Johali's Rate the Cup race --- 600

7 - Good hard racing each other, mostly racing the track, but above average for the 600.

It isn't like the format screwed him. He screwed himself.
Except we are all pretending there isn’t a points reset after 26 races. That’s the only reason anyone was allowed to surpass him in points. Teams do have to perform “when it matters” but “when it matters” is totally wacky.

Except we are all pretending there isn’t a points reset after 26 races. That’s the only reason anyone was allowed to surpass him in points. Teams do have to perform “when it matters” but “when it matters” is totally wacky.
Agreed. The “when it matters” is a complete fabrication. I enjoyed yesterday’s race somewhat, I’ll give it a 6. Hendrick(s) has the 1.5 milers figured out.

Agreed. The “when it matters” is a complete fabrication. I enjoyed yesterday’s race somewhat, I’ll give it a 6. Hendrick(s) has the 1.5 milers figured out.
Absolutely. The crazy thing to me is that, theoretically, a driver could win 35 races in a row and lead every single lap of the season except for the final one, and still finish 4th in the standings.

Don't forget that the Regular Season Champion gets 15 Playoff points after 26 races though.

Absolutely. The crazy thing to me is that, theoretically, a driver could win 35 races in a row and lead every single lap of the season except for the final one, and still finish 4th in the standings.
As much as many hate the stick and ball references....again, I reference the Seattle Mariners with their 116 win season. Should they have been crowned World Season Champion after the regular season.

As much as many hate the stick and ball references....again, I reference the Seattle Mariners with their 116 win season. Should they have been crowned World Season Champion after the regular season?
Stick and ball references don’t make sense because the Seattle Mariners aren’t playing against the other 29 teams in the league at the same time week after week.

Stick and ball references don’t make sense because the Seattle Mariners aren’t playing against the other 29 teams in the league at the same time week after week.
Yeah, I know....and honestly, I don't care what the format is. I really don't. I like racing, and I don't get caught up in bitching about packages and formats. Everybody knows what they need to do. One guy does it. Champion. I am good.

One of the Best 600's I have ever seen. FYI, I have been in the stands to 15 of them. This is one time the stages made it interesting, they had to race each segment, (I still think the cautions at the end of stages suck). A lot of passing and side by side for a 600.
The TV camera crews did a great job, as good as I have ever seen, in covering key things happening during the race.

Damn, I woke up and started reading this thread and I thought I had slept a lot longer then I had planned. It is usually around playoff time before we start debating this topic. :D

One of the Best 600's I have ever seen. FYI, I have been in the stands to 15 of them. This is one time the stages made it interesting, they had to race each segment, (I still think the cautions at the end of stages suck). A lot of passing and side by side for a 600.
The TV camera crews did a great job, as good as I have ever seen, in covering key things happening during the race.

I meant to add, wasn't it great to see race fans in the stands and the great tribute to our Military service personnel and NO MASKS! From what I saw in the TV clips there was a hell of a military prerace show, like they used to have. I saw a lot of them when I used to go to this race and they were spectacular.

I meant to add, wasn't it great to see race fans in the stands and the great tribute to our Military service personnel and NO MASKS! From what I saw in the TV clips there was a hell of a military prerace show, like they used to have. I saw a lot of them when I used to go to this race and they were spectacular.
Great to see the pandemic conditions allow for fans in the stands and no masks. Of course, paying respect to those who have died fighting for our country is always special, and should never be taken for granted.

The Coke 600 has never been one of my favorite races and one driver ran away with it like usual, but there was enough good racing from 2nd on back to keep this one interesting.

Yeah, I know....and honestly, I don't care what the format is. I really don't. I like racing, and I don't get caught up in bitching about packages and formats. Everybody knows what they need to do. One guy does it. Champion. I am good.

Problem is, the playoff format has greatly altered the racing from what it should be.

Back
Top Bottom