JGR and the 100% rule

29-4

Team Owner
NASCAR has a rule that all drivers must make a 100% effort in every race. It seems quite clear that 3/4 JGR cars didn't do this today, even at the end of the race. Shouldn't they be penalized? If nascar wants fall Talladega to not be a joke they shouldn't let this stand.

NASCAR has a rule that all drivers must make a 100% effort in every race. It seems quite clear that 3/4 JGR cars didn't do this today, even at the end of the race. Shouldn't they be penalized? If nascar wants fall Talladega to be exciting, they shouldn't let this stand.

They had a strategy to win, It just didn't work out.

They tried 100% to get the best finish possible to advance in the chase. They also can claim that there strategy was to avoid wrecks to get the best finish.

It didn't sound like a strategy to win from Kyle Busch's radio, it sounded like a gamble to get a top 20.

It can be argued that they were counting on a large wreck (which is totally normal at this track) and it just didn't work out. The radio communications were just a ruse to throw off the competition.

Nascar has already stated the fact that plate races are a bit different concerning the 100% rule. Avoiding wrecks is valid. However had I made the trip to Talladega as a 18, 19, 20 fan I would be horribly disappointed.

I don't care for the Chase Grid, but people are really grasping at straws. Sucks for the 18, 19, 20 fans in attendance that are there to see them win though.

Nascar has already stated the fact that plate races are a bit different concerning the 100% rule. Avoiding wrecks is valid. However had I made the trip to Talladega as a 18, 19, 20 fan I would be horribly disappointed.

It's one thing to ride around in the first half or three fourths of the race, ive never seen a team not at least appear to make an effort at the end however.

It's one thing to ride around in the first half or three fourths of the race, ive never seen a team not at least appear to make an effort at the end however.
Their plan was definitely aggressive. I just don't know how nascar could control that kind of thing in any clear way. Its ironic their was no pile up.

Musta been a boring ass day for those Gibbs guys. That's punishment enough.

Perhaps the fact that those three weren't involved in the main pack is why we didn't witness a big one today ;)

Musta been a boring ass day for those Gibbs guys. That's punishment enough.

Perhaps the fact that those three weren't involved in the main pack is why we didn't witness a big one today ;)
Actually its because the HMS cars that can't go in a straight line happened to miss the nearby traffic. Again. :)

If I was king of the sport, those three and joe Gibbs would be getting an earful and put on notice if anything like that happens again, they can find an Indy team to drive for. This definitely falls under the detriment blah blah rule and 100% rule. It is crap like that, and the mark martin strategy, that has resulted in fewer ticket sales and asses in the seats.

Being a junior fan, I've seen him pull this bs a couple times, and you just walk away feeling lousy, and pissed you wasted time and money on a horrible exhibition.

It is the nature of plate racing. You can try to run up front to stay away from 3 wide problems or try and play it safe and avoid 3 wide problems. You have to give them credit for playing their hand correctly employing both strategies.

it's the garbage playoff system that is causing this stuff.

when your playoff system is designed so that it's better to intentionally lose in order to advance, there's something wrong.
Auto racing doesn't require a playoff system.
Brian France has his head up his ass and is unable to see this.

If I was king of the sport, those three and joe Gibbs would be getting an earful and put on notice if anything like that happens again, they can find an Indy team to drive for. This definitely falls under the detriment blah blah rule and 100% rule. It is crap like that, and the mark martin strategy, that has resulted in fewer ticket sales and asses in the seats.

Being a junior fan, I've seen him pull this bs a couple times, and you just walk away feeling lousy, and pissed you wasted time and money on a horrible exhibition.
Actually , I thought it was more of a Jimmie Johnson thing . Junior kinda liked jumping around at the front of the pack.

NASCAR has a rule that all drivers must make a 100% effort in every race. It seems quite clear that 3/4 JGR cars didn't do this today, even at the end of the race. Shouldn't they be penalized? If nascar wants fall Talladega to not be a joke they shouldn't let this stand.
The answer is 'No'.

Flashback to this topic.....

October 2013.....
Should competitors fear incurring a penalty for violating the 100 Percent Rule if they deliberately drop to the rear at some point during Sunday's 188-lap affair?

