Irwindale Speedway

W

WideOpenPhoto

Hey all you southern californios......

Anyone interested in going to Irwindale this weekend?.. Jesse James is doing the double again in his super late and Figure 8 car. I am taking the family.

Here is the Irwindale press release

SUPER STAR JESSE JAMES PULLS DOUBLE DUTY
RUNNING HIS WILD FIGURE 8 CAR + HIS SUPER LATE

Irwindale, Calif. - - These days in racing the word super is as almost as overused as the word fantastic!. Super-this, super-that Well, LA's Half Mile SUPER Speedway has got a whole nightful of SUPER for the fans, and it's really gonna be FANTASTIC, trust me.

We've got the Lucas Oil SUPER Late Models, the Vista Paint SUPER Stocks, the NAPA Auto Parts SUPER Trucks, and the super-wild Pick Your Part Figure 8 machines, all on schedule and all ready to rocket around the high banks and ricochet off the tight and nerve-wracking twisted 8 infield course.

NOTE: The normal set of 'graphs that go here traditionally talk about who's leading the points in each of the above divisions, who is expected to do what, and all that sort of pre-race hype. We usually even attach the hometowns to each driver's name at least once to regionalize and localize the interest in the show.

All of that is on the Irwindale website, very ably installed there by two dedicated and hard working individuals named Dick and Gerhard (and no, event though the name is familiar, they don't work a lounge act at Stateline during their spare time).

To find out all the number stuff and all the possible permutations just go to www.irwindalespeedway.com and punch up the driver standings in each of the above divisions. You'll find that Pursley, Houwen, Holeman/Petersen (tie), and Rogers/Proctor (tie) are leading the above enumerated divisions and by 40, 31, 40, and 4 points. You'll also be able to note for yourself the exact number of races run as well as the number left to run so as to get some idea of the urgency (or possible lack thereof) of doing well this Saturday night.

But that not what this release is all about. This release is really about the real SUPER part of the show, the wonderful King Taco On-Track Autograph Session.

Not to be missed, this pre-race event really sets the tone for the night. It's about the people, it's about the drivers, their machines, their crews, and the families. One never knows who gets the most out of the 45-minute session, the drivers or the fans. Smiles abound, good wishes are the order of the day; everyone's potential winner and every driver is a big time NASCAR hero in the eyes of the hundreds of young fans who stream down onto the track each week.

When presented with a comp. ticket the other day, a young fan earnestly asked, Will Jeff Gordon be racing?No, he's racing somewhere else on Saturday night, was the answer. A day later, stepping onto the Irwindale racing surface for the first time, and being greeted by the sight of not one, but almost a hundred colorful racing cars, and an equal number of colorful racing drivers, that youngster forgot all about Jeff Gordon.

These NASCAR racing drivers were all standing there waiting for the fans to come to them, equipped with autograph pens, hero cards, and, in some cases, candy. These drivers were not fleeting electronic images nor fleeing across the tarmac to a waiting helicopter. In an instant (and forgive us Mr. Gordon) Jeff Gordon no longer mattered to a young fan, he was being shown the interior of a real NASCAR stock car by a real NASCAR driver from the real driver's seat.

You can't make the connection any better than this. Meet the driver, shake their hand, tell tem your name, see their car up close (maybe even sit in it!), get your program autographed, and then take your seat not more than 30 yards from that very spot. Pretty cool and a regular feature of every night, every NASCAR race at Irwindale Speedway.

The above on-track adventure begins at 5:30PM As they advise on the radio: BE THERE!

Gates open at 4PM and racing starts at 7PM. All of Irwindale's races may be heard locally on radio station KTIE590AM out of San Bernardino, or over the internet world-wide on www.ktie590.com.

FOR MORE MEDIA INFORMATION: Doug Stokes (626) 358-1100 x 206

ADD: TV'S JESSE JAMES BRINGS A NEW LEVEL OF EXCITEMENT & FAN INTEREST TO FIGURE-8
RACING AT IRWINDALE!

Irwindale, Calif. - - He's the guru of the Monster Garage and the Wizard of West Coast Choppers and he's rapidly becoming the Emperor of the Irwindale Figure-8's. He's Jesse James distant (but honest-to-Frank) same-named relative of the betrayed bank robber and he's one of reality TV's most recognizable stars.

When Jesse is at one of our pre-race autograph sessions we bring in extra security just to be ready to close down the line when we need to start racing, said Bob DeFazio Irwindale's COO/VP. No one even Tony Stewart or Rusty Wallace have ever had longer autograph lines than Jesse. And, his fans run the gamut from 3 to 83 they all love this guy, they're wearing West Coast Choppers hats and T-Shirts and they all want to meet their hero in person!

James, for his part really seems to enjoy his celebrity Pausing for a photo, tousling the hair of a small admirer, or posing with an awe-struck fan or three.

