Jayski.com: Las Vegas Motor Speedway downsizing?

Indeed. Bill France Jr and Bruton Smith seriously over expanded capacity in an orgy of building during the 1990s, and their heirs are still struggling with the result. Bill Jr and Bruton and others foolishly viewed the millions of "Nascar Lifestyle" bandwagon fans as structural growth that would continue forever, rather than as a fad. The "Nascar scene" was white hot from coast to coast... until it wasn't. When pop society moved on to graze in a new pasture, the boom went bust. It was a helluva party. And it is a helluva hangover.

Nascar has compounded the fall with lackluster leadership implementing a lackluster vision. I do see major improvements on multiple fronts in the last few years. Current aero rules have made the racing a lot better. The championship format is much better than the last few years. The charter system is an important step in making team ownership viable, although further steps are needed. Policies and rules are more collaborative than previously. I don't know know if it's enough. I don't think any of us do.

Yep, I think you hit it on the head, plus, by removing some of the large structures their maintenance costs for same go to ZERO for those areas.

The sections they are talking about taking out, look to be some of the worst race viewing seats at the track.

Indeed. Bill France Jr and Bruton Smith seriously over expanded capacity in an orgy of building during the 1990s, and their heirs are still struggling with the result. Bill Jr and Bruton and others foolishly viewed the millions of "Nascar Lifestyle" bandwagon fans as structural growth that would continue forever, rather than as a fad. The "Nascar scene" was white hot from coast to coast... until it wasn't. When pop society moved on to graze in a new pasture, the boom went bust. It was a helluva party. And it is a helluva hangover.

Nascar has compounded the fall with lackluster leadership implementing a lackluster vision. I do see major improvements on multiple fronts in the last few years. Current aero rules have made the racing a lot better. The championship format is much better than the last few years. The charter system is an important step in making team ownership viable, although further steps are needed. Policies and rules are more collaborative than previously. I don't know know if it's enough. I don't think any of us do.
This I feel is a good post, what we are seeing is NASCAR getting back to it's proper place in the world, we went through the boom, and now all the bandwagon trend hoping folks have moved on, and NASCAR is settling back down.

Just my take, I have more I could add, but I am tired :laugh:

Nobody thought the series was in trouble in 1995. If it returns to those levels, does that mean it has problems?
That would require some financial adjustments by all parties, including the Nascar stockholders, track owners, team spending levels, and driver incomes. But that would probably still amount to the most financially successful racing series in the world. (A gut-feel comment, not something I have analyzed.)

It is foolish to brand all the people who became Nascar fans in the 90's as "bandwagon fans" who were destined to leave the series as it just isn't true. A lot of the fans could have been retained if Nascar had any kind of vision and plan in place to keep these new customers. Nascar managed to piss them off along with the old guard and to this day compounds poor decision upon poor decision.

Not a bad thing at all but at the same time the health of the series is a little disappointing.

The problem isn't so much that we are heading back to where the series used to be. The problem is that the series is heading toward territory that is worse than how things used to be.

Imagine if Disney World lost 40% of it's customers over the past decade and declared they were "right-sizing" and "enhancing the customer experience" by closing down rides and attractions, maybe even one of their 4 main theme parks. Most people would see right through their BS corporate spin and question their business model. Some NASCAR fans choose to neglect facts when being told the harsh truth. People are afraid to tell the emperor that he has no clothes. Call me cynical (I am by nature) but don't call me a hater. I love the sport and want it to succeed but the patient is dying on the table and the docs and nurses are out to lunch.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to prevent the Titanic from hitting that iceberg of irrelevance? Brian and the networks sure don't!

Just for reference, Monster's other series, Supercross, had an estimated attendance at Indy of 60,000 this Saturday, or nearly 20k more people than were at Phoenix.

