It's all about the exposure

H

HardScrabble

With many teams struggling for sponsorship at both the WC and BGN level, one team is signing sponsors left and right.

None of them are likely big money deals, but it all adds up. The key is with Wally behind the wheel they know TV time is theirs no matter how the car performs. I had some reservations about the Wally racing deal when it was announced. This is one of them.

High Point, N.C. (Aug. 15, 2002 ) – In its third sponsorship agreement in as many weeks, Tommy Baldwin Racing announced today that it has signed on five new associate sponsors for its No. 6 Dodge entry in the NASCAR Busch Series.

Smith Transport, Bickel’s Surplus, Exide Technologies and AutoValue Auto Parts will be associate sponsors on the car beginning this weekend at Michigan International Speedway’s Cabela’s 250. PUG, Inc will join on as an associate at Richmond International Raceway for the Autolite/FRAM 250.

"This has been a great couple of weeks for us sponsorship-wise," said Tommy Baldwin, co-owner and crew chief. "We’re welcoming on board some great companies who understand what NASCAR is all about. We’re excited to show them what a good decision they’ve made by running well this weekend and maybe even ending up in the winner’s circle."

Pepsi is the primary sponsor for this weekend’s race at the two-mile oval in Brooklyn, Mich. NBC commentator Wally Dallenbach will pilot the entry with a special in-car communications package hooked up to the announcement booth. He will also drive the car at Charlotte and Phoenix, while rookie Damon Lusk will be behind the wheel at Richmond for his Busch-series debut.

The five new associate sponsors that will adorn the No. 6 Dodge are both new to NASCAR and previous participants returning to the fast-growing sport.

This is not the first foray into motorsports for Smith Transport, a third party logistics service provider. Smith Transport’s services include warehousing, dedicated temperature controlled and dry van fleets for customers in the United States and Canada. They have previously been associate sponsors of several other teams before settling with Tommy Baldwin Racing this year. Their business philosophy of "Dedicated to Excellence," reflected on the side of their shiny black equipment, fits well with that of the No. 6 team.

New to the sport is Bickel’s Surplus. The central-Pennsylvania chain of family-owned and -operated surplus stores has grown to three discount stores and two warehouses employing more than fifty people since its founding in 1993.

Exide Technologies, which markets its leading brand of automotive batteries through mass retailers and automotive aftermarket distributors, has been involved with motorsports since 1993. Exide will use the partnership to help kick off its new "Go with Exide!" promotion.

"We have a great history in this sport, but our future looks even brighter especially since we have teamed with Tommy Baldwin Racing," said Mike Dever, vice president of marketing and product development at Exide.

San Antonio, Texas-based Aftermarket Auto Part Alliance also has successfully utilized motorsports as a major marketing strategy. The company, which markets the retail outlets of AutoValue, AllPro and Bumper to Bumper, will use the new associate sponsorship to expand its motorsports marketing program.

PUG, Inc., a Jackson, Miss.-based manufacturer of custom cargo all-terrain vehicles (CATV) for outdoor enthusiasts and small landowners, makes its motorsports debut at the Richmond race. Driver Damon Lusk will also be making a debut, as the event is the first Busch series event for the ARCA-series regular.

"We know that the demographics of NASCAR race fans overlay with our customer demographics as well," said PUG President Tom Lutes. "We’re excited about getting our brand out there in the NASCAR community since it fits very well with our brand and personality."

Damon Lusk

Born Sept. 18, 1977
Hometown: Kennewick, Wash.
Marital Status: Single

Lusk got off to a great start in the ARCA Re/Max Series in 2002, with 10 straight Top 10 finishes, inclouding five Top 5 runs and a pair of wins in Atlanta and Pocono...He was second in points when his WP Motorsports team shut down for lack of money...Hooked up with Team West Virginia Inc. and Tommy Baldwin Racing for a one-race deal in the Busch Series, which he hopes might turn into something bigger for the future...Attempted to qualify for a couple of Busch Series races in 2001, but didn't make the field in either...Participated in one Craftsman Truck Series event, finishing an impressive 11th at Texas...Had an impressive first season in the RE/MAX Series in 2000 finishing 19th in the driver points with only 11 starts...Career-best finish was fourth at Atlanta where he led 18 laps...Grabbed the pole at Springfield in his first dirt track appearance...Raced in NASCAR Southwest Series Tour in which he finished fourth in the points in 1999...Also competed in NASCAR Busch Series event at Pikes Peak in 1999...Lusk is a graduate of the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Pikes Peak.

