Johali's Rate the Cup race --- COTA

3/10. The racing wasn't all that bad, but the decision to call the race with three hours of daylight left at a road course with rain tires is just poor race management. Granted Chase kind of deserved the win after NASCAR stole one from him at the Daytona RC. The whining from the usual suspects didn't really help either.

8 - I'm glad NASCAR is experimenting with new things. Worst case scenerio, it doesn't work. Although I have to admit that Truex crash was pretty scary. NASCAR & rain tires don't go well together imo.

2 trying to race on this track in that weather was just a joke. And I'm even somewhat of a Chase fan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 If they go back to COTA, they may have to adjust the race length. The 54 laps they did today would be nearly perfect.

6, when the drivers could see, it was decent .

I hope next year with the new car the race is dry so we can get a better idea for this track, but overall, I didnt think this was great weekend of racing, but it needs an * because of weather.

This one is hard. When conditions were fine, it was very entertaining. When conditions went to crap and NASCAR started pulling answers out their ass, it was embarrassing. I don’t think COTA got a fair first impression. Although, it was much better than a race at TMS or an ASR at Charlotte.

I’ll go 7.

This one is hard. When conditions were fine, it was very entertaining. When conditions went to crap and NASCAR started pulling answers out their ass, it was embarrassing. I don’t think COTA got a fair first impression. Although, it was much better than a race at TMS or an ASR at Charlotte.

I’ll go 7.
Well said. I will go 9 with the same narrative except the TMS or Charlotte piece.

wet8.jpg

5. Really was a **** show all in all. If it would have been dry, I think it would have been a snoozer where Chase or KyBu won by 10 seconds.

I was a champion of running COTA, but it just doesn’t lend itself to stock cars.

The competition was great but I'll rate it only at 8 because of multiple cluster-foxtrots.

6. Make this a 56 lap race like F1. I think our road course races are a bit too long

9 I think they need to shorten the race though. Maybe about 14 laps less.

Some of best racing in a long time at points, but overshadowed by some VERY dangerous conditions at times, or it would be worth a higher score.

8, but really close to a 9. The rain added so many elements to the challenge...really required drivers to race each other and the track and the elements. Congrats to Ross Chastain who showed how well he can drive a race car in such difficult situations.

NASCAR needs work on rain race procedures....that's certain. Martin almost went over on his roof and if he did and was hit again by another driver unable to see he'd be dead. Custer miraculously hit one of the few openings on the backstretch that were padded- you could see in the camera shot a few hundred yards further down the track there's another wall opening with a terrible angle and nothing but unprotected ARMCO barrier.

Better windshield wipers, single file restarts in the wet, and better/brighter taillights all easy needed improvements for the next wet race.

Guys from the teens to the back couldn’t see through the air on the other side of their windshields.

There’s no fix for that.

Reactions: sdj
I wasn't looking forward to this race, and I was right. 4

Back
Top Bottom