But, all of the above is prolog to Jesse's new mantra of making Figure-8 racing at Irwindale, the top of the line, premier feature attraction that he knows it will be. Jesse has now taken on the mantle of the master of motorized mix-em-up on the criss-cross course at Irwindale. He towed out (by himself) to the Figure-8 World Championships last year in Indianapolis and made a bunch of new friends and saw some cars that were so hot that they even impressed him!

We've got a good thing going with the Figure-8 cars at Irwindale, they're exciting and they get a lot of new fan's attention, said James. Racers have got to know that Irwindale is the place for real racing excitement and that the fans will be out in force to see them there. Watching Figure-8 on TV is like, like well it's just not very cool. You've got to be here to hear the sounds of the near-misses, the brush-bys, and the hits There's no sound just quite like it!

James will be competing in both the Figure 8 race as well as the Super Late Model event, he's just got to remember which one has the cross-roads and which is straight ahead round and round on the oval.

Oh yes, unless he's working feverishly on his car, he'll be out for the autograph session, fans should really get here early for this one!

Hey WOP!! :D Cutie and I have been threatening to go the Irwindale forever........but, we seem to always let something come up to interfere! :( I'm trying to talk Cutie into making plans to go Saturday!! :wub: Got a couple of questions for ya if you can answer them. I heard the gates open at 4:00pm..........should we try to be there when the gates open? And on that note, should we purchase the tickets online ahead of time or is the ticket booth a good way to go? How's the parking? We would be coming from the San Fernando Valley via the 210/605.......I know the traffic patterns for week days but with a big event like this Saturday, would it be wise to plan on heavy traffic this Saturday? And, finally, if we go you want my cell number? We could enjoy a cold drink and hot dog together before the races start!! :D

Hey, guys, "WE" have been invited by some froinds to go to
Irwindale too. Prolly NOT this Saturday, but soon. They are getting the tix and
we will meet them there. They are NASCAR nuts too. Met Shelli at
one of my fav restaurants in Brea. She is one heckofa waitress!!
One fine dining place too!!! Wee bit pricey, but well worth it!!!
Maybe we could all meet when I find out when they plan on going!!
drogs3fsms.gif

I would love to meet you again, lady!! :) Can't speak for Cutie, but I know her (heck, I'm married to her :D )................she feels the same!!

Hey guys... Ok, here is the deal.. You really don't need to be there at 4. The ontrack autograph session starts at 5 or 6 and that is pretty cool. All the drivers line up on the front stretch and sign autographs to whomever want them..

They run the heats earlier in the day so the only thing we get to see is the Features. Absolutely great racing. Everyone stays for the figure 8's which is the final race of the night...

Please come.. I am bring the family and we can all sit together. It is an opportunity for lots of fun. If you guys decide to go, I will email you my cell #.

Oh yeah.. plenty of parking..... plenty

can't wait to go now.....getting pretty excited......someone told me Jesse James owns a shop "westcoast choppers" looked it up on the net..prett neat.......
and also..that he is dating Sandra Bullock........wonder if she will be there tomorow night cheering him on...signing autographs..hmmmmmm lets hope so...... :D

wonder if it is ok to wear my jeff gordon bracelet? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll leave the shirt, socks, hat tote bag, jacket etc at home.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D Can't wait either Cutie Pie. :D

I can't wear all my Tony stuff?? B) LOL

I already got the car packed and ready to go. :D

oh good Eagle1..getting it all together...this time tomorow night we will be racing...... :D :D
wonder what the weather is gonna be like there.......probably HOT.....
:D

oh.....DE said he is wearing his Jr hat..... :lol: :lol:

Hey, I'm wearing my Jr hat!! They wouldn't dare take it away from me would they? :blink:

About the only thing I can think of to make sure we take is plenty of water........it's getting warm again and Irwindale can get quite hot in the late afternoon!! :) Oh, and that quirky digital camera of mine (the one that let me down while cutie was getting her race ticket autographed by Robby Gordon last month)........I found out it has a very small buffer for pictures and I was trying to take too many, too fast!! :(

I just got another digital camara yesterday, cause mine went funky at Fontana too. I stayed up half the night last night figuring out how to work it. LOL Got a few bottles of water in the freezer to help keep the others cold.

See Ya this evening. :D

can't wait either.......about 7 more hours till we leave......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh my...come on clock..go faster........still have about 2 hours before we leave for irwindale......wonder if openwidephoto, dragonlady, and eagle1 have left yet??? we're all meeting down there....... :D

we're getting ready to leave in about 20 minutes or so......gotta do the cooler.....make sure i have everything I want to bring..so we will see you down there eagle1.............can't wait...... :D :D

I did the water in the freezer too..thanks for the tip..... :D

I live in LB. Won't leave until after the Belmont....LOL.. Gotta love racing... ANY TYPE....

