Is this actually faster, or does it just look cool?

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
I follow a lot of dirt racing pages on various social media platforms because I do love dirt racing. From time to time, they'll post pictures like this. Granted this does look cool, but is it actually faster? In my mind, you'd want all four tires on the racing surface for better control and better exit off the corner. However, I never been in the ****pit of a real dirt car (just on iRacing), so I don't really know. Can anyone help me?

FasterorNo.jpg

Setups that carried the LF were all the rage in the early '00s as I recall. @kkfan91 has it right, that was the idea at the time. The suspension knowledge in late models has grown exponentially with simulation and engineering minds like Kevin Rumley, and that has trickled down to modifieds and stocks. Alas, it's not faster. You want to maximize the tire contact patch on all four corners.

Setups that carried the LF were all the rage in the early '00s as I recall. @kkfan91 has it right, that was the idea at the time. The suspension knowledge in late models has grown exponentially with simulation and engineering minds like Kevin Rumley, and that has trickled down to modifieds and stocks. Alas, it's not faster. You want to maximize the tire contact patch on all four corners.

See, that's what I was thinking!

Wow! Most cars with bodies like that (original post picture) are in classes with rules that would not allow suspensions that could achieve so much left rear body elevation. I'm curious about what class this car is in, and under what rules package.

In general, to achieve the most speed you need the most grip. Typically you need all four tires gripping the track for that. However, if losing the grip of the left front doesn't cost as much speed as you get from highly loading the other tires, you can get away with it. Need to be careful that you don't overload those remaining gripping tires - if you overheat any tire its grip approaches zero quickly... which in turn can cause the car to travel where you don't want it to... and you'll need that left front tire to exit the turns unless the track is banked enough to turn you.

Sprint cars and other high power classes typically raise their left front tires off the ground due to their very stiff chassis (as well as their suspension designs). They also use larger tires on their right sides that can handle the additional loading. The car in this picture appears to have relatively same size small tires at all four corners. I wonder how long its right side tires handle that loading before they give up.

If this was a street stock class car, the next picture I'd expect to see would include the left rear spring exiting the car.

The wheelie of full body car is due to LR loading and extremely soft RR spring. Originally was to induce rear steer so didn't have to slow car to get around low groove. Last fews months the SLM are carrying LF more than had for several years. Set-up keeps evolving.

Back
Top Bottom