Kenseth "OUTRAGED"

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Points leader Matt Kenseth was outraged about a penalty that cost him five bonus points and dropped him off the lead lap. The defending Cup champion never recovered and finished four laps down in 31st, whittling his lead to 21 points.

The trouble started when a flat tire on his No. 17 Ford caused a Turn 1 spin and yellow flag on Lap 161. The pits weren't opened until Lap 165, but Kenseth made several stops to repair damage. When the lead-lap cars pitted, Kenseth remained on the track. He was shown as the leader on Lap 166, but NASCAR black-flagged him for "passing cars under caution."

"They just make up rules as they go along," said Kenseth, who added NASCAR imposed the punishment "just to irritate us more. What I did was right. We pitted when the pits were closed, and the penalty is tail end of the longest line served before going green. . . . They didn't want us to get our five points for [leading], so they made up a rule and penalized us a lap. They could have at least put us back in the spot we were supposed to be in. It doesn't make sense."

Exasperated crew chief Robbie Reiser said he couldn't get an official explanation.

"They've got a different set of rules for every race," Reiser said.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Kenseth's entrance into the pits when closed prevented him from taking the lead.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I missed this incident, but all these rules have gotten out of hand. There are so many rules and variations to the rules that the announcers and Nascar themselves cant keep up or keep track.

Just let them race!

I thought there was more to him getting black flaged?

ohh well itskind of funny to see his luck from last year running out.

Criticize Nascash like that, and he will never win another championship again...ask Rusty...

Plagarized fron NASCAR.com...............notebook

Reiser confused over Kenseth penalty

Kenseth's crew got a little hot under the collar when NASCAR penalized the defending series champion under the race's fifth caution. Kenseth had spun to trigger the yellow and pitted before the pits were open. Under NASCAR rules, Kenseth would have to start at the end of the longest line.

But that's when the confusion arose. The rest of the lead-lap cars pitted when they were supposed to, and Kenseth thought he was in the lead at that point. He picked up his speed to get behind the pace car.

Robbie Reiser

Robbie Reiser, Kenseth's crew chief, was confused. Kenseth, Reiser said, would have gone to the end of the longest line for the restart but never got the chance because NASCAR penalized him for passing under the yellow.

"When they came along and gave us a one-lap penalty for pulling up to pit, I was really confused," Reiser said. "I didn't know what the problem was. And then they said they gave us a one-lap penalty for passing cars. Even if you pass cars on pit road they realign you out on the racetrack, and as long as you go back where they tell you, you don't get a penalty. I'm way confused on why."

NASCAR vice president Jim Hunter had a simple explanation.

"Remember, he came down pit road when it was closed," Hunter said. "And in the process, he's no longer the leader. So he comes around, and they're coming out of the pits, and he's passing them to go back behind the pace car. You can't pass people under caution. The field is frozen."

Kenseth struggled the rest of the race with a slightly damaged car and finished four laps down on 31st. That left Reiser philosophical over the penalty.

"Right now, does it matter?" Reiser said. "It don't matter."

Nascar seems to be doing more and more to get me mad at them.

Whats the deal with the commit cones, seems like 100 times a race someone accidentally gets near it and gets penalized.

But none of this ever happens to Earnhardt JR.

Originally posted by millermagic@Mar 22 2004, 03:42 PM

Whats the deal with the commit cones, seems like 100 times a race someone accidentally gets near it and gets penalized.

I haven't seen Jr knock a cone down yet. :blink:

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2+Mar 22 2004, 08:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DE_Wrangler_2 @ Mar 22 2004, 08:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--millermagic@Mar 22 2004, 03:42 PM

I haven't seen Jr knock a cone down yet. :blink: [/b][/quote]
I didn't really put it too clear ... but he can get away with anything

I don't know. Jim Hunter's explanation makes sense to me..........Matt's penalized for pitting before pit road is open and now he's supposed to be allowed to lead a lap when the other lead lap cars pit? A caution does not permit picking up positions except on pit road......he wasn't on pit road he was on the track. He passed cars on the track by pulling past the lap down cars and consequently passed the lead lap cars that were on pit road when he sped up. And that argument about "as long as you get back in your proper position by the time the green waves you don't get penalized" don't hold much water...........if that were the case then anyone on the lead lap could pass all the cars and pull up on the pace car before the start/finish line and get credit for leading a lap. Matt blew it.........he needs to just settle down and keep his points lead. :)

By the way, all this is because of the no racing back to the flag. It's a good rule but it's new and there's going to be confusion until all the quirks and bugs are understood. And I guess I'll be the only one sticking up for NASCAR again!!. NASCAR did it right on this one. But I doubt many will agree............ho hummmm!! :(

Well, there are at least 2 people that think NASCAR got this one right!

No way Kenseth should allowed to profit from violating the rules and that is exactly what he was trying to do. He pitted while pit road was closed. If he had stayed on the track he would have never been in a position to lead the race under the caution period.

If you allow that to happen, then you'll have all sorts of cars pitting before pit road is open if they'll be allowed to grab 5 points by doign so.

And I just don't get why these teams don't get this. Don't go by a car under caution until NASCAR tells you to do so. If NASCAR doesn't think your lined up in the right position, they'll tell you where to go ;)

Sorry folks. Kenseth messed this one up and suffered the consequences.

Next time they'll think twice before driving by cars under the caution with instruction from NASCAR to do so.

Well the way I see it,
#1 passing cars under caution should have been 1 penalty.
#2 entering pit road while closed should have been a second penalty.

Stop your crying, you still got off light.

Guess they expected NASCAR to screw up like the did a couple weeks ago and give them the lead when they should've been a lap down. NASCAR swears their call then was right, but funny the action was reverced this time around.