Had a lot of fun last night at Irwindale Speedway.. Met up with 4 other board members and showed them what a figure 8 race was. Hope they had fun!

We had a lot of fun last................Irwindale could become a habit!! :D Great idea, WOP :) :cheers:

Same here guys! Loved it, great little race track. I think it could be a very pleasent habit. :D

last? wake up DE.......you forgot the night part.......

we had a ball.......I loved it...........the figures 8's...were VERY EXCITING.....yep, that can become a habit.....wish we had gone a long time ago..... :D :D
thanks Wideopen......glad you coaxed us to go.... :lol: and thanks eagle1 and dragonlady for going also..made the night perfect..... :D

Great facility. Had a pretty impressive crowd there but there wasn't a long wait at the bathroom, concessions, or to get out of the gates at the end of the race. Took us about 5 mins to walk to the truck, we waited in the truck for about 5 mins for some of the parking lot traffic to clear, then about 5 mins to get back to the freeway................30 mins later we were taking the dogs out for their relief walk!! :D Not bad, not bad at all!! :cheers:

Cutie got a ton of autographs!! And her "King Taco" number 13 won both races!! She fell in love with that car when we were out on the track meeting the drivers and looking at the cars!! Darned good 1/2 mile paved oval!! :cheers:

Hey Kat I'd need a little longer notice to get to Hotlanta LOL. You got some great race tracks right in your neck of the woods. Dixie in Woodstock comes to mind. :D I raced there in the 70's a young guy name Bill Elliot raced there then too. Also Lanier Speedway in Brazelton is a great little track. ASA races there a lot too.

Been to BOTH Dixie and Lanier! Road Atlanta is KEWL!

I haven't seen a figure 8 race in a LOOOOOONG time and I wish they would show them on SPEED!

Mercy!!!!!!! I did sleep in this AM. Didn't realize I was so beat!
I had a blast!!!!! Loved getting to meet W.O.P and his adorable
little daughter. She is a pretty lil thing that could just about
weedle ya right outta hour hot dawggie!!! LOL She did get a good
portion of our"funnel Cake"! LOL
As usual, Cutipie and I and her hubby had a ball too. Our first time there!
The roar of those cars isn't quite like the thunder of the big
NASCAR stock cars, so we didn't really need our scanners.
I laffed and screamed during all the events; but that last figure
8 was down right exciting!!! Good fun, good friends, and I sure hope
Eagle1 takes me again to another night at Irwindale!!!!!
Getting to meet up with such great peeps as last night just puts the ole icing
on the cake!!!!! Wanna go again; soooooooon!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
lds2.gif

Ok, so the next time we go, I owe one funnel cade and one bag of peanuts.

I also slept in this morning a little bit dragonlady.....and was still tired even after I got up.......but it was a good tired..well worth the night before..... :D
can't get those figure 8's out of my head...they were great...... :D

W.O.P little daughter is a little doll......she can sit on my lap anytime and watch the race with me, well mannered and just a sweet little girl.....enjoy her at this age WOP, cause they grow up very fast....... :(

sure we can go again and again and again.........it was fun.......loved every minute of it......can't say any part I did not like....even liked the trucks, and I am not a truck watcher either........but just might start watching nascar trucks now......so see positive came out of this whole event......

thanks everyone for a fun fun fun night...... :D
:

and the funnel cake was excellent........ :D can't make a habit of that to much though, gotta lose 20 more lbs... :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes

Yeh, Cutiepie, that Funnel Cake sure was good, but I was lookin at them dern calories!!! LOL
Had a wonderful time. Pickin a driver and vehicle was fun. You and your lucky 13. LOL
At least my 99 finished 3rd both times. ROTFLMBO!!!!!
Let's do it again: SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
W.O.P. Bring that lil darlin too!!!!!

Look out, Irwindale, ya got some more fans!!!!!
cloudiespin.gif
cloudiepeek.gif
cloudiemarshmallow.gif

Are we gonna try for the 26th????

Originally posted by dragonlady424@Jun 8 2004, 07:23 PM
Are we gonna try for the 26th????
Are we hoping Tony will show up since he's going to be up in Sonoma for the Infineon race? It's only 300 something miles!! :D

dragonlady..you got it......I got a driver now for irwindale.....number 13.....KING TACO CAR....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony Stewart..........ya works for me........ :D :D :D

no more funnel cakes for me........no more leaky coolers, and sweatshirts or jackets A MUST..it was chilly.....my IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY SWEATSHIRT..DE got me when we went....isn't he so sweet?

and W.O.P. you gotta bring your little girl again..... :D

Just a hop skip and a jump when you got your own plane. ;)

The USAC Ford Focus series will be there that night also, I believe that's the series Erin Crocker just scouted by ford is running in. :bounce: :rolleyes:

And Burbank and Ontario airports less than 45 mins drive away too!! :D

If I go this time... I am shooting it.. Best seat in the house.. right in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom