JGR's impact wrenches...new secret weapon?

3wideinturn1

Team Owner
As I'm sure most of you saw, the JGR pit crews were getting it done last night at Atlanta in particular the 11 team. The announcers were commenting on how much time they made and even the sound of the impact guns were quite different. They also played an audio clip of Rodney Childers telling Harvick of the problem on pit road.

So what did JGR come up with? A new faster impact wrench? If they can make up just 1 second on pit road on every single stop, that would give them a massive advantage going into the Chase.

The pit stops for the 11 and 20 were strangely fast last night. Good catch. I didn't pick up on this.

YES the gibbs teams have special air guns. they sound different too. Apparently gibbs spent 1 million in R&D on it. It was enough to negate a number 1 pit stall advantage. I bet the trick air guns are worth an extra 2 spots at least on pit road. denny had sub 12 second pit stops everytime. It was the first time someone brought out an innovation on pit road that almost won the race for them that I have seen. now every team is going to want them.

I think Gibbs needs them, no way they would have finished in the top ten without them. They should have Ingersol rand build their engines next.:biggrin:

I will say they sounded pretty sweet. I bet next week Hendrick's teams will have roller skates on to get around the car quicker.

Whatever slight advantage Gibbs had at Atlanta will be short lived anyhow, they should probably concentrate on fast cars

I don't know why they didn't wait until the Chase to use them.
Now everybody knows they have to upgrade and the ones with the $ will close the gap or minimize the advantage.

JGR pit-crew chief says no magic, nothing new to air guns at Atlanta

Mike Lepp and the rest of Joe Gibbs Racing are finding all the talk about their mysterious new air guns as “very humorous” over the last couple of days.

And he says it’s not even true.

Link to story

upload_2014-9-2_14-34-57.jpeg

Anybody that listened to their impacts Sunday night knows that Lepp is full of crap. I just listened to them on the replay and they were much much faster than the others.
They were probably running higher air pressures. The teams are allowed to use whatever air pressure they want in their air guns. Higher air pressure is faster but harder to control. Maybe they were using some new special air guns or maybe they were using the same air guns they've been using all year but with higher air pressures. It's hard to tell.

They were probably running higher air pressures. The teams are allowed to use whatever air pressure they want in their air guns. Higher air pressure is faster but harder to control. Maybe they were using some new special air guns or maybe they were using the same air guns they've been using all year but with higher air pressures. It's hard to tell.
I posted this in the race thread where we were talking about the impacts. It's a good read.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...hunder-gun-nascars-new-secret-weapon-12403645

UPDATE: As the JGR team of Denny Hamlin consistently beat the Stewart-Haas Racing team of Kevin Harvick off pit road Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Harvick crew chief Rodney Childers told Harvick that JGR had some new air guns they were using. Mike Lepp, the JGR athletic director who oversees the pit crews, swears that these are the guns that they have been using all year to loosen and tighten lugnuts during a pit stop. He said the team typically has some pit stops under 12 seconds and others over 12 seconds but Sunday whipped off all pit stops under 12 seconds. With JGR not having been in contention to win as many races this year, it just became noticeable Sunday with Hamlin and Harvick battling for the lead. Lepp said he believes it was just Childers trying to calm down his driver. "There wasn't anything new or anything," Lepp said in a phone interview Tuesday with the Sporting News. "It was an attempt to calm his driver down. ... (Like the cars), it's the same thing with these guys, you still have to have good athletes. But there's nothing that we brought to Atlanta that we haven't been bringing. The difference is we were running up front. When you go from 12th to ninth, you're not going to be feature (on TV)." Childers said Monday in an email that he wasn't trying to knock the JGR pit crew ability and talked to Lepp to make sure there were no hard feelings. Childers did say he believes the JGR air guns are better than the current ones SHR uses. But what about the sound of the guns? The guns might sound different depending on the tire changer, Lepp said. Each of the major teams make their own guns, which must be air-powered, and each tire changer is responsible for determining how fast they go. The only rule on air guns dictates that they must be NASCAR approved, air-powered and can only do one lugnut at a time. A NASCAR spokesman said Tuesday that it has "no issue whatsoever" with the air guns that JGR is using.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140903e

Anybody that listened to their impacts Sunday night knows that Lepp is full of crap. I just listened to them on the replay and they were much much faster than the others.
The gibbs crews, particularly the 11 guys, have pulled sub 12 races in the past. However much I like it this is not breaking news. Like standonit's quote indicates, with the 11 running up front the crew really shined. You can have the best equipment but more importantly you need guys who can complement such equipment.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

hEC9A9BCE

This pic made me think of "Harvick and delana try out the new air guns from JGR "

The teams have been redesigning some of their tools for a long time now. NASCAR has put limits on the cars so it is natural for teams to find other advantages. I think it was the Wood brothers that came up with the modern gas can and everyone quickly copied it when they discovered how fast a pit stop could be with that invention. I'm pretty sure within a couple weeks many of the teams will have their versions of the Gibbs gun.

Lepp says you need to adjust your surround system.

Hard to keep a secret that puts out 85db

trick air guns could take a few weeks to find out, it took everyone 4 weeks to figure out Gant's trick rear end back in the day.

Read the link I posted above. Jim Hurd knows.

A lot of words without saying anything.

A lotta coulda woulda shoulda nonsense. No real facts. In My Opinion.

The guns could be faster, or about the same just different gearing who knows. Just because they sound different doesn't make it so. This air starter doesn't spin a motor any faster than an electric.

Bunch of more what the's, if the gun was faster why didn't they use it on their fastest car instead of the slowest?, or maybe they weren't that sure of it yet, so use it on the slow car to try it out.?

It did sound like those guns were screaming. Like I said, lighter weight hammers, cages and other internal components would spin faster and require less air to turn than heavier components. And, I'll guarantee the air ports were ported using flow bench technology.

Anyone have audio or video of the pit stops? Missed the race so I didn't get to hear these new impact wrenches. Had no luck on YouTube or NASCAR.com looking for video.

Yeah thought that was worth posting for just the sound of the guns, they have a good video of them on there.

The guns could be faster, or about the same just different gearing who knows. Just because they sound different doesn't make it so. This air starter doesn't spin a motor any faster than an electric.

the 4 car had a different sound at the plate tracks, not much help.

Back
Top Bottom