"That question had come up at Chicago (Chicagoland Speedway) when we did our original meeting with the teams, and Mike (Helton, NASCAR President) answered it quite well," said NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton in an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com. "That's just part of the strategy -- teammates drafting with each other, teammates going to the back at certain times of the race. At Talladega that is one of the key strategies there."

The full article on this topic can be read here.

I think what was kinda weird about this, given the 11 is on their team correct, was how they kind of hung him out to dry. I get that the 48 was locked in already but he was up there trying to help the 3 get in. The 3 other teammates did nothing to help the 11. I wonder how Denny feels about this "team effort"?

If I was king of the sport, ...
If I were king of the sport, there wouldn't be Chase rounds to encourage this strategy, OR restrictor plate races to make it successful. We'd also need air traffic controllers to direct all the monkeys flying out my butt.

Actually , I thought it was more of a Jimmie Johnson thing . Junior kinda liked jumping around at the front of the pack.
Junior said repeatedly during the broadcast that he doesn't like the 'ride in the back' strategy, that he wants to be in the front four as much as possible. Jeff Burton didn't like it either.

I agree that JJ has done this multiple times. He doesn't risk the car during practice, runs by himself, and often skips the second round, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Cars riding in the back has been going on before the chase. And I don't know how they can enforce a 100% rule as long as they meet the minimum speed requirement. I agree with Junior that running up front is the best strategy. But each track has several race strategies and teams do what they choose.

Cars riding in the back has been going on before the chase. And I don't know how they can enforce a 100% rule as long as they meet the minimum speed requirement. I agree with Junior that running up front is the best strategy. But each track has several race strategies and teams do what they choose.
I don't really remember that strategy in the years preceding the Chase. Then again I am getting old or that could come from the fact that I've always rooted for a driver/team that drove 'ball$ out' so I never paid attention to that. Then came Dale Jr a short time ago. The day that he did that I was royally PO'd as a fan of his. I was happy that after that race he came out and said that was the wrong thing to do. I respect him for that. I agree with that completely. I imagine if I were a fan of any of those teams running at the back of the field yesterday, I'd feel much the same as when I had to endure that. I always look for my driver to do the best he can week in and week out.

I can not imagine if I were a fan of one of those teams and I paid money to travel to and attend that race. I'd probably be burning the shirt before I ever made it home.

It sucked, but I get it. I hated every second of it. Pretty sure that moving this race will change stuff next year, but that doesn't change this debacle. As for the team dynamics involving letting the 11 fend for himself? JGR is closer than ever, BUT there have been cracks in the solidarity. As this thing moves on, they will become bigger naturally. Wonder how open the 11's book will be at Martinsville.

The team strategy at HMS was set by JG and JJ and Junior was talked into trying it. In those days you could team up and drive to the front. After the second try at that style Junior said no more, you guys run your race and I will drive mine. Today you can't drive to the front so JGR was counting on accidents to get them enough points to stay in the championship hunt and it worked.
One more comment, Hamlin is not liked by his team mates or the shop people. He keeps his ride because of the sponsor and J Gibbs. It won't be long before Carl turns on his team mates:rolleyes: as is his custom if he smells a win.

As for the team dynamics involving letting the 11 fend for himself?
The 11 did what he had to do and he barely made it. I figure the back markers were just trying to preserve their point standings. I've noticed that there has been a growing number of cars that like to run in the back until the big one happens, then they usually run up through the field but that didn't happen yesterday, they knew how the points situation was going to work out.

Preserving points in late season racing was the norm before the chase.

Until I hear otherwise from a higher authority, I’ll hold with all four JGR drivers knowing how the game was gonna be played long before the American Ethanol Green Flag dropped.
Yep, it sure was. Hamlin talked about it in the pre-race that nobody likes. I don't recall the exact quotes by him but he indicated that he'll be looking for some new friends this race as the teammate thing wasn't going to be working out.

You can lump the #14 in there too.

Untitled.jpg

I don't really remember that strategy in the years preceding the Chase. ... I can not imagine if I were a fan of one of those teams and I paid money to travel to and attend that race. I'd probably be burning the shirt before I ever made it home.
Heck, I think Dale Jarrett was the first one I remember doing it, and that was way before the Chase.

As to T-shirts, gotta make room for a '2017 Champion' one somehow.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom