Johali's Rate the Cup race --- COTA

Better windshield wipers, single file restarts in the wet, and better/brighter taillights all easy needed improvements for the next wet race.
I can't believe how crappy the wipers were on some of the cars and trucks this weekend. We've had electric wipers on cars for what, around 100 years? I think we can do a little better. And get some of those obnoxious LED lights like the EMS trucks use now for their brake lights. Stevie Wonder could see those.

This is a REALLY tough race to accurately rate. On one hand, the racing itself was a solid 9 at times and the rain added an extra element of driver skill, race strategy, and excitement. On the other hand, NASCAR's boneheaded moves put a damper on the potential of this race. Having it called early was also a head-scratcher.

I'll go with 7 even though this could have easily been a 9

I thought it was way better than the trucks and xfinity races. Entertaining from start to finish.

I liked it for the most part. I like that NASCAR is using a new track. They just need to get more experience with COTA and do a better job of figuring out how to race (and when to pause racing) in the rain there (and other road courses). Hopefully good lessons were learned there today.

I’ll go with an 8 despite all the bs I think this will be a badass race track under dry conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with a couple of others who found it difficult to rate this one.

Regarding the track, I was pleasantly surprised all series were able to run two-wide and pass through the esses, and even run three-wide through turns 1 and 11. But it's too long, and from turns 12 to 17 or so, too 'technical' (slow). Put a chute in between 12 and 15, bypassing that hairpin and much of the first gear stretch. Do that before you start cutting laps. If the Powers That Be insist on running the full course, I don't care if we never see the place again. And I applaud the genius who suggested an alternate start line on the back (maybe out of 11?); do that at Road America too.

Racing? I always love the different strategic choices that road courses bring, and this one had plenty. Kurt Busch pulled off the best off-course save we've seen in a few years. And how about Austin Cindric running off with the early lead on SLICKS?? But NASCAR definitely needs to determine where the line is between the rain and great racing we had Saturday with the Trucks, and the FUBAR on Sunday with Cup. Start with rain gauges or something but come up with a defined policy. It will need tweaking but it will give fans and teams a reference point for their expectations.

6.5 That's the same thing I gave the X race. This one had better racing when they were able to actually race, but less time overall when that was possible.

Last edited:
8. Would have been a 10 but I deducted 2 points for the spastic wipers on some of the cars.

I was looking forward to this race, but, it rates right up there with the Daytona road course, not very good. Not enough passing zones, too much single file. I think too many hairpin turns at COTA are not good for Cup cars. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom