Jr fans unite-I don't usually write a

L

Lizzycat

columnist but this time I did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Things That Got My Attention So Far This Season (Part 1)

by Mike Calinoff, SCC Publisher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, October 02, 2002

This has been, by all accounts, quite an unusual year. The Silly Season was in full bloom by Rockingham and it literally hasn’t let up for a moment.

Here are some things that really got my attention.

The Jack Roush Accident: The racing community was stunned to learn of Jack’s misfortune when we raced at Talladega in the spring. The initial reports looked dim for the “Cat in the Hat” and it was going to be hard to accept him not being around.

But it hasn’t turned out that way. Jack has sprung back in a form that appears to be “better than new”. And while he might be reluctant expand on it, he’s got a new attitude that precedes his presence in the garage.

Tony Stewart Assaults: Tony is an admitted competition junkie. He loves to race, he loves to win. He hates to lose. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you can control your emotions – and Tony has had difficulty in that area.

Tony is a good guy. He’s got a great sense of humor and a genuine love for the sport. He’s a regular guy who wants to enjoy his passion for racing with little or no fanfare. Stewart understands the position of the media and the hoopla that NASCAR has created for the fans – but it doesn’t mean he has to like it.

Tony will be Tony for as long as he continues to participate in the sport. And while you might see some subtle changes in his demeanor, you won’t see his drive for the win leave any time soon.

Jimmie Johnson: I’ll be surprised if Johnson does not win the title this season. While everything is close and Talladega will lend a new spin to the points chase, Johnson and crew are really on their game. And wouldn’t it be a great story for NASCAR if the California Boy, who looks good, speaks well and drives the wheels of a racecar could stand up in New York?

Ricky Rudd’s Deal: I’ve always like Rudd. He’s a strong competitor and a great representative for a sponsor. But the dilly-dally that went on with respect to his driving decision caused me to lose some respect there. I understand that drivers need to earn like any other professional sports figure, but I was surprised to hear the numbers – and pleased that Robert Yates said enough was enough.

Sterling Marlin: Sterling’s surge has come to a screeching halt these days. In addition to his misfortunes he’s dealing with a Dodge program that has been put behind the eight ball as far as the rules are concerned. While some think that we haven’t heard the last from the Ganassi camp, I think that we have.

McMurray?: I didn’t see this one coming at all. Jamie McMurray has had marginal success on the NASCAR Busch Series, yet Chip Ganassi and company have tabbed him for the third seat. If you ask me, it’s going to be a Jason Leffler thing all over again – and McMurray won’t even know what hit him.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. When Junior came forward and announced that he had been racing with a head injury, it prompted NASCAR to react immediately. However, it’s Dale’s comments this past weekend that irk me.

He was quoted as saying that even with a concussion he could still beat 80% of his competitors. That means he should have won 23.2 races this year. Do the math.

Reach Mike at [email protected]

Irresponsible reporting at best and I wrote and told him that...nicely of course.

Jr. said he was kidding, just more manipullation by the media

The media loves playing with data, let Jr say what he wants, I found it funny when he said it, I was just waiting for the media to have a field day with it.

If the old man would have said it,nobody would have said a thing.People just know that Jr is an easy target.In fact I saw a bit of ol Dale Sr. in him when he said it,and I got a laugh out of it.And this is comming from a Martin fan.;)

If the writer was listening, Jr. said the he was only kidding. This is just another example of the media manipulating what is said. Now that Tony is no longer a target, they have to find someone else. Bummer:(

I think that was the quote of the weekend. My Uncle who is a jeff Gordon fan thought it was funny, and he usually doesnt find things like that funny.

Back
Top Bottom