Johali's Rate the Cup Race --- Pocono, Rd. 1

Race was decided 40 laps from the finish. Little to no racing at this track.

7.5. PIt strategies saved it. The first stage was too short to develop, esp. with the comp. caution in the middle.

6. Pit strategies and a close finish saved it from a 3.

4.5 the pit strategies were the same as every other year - pit backwards. The short first stage was a waste, but I understand why they didn't make them equal length, as that would have been same as the pit window. IMO would have been better having the first two stages longer, setting up for a guaranteed 25 lap dash to the finish.

8 Hamlin closing in on Harvick added a little excitement. Strategies were fun.

It’s Pocono, which starts at a default score of 2 or 3. I added a couple bonus points for NASCAR not throwing a caution with the two flat tire debris situations and letting the race play out organically.

7 for Pocono. I was certain this race wasn't going to even happen. 5 just for that. Also first Pocono race I missed in eight years so -1 for the Rona.

The strategery worked. He spent most of the day in the 20’s ... popped to the top 10 at the end.

7....The strategy thing with this track ruins the flow of the race. I like it when the best car wins, but you couldn't tell which car that was. Lots of Toyotas in the top 10, but not sure how much speed was there....What I will say is this.....IF (and that is a big IF) Harvick was in a low drag set up as the Fords tend to be, he wheeled one hell of a race. To negotiate traffic as he did and manage the lead in the end was impressive. Denny would close it down...you could see that Harv was wheeling it, but could get him...That win was about driving ability--the 4 was not the best car IMO. Pretty interesting. Will be fascinating to see what happens today to the 4 starting in traffic.

MarkMartin6.jpg

It's hard to give Pocono a high rating when it follows the high level excitement of Talladega. That's a pretty tough act to follow.

Back
Top Bottom