I hope some of you remember your comments the next time golden boy gets penalized - if he ever does.

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 23 2004, 06:07 PM
I hope some of you remember your comments the next time golden boy gets penalized - if he ever does.
Have no fear...........I won't!! :) If that had happened to Jr and he whined like Matt, I'd even fire off an email to his fan site! NA$CA$H bashers are the only ones screaming anyway. :)

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 23 2004, 08:07 PM
You won't hear me whining.

Besides, arguing with NASCAR is like having relations with an elephant --- you have a good chance of getting stomped.

I also believe that NASCAR got the call right on this one,miracles do happen I suppose ;) :lol:

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 22 2004, 07:35 PM
&nbsp; A caution does not permit picking up positions except on pit road......he wasn't on pit road he was on the track.&nbsp;
Hmmm, generally when you are under caution, and everyone in front of you pits and you don't pit...don't you assume the lead of the race?

Actually, what I heard happened is that when Matt was closing up on the pace car...some of the other cars coming off of pit road drove past him. So those cars passed Matt under caution too. Matt took matters into his own hand and dropped to the bottom of the track and went back around them.

I don't totally disagree with the penalty & I feel Matt should have stayed put and let Nascar sort it out.

:D

Attachments

• 3.21.04.gif
    3.21.04.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 133
Hmmm, generally when you are under caution, and everyone in front of you pits and you don't pit...don't you assume the lead of the race?

Yes you do..........when you pit and the pits are open. Not when you pit and the pits are closed.......you are under a penalty at that point.

Actually, what I heard happened is that when Matt was closing up on the pace car...some of the other cars coming off of pit road drove past him. So those cars passed Matt under caution too. Matt took matters into his own hand and dropped to the bottom of the track and went back around them.

And there lies the problem. He's supposed to be at the tail end of the longest line.........not leading the lap. And I believe the reason Matt was held a lap is because the races are scored electronically using transponders on each car to record their positions as they cross the start/finish line. The computer is going to say he lead a lap because of his speeding up to pass those cars.............and he did not under the rules. But, I guess one can't fault him for trying. :) I was just disappointed in his whining about it.........I mean, Matt Kenseth whining? :(

17_fan, a piece of advice...arguing with some of these Jr. fans is like running in the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded.

I find it best to make your statement and let 'em boil away.

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 25 2004, 06:18 AM
17_fan, a piece of advice...arguing with some of these Jr. fans is like running in the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded.

<_<

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 25 2004, 05:18 AM

Point taken.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 24 2004, 07:34 PM

Yes you do..........when you pit and the pits are open. Not when you pit and the pits are closed.......you are under a penalty at that point.

Actually, I wasn't referring to Matt's situation. It was a hypothetical statement made more to shoot holes in your comment were you said, "A caution does not permit picking up positions except on pit road......he wasn't on pit road he was on the track". After all, staying out on the track during a caution is the only way Kyle Petty gets any bonus points! :lol:

Obviously though, Nascar did a terrible job explaining the rule to the teams, not only the #17 team. They were not the only ones that thought that the penalty for pitting when pit road is closed was to go to the tail end of the longest line and is assessed when they are lining up to go back green. I don't disagree with the statement that Matt was under penalty & I don't think it's right to be credited with leading a lap under said penalty of pitting before pit road is open, but if that is the rule, Nascar probably should have explained it a little better.

Oh well, it's all spilled milk now. Once the Nascar gauntlet came down...nothing was going to change.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 24 2004, 07:34 PM
I was just disappointed in his whining about it.........I mean, Matt Kenseth whining? :(
LOL...you act like Matt is the first driver to ever whine about a decision made by Nascar? Earnhardt Sr. & RCR changed it into the art form it is today! If you listen to Matt over the scanner, he does a lot of whining if the car isn't right...no different than most drivers.

Sounds like you knew the rule better than the #17 team. Too bad you couldn't have been in the pits at Darlington to give them a little guidance on it. :p

I was referring to Matt.............of all people............whining. That's the first time I've heard him whine!! Somewhere along the line you have decided that because I'm a Jr fan, I'm not a Kenseth fan too! I happen to like Matt a lot!! If Matt drove for someone other than Jack Roush he just might be my favorite!! :) Well, if he went with Chip Ganassi, I'd still have the same problem!! :D

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 25 2004, 07:37 PM
I was referring to Matt.............of all people............whining.&nbsp; That's the first time I've heard him whine!!&nbsp; Somewhere along the line you have decided that because I'm a Jr fan, I'm not a Kenseth fan too!&nbsp; I happen to like Matt a lot!!&nbsp; If Matt drove for someone other than Jack Roush he just might be my favorite!! :)&nbsp; Well, if he went with Chip Ganassi, I'd still have the same problem!! :D
Actually, I didn't realize you were a Jr. fan. Just figured you to be a fan of the old man & Rusty with your avatar & screen name. No harm, no foul. :D

I remember once Dale Jarret was black flagged for having smoke trailing from his car, but there was no signs of oil even before he was brought in. Had they not forced him to pit, he would have actually won the championship that year (based off the potential points he lost). Nascar has a way of making up rules as they go along sometimes, so never expect there to be total consistency.

Originally posted by rpmallen@Mar 26 2004, 12:56 PM
I remember once Dale Jarret was black flagged for having smoke trailing from his car, but there was no signs of oil even before he was brought in. Had they not forced him to pit, he would have actually won the championship that year (based off the potential points he lost). Nascar has a way of making up rules as they go along sometimes, so never expect there to be total consistency.
Watkins Glen...1997. I'm a DJ fan too. The worst part was that he was running in the top 10 when they black flagged him. He finished in the high 30's, 32nd I think?

Back
Top Bottom