Is it just me...

G

gordon24fan

.....or are way to many races coming down to fuel strategy these days?

Sure looks like it when a tea cup of fuel means the differnce between winning and loseing.

Just a matter of when or where the yellow flag comes out. I thought Dale Jr had the race in his hand until Rusty Wallace had a dance with the sand pit. It also comes down to who can build engines, who can stretch that fuel mileage, I know teams lke DEI, Penske and Roush can do all of that. For Dale Jr, and alot of others to be able to run 10 or so extra laps on fuel mileage means that they can compete for the win while others cant

Originally posted by gordon24fan@Aug 10 2003, 08:46 PM
.....or are way to many races coming down to fuel strategy these days?
I think pit strategy has always played a major role in racing. Today it is at a higher level than ever before because a greater number of crew chiefs or owners are savvy on making changes and coping with the uncertain events that unfold during a race. Case in point, the move by Kevin Hamlin and Robbie Gordon

In the past, it was the Petty's, then the Wood Brothers, and when Junior Johnson became an owner who hired drivers, he was possibly one of the best race strategists ever in NASCAR, for years.

Childress came along and Hendrick with Gary Nelson, and of course, Ray Evernham. These were all top crew chiefs. Today, with NASCAR mandating equalization of cars and the areo plus engineering, crew chiefs with that ability are sought after. The ones who have the talent needed to out guess and out maneuver the other team are more plentiful, bringing the fuel strategy into play more often because there are more of them with the capabilities to make immediate decisions than in the past.

It wasn't that long ago when a crew chief might have been paid $30 to $35,000 per year. Today it has been reported a good crew chief can command $150,000 and up. But they need results and to prove they are the real deal. :D

Also, since they reduced the fuel cell size, it shrinks the 'can we make it' factor by 20 laps or so (average) which is really pretty significant in my book...

If I was 80 lap out and knew I could make 75, I'd wager on a Yellow....but under 50 is a LOT riskier!

Just a few years back every time a caution came out you came to pit road to get tires because they gave up before you were out of fuel but with the tire that Goodyear is bringing to the track you don't have to have tires so you go to the end of a fuel run before you get to the end of a tire run in which it will end in a fuel milage race.Just my .02

Good point, now that you mention it tire don't seem to as much of an issue even in comparison to last year....

Just an oberservation, maybe even a bad one..... :D

I think the fuel cell size is reduced only at restrictor plate tracks. I might be wrong and if I am it isn't the first time and doubtful it will be the last.

think the fuel cell size is reduced only at restrictor plate tracks.

Oh, I think you are right about that....I get something in my head and it takes a 2x4 to knock it out...

Anyone else out there 'certain' on this????

Originally posted by Splunge@Aug 10 2003, 04:26 PM
think the fuel cell size is reduced only at restrictor plate tracks.

Oh, I think you are right about that....I get something in my head and it takes a 2x4 to knock it out...

Anyone else out there 'certain' on this????
Smaller fuel cells are used only at Daytona and Talladega. Whizzer is correct on this one!

Smaller fuel cells are used only at Daytona and Talladega. Whizzer is correct on this one!

Thanks! They made such a big deal back at Daytona (500) I guess I just figured it was a permanent change. Doh'!

So much for my 'fuel strategy'! :lol:

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom