Jimmy Johnson back to NASCAR as part owner of Petty GMS

Would love to see him try and run Indy 500 and coke 600 next year.
There have been rumors of Kyle Busch doing the double in 2023. I would love to see that, and Jimmie as well, but those rumors have died down unfortunately.

Why??? to watch NASCAR"S best ever driver make a fool out of himself ??

He did pretty damn good in his first attempt at the 500 last year and always did well at Charlotte even in his less than stellar 17-20 years so why would he make a fool of himself? If anybody is physically fit enough to run 1100 laps in a day it's Jimmie, if he had time between the two races he would probably go for a bike ride!

Spencer is already prepparing to take over in the future.

Also, it goes to show the impact of Justin Marks for Jimmie to go to him and talk about ownership at the Cup level. JJ has also mentioned he was a part of negotation process with the likes of Carvana. This is really good to see Jimmie and Jeff at the ownership level now.

I'm really pumped about this.

Jimmie was a great restrictor plate racer. I'm confident he'll do just fine ;)
Outside of his 5 points paying plate wins, and that 2002-2007 stretch, he really hasn't been a stellar plate racer..

He was quiet for a while, and then swept Daytona out of ****** nowhere in 2013 after averaging like a 30th place finish there for years, which was the most Jimmie Johnson thing he could do.

Then he sucked at plate races again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Outside of his 5 points paying plate wins, and that 2002-2007 stretch, he really hasn't been a stellar plate racer..

He was quiet for a while, and then swept Daytona out of ****** nowhere in 2013 after averaging like a 30th place finish there for years, which was the most Jimmie Johnson thing he could do.

Yeah, I felt like Jimmie was never the best plate racer, he won a few but he wrecked out of a lot more than he won. Luck is more important than skill at Daytona and Talladega.

Yeah, I felt like Jimmie was never the best plate racer, he won a few but he wrecked out of a lot more than he won. Luck is more important than skill at Daytona and Talladega.
I think he peaked during the Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr DEI phase/Tony Stewart dominating every plate race phase. He absolutely has had a long standing friendship with Jr, Tony, and having Gordon as a teammate and friend was a great resource to lean on.

I think, however, with the emergence of the tandem racing, and then the shift in power to Penske, JJ (and a declining Gordon) kind of got left behind in the super speedway mix.

Then in 2013, with the gen 6, Chad and Jimmie just brought so much raw speed to Daytona that year.

good post, I stand corrected. I was just going off of memory.

good post, I stand corrected. I was just going off of memory.
and my post to begin with was supposed to be humerous. 7 time having to qualify? They probably will move the rules to get him in the All Star race if he wants to race it. Oh well, not funny is not funny..maybe ironic will work better.

"I'm taking this very seriously. This is the opportunity of a lifetime".

I think that during his time with Indy, and honestly even from 2017-2020, that sort of hunger, desire to win, and just general fire that separated Jimmie from any other competitor in the garage sort of disappeared.

This is interesting. Because when you invest in a team, the goal isn't just to drive, you want to turn that organization into a championship winning team. I think this situation may bring some of that fire JJ had back... And if there's any past his prime driver who could bring that to an organization, it's Jimmie

Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr., Gordon, Stewart and Jarrett each have more than 5 restrictor plate wins.

That’s the list.

very excited to see Jimmie involved with the sport in an ownership role. I also think its great hes going to be running races again in Cup. Did they mention anything outside the Daytona 500 and how many? I would bet we see him at Martinsville, Wilkesboro, Texas, Charlotte and Dover.

Pretty incredible and neat. I'd say ownership wise, the sport is in a really really good place.

I think it’s time to see Hendrick Motorsports bring back the Jerry Nadeau 25. Would be great for the team & the sport to make a change.

Good luck to 7 time. Great for the sport etc.,etc.
But what I am really hoping for is that this will
light a fire under Jr. Motorsports to
go ahead and make that leap into Cup in the
near future. They ponder it every year. Come on,
lets start figuring out the charter thing and lets goooo!

Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr., Gordon, Stewart and Jarrett each have more than 5 restrictor plate wins.

That’s the list.
Keselowski I believe has 6. 5 at Talladega, 1 at Daytona. But still. I hear you.

Hamlin must have 6 by now?

For a while the discussion was…With Hendrick, Roush, Childers, Petty, and Penske all at advanced age…who would take the reins? And in two years we have 23XI, Trackhouse, Petty GMS, and RFK all with 2000’s era drivers in ownership positions. The baton is being passed.

P.S. And add Jeff Gordon/Hendrick to that list.

Keselowski I believe has 6. 5 at Talladega, 1 at Daytona. But still. I hear you.

Hamlin must have 6 by now?

I think Denny is one short of 6. I looked earlier when I thought he did, and turned out I was wrong. 3 Daytona 500, and if I recall one each of the Talladega races. Didn’t even think to check on Bad Brad haha.

uh no, he's correct.

Hendrick Motorsports - Owned by Rick/Linda Hendrick, and Jeff Gordon
JTG Daugherty - Owned by Gordon Smith, Brad Daugherty, Tad/Jodi Geschickter
Kaulig Racing - owned 100% by Matt Kaulig as far as I can tell
Petty GMS - owned by Richard Petty, Maury/Spencer Gallagher, and now Jimmie Johnson
RCR - owned 100% by Richard as far as I can tell
Spire - owned by Jeff Dickerson, TJ Puchy
Trackhouse - owned by Justin Marks, Armando Christian Perez (Pitbull)
Front Row Motorsports - owned by Bob and Brad Jenkins
Live Fast Motorsports - owned by BJ Mcleod, Matt Tift, and Joe Falk
RFK Racing - owned by Jack Roush, Brad Keselowski, and Fenway Group
Rick Ware Racing - owned 100% by Rick Ware as far as I can tell
SHR - owned by Gene Haas and Tony Stewart
Team Penske - owned 100% by Roger Penske
Wood Brothers - owned by Leonard and Eddie Wood
23XI Racing - owned by Michael Jordan, and Denny Hamlin
Joe Gibbs Racing - owned by Joe and Coy Gibbs

only 4 full time teams are owned 100% by 1 person. The rest have another owner, which would make them part owners.
Pesky facts , shuts 'em down every time!!!!!!

I honestly am surprised by this, I didn't forsee this much involvement after he finished racing full time. What does make sense is how he's strictly doing it on his terms - he gets to race when he wants to, and has enough of a stake to make the season exciting without an insane amount of tasks on his plate. It's low key fascinating to see him try and strike a post full-time NASCAR balance after he was so insanely locked in for his career. There is no doubt he has earned the right to do anything he wants post career, whether he wished to pull an Edwards, a Dale Jr, or anything in between. Racing is in his blood though, and NASCAR is a bit better off now than before he bought in.

Do we know how much of the team Jimmie owns? Has that been disclosed?

I honestly am surprised by this, I didn't forsee this much involvement after he finished racing full time. What does make sense is how he's strictly doing it on his terms - he gets to race when he wants to, and has enough of a stake to make the season exciting without an insane amount of tasks on his plate. It's low key fascinating to see him try and strike a post full-time NASCAR balance after he was so insanely locked in for his career. There is no doubt he has earned the right to do anything he wants post career, whether he wished to pull an Edwards, a Dale Jr, or anything in between. Racing is in his blood though, and NASCAR is a bit better off now than before he bought in.
Yeah this came out of left field about like Ross's rim riding. Johnson not only bought himself a seat, but put some skin ownership in the game. Good to see this kind of changing of the guard going on in Nascar.

I hope Erik Jones really breaks out.

Back
Top Bottom