JoePa

Andy, would you bet your life on that?

Falsely reporting someone's death -- without having VERY VERY VERY reliable information -- is a career killer. I've had to report on peoples' deaths before, and I had very rock solid confirmation every single time. CBS did not do that.

Regardless, this conversation is for a different thread.

in his grand jury testimony, Paterno said he "knew inappropriate action was taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster" in that incident, but told the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins last week that he "didn't know which way to go" with the information.

Might take some heat for this, which I don't care if I do. But the above comment makes me say, good riddance. However I do feel for his family and will say a prayer for them.

in his grand jury testimony, Paterno said he "knew inappropriate action was taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster" in that incident, but told the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins last week that he "didn't know which way to go" with the information.

let'see, the police would have been a good start. sorry to hear of anyone's ill health and imminent death but joepa won't be missed by me. his legacy will forever be tarnished.

The media, and ignorant fools who jump on stories, congrats you murdered a legand. I knew this would happen when a bunch of people went scape goat hunting. RIP Joepa classy people know you were innocent. But congrats to those of you cheering his death you bunch of cold hearted murdering bastards.

The media, and ignorant fools who jump on stories, congrats you murdered a legand. I knew this would happen when a bunch of people went scape goat hunting. RIP Joepa classy people know you were innocent. But congrats to those of you cheering his death you bunch of cold hearted murdering bastards.

It's your right to "believe" what you want, but that is all it is...

Whatever. His own words, my man.

Interesting if the scandal came out after his demise,would he be an American folk hero,with umpteen TV specials,only to be tarnished posthumously.
Or, would he still be a POS???

But congrats to those of you cheering his death you bunch of cold hearted murdering bastards.

Well thank you, but I didn't murder anyone. Also I didn't cheer, just said good riddance.

If you have a child who is close to you and a man rapes that child and another guy tells a jury he knew an "inappropriate action was taken against the child by that man but didn't know who to tell"(guess he didn't know cops would be a good place to start), you'll then understand the feelings some have for this man.

Well thank you, but I didn't murder anyone. Also I didn't cheer, just said good riddance.

If you have a child who is close to you and a man rapes that child and another guy tells a jury he knew an "inappropriate action was taken against the child by that man but didn't know who to tell"(guess he didn't know cops would be a good place to start), you'll then understand the feelings some have for this man.

^ This.

Interesting if the scandal came out after his demise,would he be an American folk hero,with umpteen TV specials,only to be tarnished posthumously.
Or, would he still be a POS???

If you look at Facebook today, he is a hero who was murdered by the media. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter, just like Chris Brown. Brown beats the crap out of a woman and is still idolized.

Really, the only thing these people are guilty of......... felonies.

I don't know if we should just laugh or feel sorry for you...

So what, should everyone have just ignored it? Pretend he didn't do anything wrong?

I didn't really start this thread as a bashing against Paterno...He was a hell of a coach in his prime and he'll be missed in the football world.

That being said, that's all I'll say.

You know, before kkfan accused people like me of murder, I was going to say nothing more but "rest in peace". But, since kkfan turned a thread about someone's death in to a bomb throwing contest, I'm gonna let it rip:

I think it's disgusting someone who covered all this up is idolized because he was a great football coach. It's almost as disgusting as Chris Brown being worshipped and idolized, welcomed back in to society like he did nothing wrong, after putting his girlfriend in the hospital.

I complain about celebrities and athletes getting held to a different standard, legally and socially, than the rest of us. But, really, the American people are the problem because we (myself not included in that) welcome people like Chris Brown and Michael Vick back in to society and, when something happens to them, we blame the judicial system and the media.

We're the ones who accept this double standard. When people like Lindsay Lohan get a slap on the wrist for their crimes, we have nobody but ourselves to blame for that. A lot of my friends from Pennsylvania even think that Jerry Sandusky was a scapegoat of the media. But if this scandal rocked Towson, people like kkfan would have pitchforks and torches out demanding everyone be hung and the place be burned to the ground.

You know, before kkfan accused people like me of murder, I was going to say nothing more but "rest in peace". But, since kkfan turned a thread about someone's death in to a bomb throwing contest, I'm gonna let it rip:

I think it's disgusting someone who covered all this up is idolized because he was a great football coach. It's almost as disgusting as Chris Brown being worshipped and idolized, welcomed back in to society like he did nothing wrong, after putting his girlfriend in the hospital.

I complain about celebrities and athletes getting held to a different standard, legally and socially, than the rest of us. But, really, the American people are the problem because we (myself not included in that) welcome people like Chris Brown and Michael Vick back in to society and, when something happens to them, we blame the judicial system and the media.

We're the ones who accept this double standard. When people like Lindsay Lohan get a slap on the wrist for their crimes, we have nobody but ourselves to blame for that. A lot of my friends from Pennsylvania even think that Jerry Sandusky was a scapegoat of the media. But if this scandal rocked Towson, people like kkfan would have pitchforks and torches out demanding everyone be hung and the place be burned to the ground.

I agree what you said, but Vick served some serious time and fines and has been a productive member of society since he has been out.

I agree what you said, but Vick served some serious time and fines and has been a productive member of society since he has been out.

Yeah, he did his time and hasn't gotten in trouble since. Unless I missed something....

TOTALLY different standard though.

If any of us regular folks were convicted of a FELONY and spent time in prison, we'd be lucky to get a job working at Wal-Mart. Yet, because Vick can throw a football, he walks right back in to society making millions of dollars. So, I'm sorry, but it's still different and Vick is still being held to a different standard in all levels of society, as MOST NFL players are. Yet NFL players think he was treated unfairly.

JoePa was a great coach that can not be denied but what he did as a person far out weighs his accomplishments. These are peoples lives that are ruined and he took part in that, you can say he was a wonderful coach and I will agree with you but as a human being I do not think there really should be any big rememberance or celebration for a man who allowed such behavoir to take place without doing anything about it.

Joe Paterno does not deserve the caustic comments made about him on this forum. I hope those who take this man to task for a perceived omission in reporting the incident involving Sandusky understand the entire story because Paterno is not the person those critical of his alleged failure portray him.

Once things quieted down, explanations were presented and revelations made concerning Paterno and his role.

He didn't have knowledge of what specifically took place and when it was explained to him, Paterno did not grasp the concept of a man being raped.
People with a greater degree of the world we live in today might find that difficult to understand. But Joe Paterno was raised in a closed environment family and things relating to sex were never discussed. As a youth, Paterno was uninformed of things of a sexual nature. People coming from a strict, closed family, ethnic background would understand. It is doubtful a person as devoted to his profession as Joe Paterno ever discussed male rape and neither did he understood what it was about.
After reading in greater depth about the circumstances and getting more of the story of this incident, it is my belief Paterno was justly released by PSU if for no other reason than an attempt to preserve whatever integrity the institution had left. And just as strongly, I believe he is unjustly judged by those failing to review the entire situation from start to finish. Maybe Paterno failed in understanding what had actually taken place but his explanation is very plausible and anyone coming from a similar background would understand how it could be possible.

Coach Paterno was a man of honor and integrity. He brought respect, family and honor to PSU. He established a standard of education first, followed by integrity and sportsmanship. One thing Joe Paterno was not is the kind of man who would condone or cover up the situation had he fully understood it.

We don't know what he knew and when he knew it. But eventually the complete story will be told. Makes no difference if he did or didn't know now. There will always be a mark beside his name regardless of his great coaching ability.

Back
Top Bottom