3. The S4 is a smaller Note 2. The Note 3 is a bigger S4. Yawn. They own half of the Android market because they sandblast it with every screen size imaginable, with features packed in for the sake of having more features. They don't have very good focus, so they can't make one or two products stand out as clear winners. What little focus they do have is on all the wrong things, "look how much technology we can pack into this phone," rather than "look at what we can do with this technology." These are problems that many Android manufacturers have.

I remember my Atrix, which touted the world's first dual core processor in a phone, and sported a fingerprint sensor, of sorts. It was hilariously bad. Enrolling my fingerprint into the Atrix involved about 20 minutes of farting around with it trying to swipe not too fast, not too slow, but just right. Then, when I wanted to unlock the phone. I needed to press that button and then swipe it, not too fast, not too slow, but just right. Usually two or three times. And that dual core processor went to waste with Android.

Given that, I'm more looking forward to the iPhone 5S than the Note 3. I am intrigued by the rumors of the Nexus 5, but it looks like it's going to be Yet Another Giant Ass Phone. I think it will take an enormous, concerted effort from all of the captains to steer Android in the right direction for the kind of phone I want. Either that, or through sheer luck or brute force, someone like HTC will hit another one out of the park with great hardware design and pair it with a version of Android that won't make me want to stab somebody.

Last edited:
Fury I have a Samsung flip top Verizon that makes really good phone calls and I don't know what else it can do, does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:

I did not mean to give the impression that somebody is a bad person based on what phone they use. I apologize. I was just explaining, in painstaking detail, why my choice is for iPhone. I am not a fanboy, nor do I flame those who disagree with my assessment, but I am rather opinionated about my own personal likes & dislikes in phones. My ultimate philosophy is if it does what you want to do, and doesn't cause you any problems, then more power to you. Flip phones don't do what I want them to do anymore, none of which is making phone calls, so they are not for me. Nobody is a bad person for using a Samsung or an Apple or a flip phone. Actually, I'm kind of jealous, because my addiction to the latest & greatest tech is rather expensive. :beerbang:

I guess I should have put more smilies and stuff, I thought I was just being a funny smartass, I have the utmost regard for you. :D :cheers:

I guess I should have put more smilies and stuff, I thought I was just being a funny smartass, I have the utmost regard for you. :D :cheers:
In that case, in the interest of fun, how dare you use a phone different than mine?! A hex on you and your family and your next of kin and your descendants for a thousand years. Something something Samesung, something something God kills a baby kitten, please think of the kittens. And the horse they rode in on.

Rabble, rabble, rabble :beerbang:

Nexus 5, will be a great replacement to my Nexus 4. If you are going to go Android go with a Nexus device. It is pure android straight from Google. Doesn't run any skin like touchwiz or sense to slow it down. Just Android the way Google meant for it to be.

Fury hit it. I bought an LG Lucid because the hardware was significantly better than the iPhone 4S. It had a much better processor, 4G LTE, a better camera and supposedly better battery life. It worked great for a while, aside from battery life and the fact that LG is incapable of building good phones anymore. What followed was months of hilarity.

I have two iPhones ... an old iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4s. iPhones are just built to last. Based on my experience, I doubt an Android phone would work like new after three years.

I'm still using my HTC OneX+, which came after the OneX but before the One. Lol......detractors always try to bag the Sense UI but I'll buy another HTC after this one.
Plus I like to do things a little different and not follow the masses.

And I'll just keep my little Tracfone. hehehe

Makes excellent phone calls. :D
Are these other guys speaking Martian or something TRL, android-htconex+-lucid-crippledcpu-uifluidity-sku-4glte, woulda been good code talkers during the war. :D

And without this love of microsdxc-hdamoled4glte-idspispopd to share, I'd be a pretty boring person. :p

android-hd-wallpapers.jpeg

because you got the wrong android phone, get a nexus device and you can't go wrong.

Alright, you convinced me to give Android one more shot. My Galaxy Note 3 will be in tomorrow. I'll put it to the test as I get a 14 day try out. I really liked some of the features and the 5s really wasn't what I was expecting. Hopefully its just my HTC is a POS and not Android.

i have an old BB that has been dropped a million times still makes calls and i get my email what else do you need

Alright, you convinced me to give Android one more shot. My Galaxy Note 3 will be in tomorrow. I'll put it to the test as I get a 14 day try out. I really liked some of the features and the 5s really wasn't what I was expecting. Hopefully its just my HTC is a POS and not Android.
Let me know what you think. I have the Note 1 and the 3 will be my next upgrade....if not the 4. depends how long this one lasts.

I'm still using my HTC OneX+, which came after the OneX but before the One. Lol......detractors always try to bag the Sense UI but I'll buy another HTC after this one.
Plus I like to do things a little different and not follow the masses.

Has hell frozen over?...... I bought a 5S a couple of weeks ago. A small screen although easier to carry and rather dated looking interface but it works well.
Starting to really like it.

Has hell frozen over?...... I bought a 5S a couple of weeks ago. A small screen although easier to carry and rather dated looking interface but it works well.
Starting to really like it.
I loved the iPhones I had. My Note is actually only my second Android phone as I had a HTC before it (which I hated). I was gonna switch back but I couldn't do it as the screen was too small. Hopefully the next will be bigger, but it'll take a lot to get me not to stay with the Note line.

Magnethead: The 3 is great, the upgrade in the screen makes a lot of difference. I'm curious to see what they do with the 4 so if you haven't upgraded yet and you can wait it may be worth it. Only problem I've had is with the new charging port and charger. Luckily you can still use the old one to charge, just not as fast.

Back
Top Bottom