Junior Johnson has passed away at age 88.

the coolest character the sport ever had. he deserved to be in the first hall of fame class. so glad they did that and didn't wait till he was too old to enjoy it.

damn I just heard about it. R.I.P.
pray.gif

The Last American Hero...I just remember Junior and his race team and the HOF caliber drivers had drive for him

R.I.P to one of the all-time greats whose reputation, career, and legacy will never be replaced, forgotten, or repeated. What an incredible man with a tremendously fulfilled life! Rest easy, Junior Johnson!

Remembering Junior Johnson: The 1960 Daytona 500 in his own words
It was luck. I didn’t have a fast car, and was way off the guys running up at the front, like Jack Smith and Cotton Owens in high-powered Pontiacs, in my Chevrolet. My car didn’t have a race motor design – it was a 348 cubic inch engine that you’d put in a truck or somethin’!

But I had Ray Fox on my team, and he’s a great motor builder, so it lasted like it ’sposed to, but it just wasn’t up to speed. The key to winning that race was I was drafting all day long. I didn’t really know what I was doing – I didn’t know what ‘the draft’ was! I just knew that when I ran close behind somebody, I could keep up with them, even though my engine was much less powerful.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-c...he-1960-daytona-500-in-his-own-words/4615495/

RIP Junior. Thank you for your contribution to society. What a legend.

Still remember watching him duel w Gurney and Foyt at Riverside.

Those were the days when you couldn’t understand some of the southerners in the post-race interviews.

A bygone era, with real stock cars.

All the drivers and car owners I saw growing up and now, so few left. Junior was a legend and deserving of any and every accolade given him. Junior had a good career and is well respected. Another of the good ones ........................... gone.
Condolences to his family, friends and legion of fans. He is a real American treasure.

I drove on "Junior Johnson Highway" a week ago. It is part of RT. 421 a little East of North Wilkesboro speedway. Somewhat west of the speedway is Bennie Parson highway.
North Wilkesboro speedway looks kinda pitiful nowadays.
We will never again see racing that Junior and the others of his era gave us at the old tracks. A by-gone time, but as in everything, time doesn't stand still.

btw, our city newspaper had the news of Junior's passing as the headline on the front page. It continued on page 2 with a full page discussion of Junior. The sports page also had a lot of space devoted to him.

I got a chance to meet an interview him about 10 years ago when I was writing local racing stories for my local paper. He was doing an appearance when his "moonshine" first came onto the market. He was very nice and told some good stories. They'll never be another one like him.

Back
Top Bottom