Johali's Rate the Cup race --- Watkins Glen

No rating, crappy OT and drivers who just don’t give a d anymore. Congrats to Buescher and two drivers that can race clean.

5 at best. Despite all the talk, tire falloff was not enough to make any real difference, and unless you had SVG type of speed, you really weren't passing anybody. The guys who needed stage points were put at a HUGE disadvantage versus the guys like SVG, Chastain and Buescher that could just go for it, reflected in the fact that only TWO playoff drivers finished in the top 10, versus 8 in the second ten. Yes, some of that was self inflicted, but if the good cars had a chance to break away from the squirrels, that top ten number would be MUCH higher. I am beginning to think that unless it is track induced like Darlington or the old North Wilkesboro surface, Goodyear has no clue how to make a tire that just gets slow but not fail.

5 at best. Despite all the talk, tire falloff was not enough to make any real difference, and unless you had SVG type of speed, you really weren't passing anybody. The guys who needed stage points were put at a HUGE disadvantage versus the guys like SVG, Chastain and Buescher that could just go for it, reflected in the fact that only TWO playoff drivers finished in the top 10, versus 8 in the second ten. Yes, some of that was self inflicted, but if the good cars had a chance to break away from the squirrels, that top ten number would be MUCH higher. I am beginning to think that unless it is track induced like Darlington or the old North Wilkesboro surface, Goodyear has no clue how to make a tire that just gets slow but not fail.
Well said. Completely agree

10 - Melon man on the pole, raced top 5 all day, led a ton of laps.

PS: Screw NBC, no interview for Ross after the race but, Joe Giggs side mouth talking silver spoon got interviewed.
When you're not a playoff driver, unless you win the race, you basically don't exist as far as TV is concerned

A very uninspiring race for the Glen plus another overtime. I knew what was coming so I switched to football and found out later the 17 won.

8.0 That's a low score from me for a road course. Drivers running all over each other being the reason. More like a demolition derby at the annual county fair. Did the best car win? Yes! And Buescher beat one of the best with help from one of the best who beat himself.

SVG wasn't a playoff driver.
It is my understanding after a race the top 10 drivers have to be available for post race interviews, is this incorrect?

Simple answer is NBC SUCKS a big one.
SVG is a special case. They would have interviewed him if he finished 31st. Yes, the drivers have to be available, but there is no rule that they have to actually interview them, or use the footage they shoot. This has been the same story for as long as I have been watching racing and regardless of the network. Contrary to popular belief, I have seen days where Chase gets a top five and the interview (if there was one) doesn't make the broadcast. NASCAR and the networks are MUCH more interested in giving us a long winded mostly pointless pre-race show instead of a complete comprehensive post-race show.

It is my understanding after a race the top 10 drivers have to be available for post race interviews, is this incorrect?

Most of the time fox would just interview the winner and then the broadcast was over so at least NBC interviewed more than just the winner.

I believe it was the top 5. This was instituted in the Kyle Busch era when he used to sprint for the hauler and decline interviews. It looks like it has been relaxed and they interview favorites, or stars of the race. They interviewed Truex in 20th and Gibbs 22nd, JPM 32nd. :idunno:

Back
Top Bottom