:rolleyes:

http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=14573

Wednesday, August 14, 2002

Rusty? Dallenbach Not Worried

Shawn A. Akers
Senior Editor

Wally Dallenbach isn’t too concerned about being “rusty” for this Saturday’s NASCAR Busch Series Cabela’s 250 at Michigan International Speedway.

That’s because Dallenbach, who has driven a stock car competitively just once in the last 20 months, knows that Tommy Baldwin Racing will put a strong, competitive car underneath him. The rest, he said, will take care of itself.

“I know I’ve got to blow the cobwebs and the rust out, and that’s always in the back of your mind,” said Dallenbach, who, in the interim of trying to find a solid ride has been a color analyst on NBC/TNT’s broadcasts of Winston Cup and Busch Series races. “I was out of the car for half a year and I jumped into Andy Petree’s car at Pocono (last summer) and it didn’t take me long to get back right where I was before.

“Four or five laps into that race (in which he finished 26th in the No. 33 Chevy) and I was comfortable behind the wheel again. I know Tommy’s going to give me a great car this weekend and for the rest of the races we have scheduled this year, so I don’t foresee any problems in that area at all.”

Baldwin, crew chief on Ward Burton’s No. 22 Bill Davis Racing Dodge in the Winston Cup Series, put together a three-race deal for Dallenbach to drive his No. 6 Busch Series Dodge, beginning at Michigan. Dallenbach will also drive the car in races at Lowe’s Motor Speedway (Oct. 12) and Phoenix International Raceway (Nov. 9).

Pepsi is the primary sponsor on the No. 6 Dodge for Dallenbach’s three races. Up-and-coming driver Damon Lusk will pilot the car at Richmond on Sept. 6 and will be primarily sponsored by the West Virginia Division of Tourism.

Another facet of the deal that has put Dallenbach’s mind at ease is that Baldwin himself will be his crew chief, and the car will be pitted by Baldwin’s No. 22 Caterpillar Winston Cup crew.

“We’re pretty excited about this deal and we’ve put a lot of work into the program to get me back in the car” Dallenbach said. “Being out of the car has been a bit frustrating for me because I wasn’t put in that situation on my terms. The TV deal has certainly been a blessing for me, something I needed at the time in a bad way. I’ve enjoyed it and I’ve had a lot of fun with it, but I’m not quite ready to hang up my driving shoes yet. This is a great opportunity for me and we’re looking for some big things from this deal.”

Dallenbach said the two-mile Roger Penske-owned facility has been one of the better tracks for him during his NASCAR career, so that’s a plus for him as well.

“We certainly want to be competitive, and we don’t think a Top 10 is unrealistic for us,” Dallenbach said. “Going to Michigan is a bonus, too, because I’ve had pretty good finishes in a Winston Cup car in the past there. That’s an element we don’t have to worry about.

Viewers of the NBC broadcast on Saturday will get an added treat as they’ll be able to listen to the in-car radio communication between Dallenbach and Baldwin. Dallenbach will also communicate with NBC announcers Allen Bestwick and Benny Parsons during caution periods.

There will also be in-car cameras mounted from several different angles for viewers to enjoy.

Qualifying for the Cabela’s 250 is set for 1:30 p.m. ET Friday. The green flag is scheduled to drop shortly after 1:30 p.m. ET Saturday.

“I was out of the car for half a year and I jumped into Andy Petree’s car at Pocono (last summer) and it didn’t take me long to get back right where I was before."

Right back where Wally was before does not make my heart go pitter patter faster!
:D

I've driven down the interstate faster than Wally was before. :p

Back
Top Bottom