Just for reference, Monster's other series, Supercross, had an estimated attendance at Indy of 60,000 this Saturday, or nearly 20k more people than were at Phoenix.
$20 ticket options for Supercross, and it wasn't nearing 100 degrees

Imagine if Disney World lost 40% of it's customers over the past decade and declared they were "right-sizing" and "enhancing the customer experience" by closing down rides and attractions, maybe even one of their 4 main theme parks. Most people would see right through their BS corporate spin and question their business model. Some NASCAR fans choose to neglect facts when being told the harsh truth. People are afraid to tell the emperor that he has no clothes. Call me cynical (I am by nature) but don't call me a hater. I love the sport and want it to succeed but the patient is dying on the table and the docs and nurses are out to lunch.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to prevent the Titanic from hitting that iceberg of irrelevance? Brian and the networks sure don't!

Well said. If Nascar was going to bottom out at 40+ percent it would be bad enough but they are still bleeding customers like a hemophiliac and the reality is there is not a lot of hope for the future or if there is I have not heard it. There is no excuse for losing that many customers and in a normal situation heads would have rolled long before this point.

You said a mouthful there about in a normal situation heads would have rolled long ago...... A very good point that this isn't a normal business situation.... it's a family run situation and the egos are tremendous and no one in the family wants to rock the boat........ Even though the boat is taking on water at an astounding rate..... the Captain is dead set on full steam ahead........ all's good.......

You said a mouthful there about in a normal situation heads would have rolled long ago...... A very good point that this isn't a normal business situation.... it's a family run situation and the egos are tremendous and no one in the family wants to rock the boat........ Even though the boat is taking on water at an astounding rate..... the Captain is dead set on full steam ahead........ all's good.......
"Everything is great!"

everything-is-great-logo-tshirt-e1490038727277.jpg

The capacity at most of the tracks are now more inline with what they were in the early 1990's when the sport was healthy. When I first attended Dover in 1990 it had something like 60k, by 1995 it had 120k. A few years later it topped out at 140k. As far back as the late 90's I knew there was no way in hell the track would be able to sell out that many seats from then until the end of time. I honestly don't think it sold out those 140k seats for more than a 6-7 stretch. By 2005-2006 pockets of empty seats were starting to pop up despite what the track might claim.

What's troubling to me is the fact that most of these tracks aren't coming close to filling their current capacities. I went to the August Michigan race last year and it wasn't close to being full. It was perhaps 70-75% full? Pocono hasn't eliminated seats but just made the current ones wider. Even so their attendance numbers have taken a pretty decent hit. The infield still does well which keeps their numbers in the top half of the circuit.

I suspect that the fall Las Vegas date will match up with a big convention week like SEMA aftermarket auto show which is one of the biggest events Vegas has annually.

I don't think Nascar will ever admit that a lot of drop in attendence is because of "The Chase!" When you hyper emphasize the last 10 races, you deemphasize the first 26.

Another problem they can't do too much about is in the last couple of years they have lost their biggest draws:
Jeff Gordon - retired
Tony Stewart - out due to injury now retired
Carl Edwards - suddenly retired
Dale Jr - out due to injury now back for how long?
Jimmie Johnson - now with his 7th championship probably starting to think about retirement.
Yes soon Larson, Elliott, etc will have taken their place but how many butts are they putting in seats now?[/QUOTE How much better is the attendance during the 10 chase races, is it really that much better?

I don't think track revenue is as important as it once was due to the idiotic money FS1 and NBCS are paying to cover the series. Once that money runs out and Nascar is trying to sell its rights to the Oprah Winfrey and Bo Diddly networks track revenue will really matter.

You can relax. While ratings are down, they're still actually pretty good for Sunday afternoon TV

IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG
With tracks beginning to downsize it seems, I kind of wish Bristol still looked like this

The Rock was a bad ass track, watch some old races from there on YouTube every so often
One reason Rockingham is so revered... lots of caution flags, more than most any other track. A lot of crashing, a lot of restarts.

Back
Top Bottom