Kevin Harvick: Most 500-mile races should be shorter

Agree 100%. the majority of the races are too long. I've been a fan almost 25 years so it's not a newbie to the sport saying this. I'd keep the Daytona 500, Southern 500 and World 600 as they are. every other race on the schedule should be 2.5 hrs tops green to checkers.

He said it himself. Kevin is doing a sensible compromise. Leave the crown jewels as is and shorten the non-essential ones.

But of course the rabid fans are jumping all over him for it. LOL

Harvick would make a good businessman. He knows the current trend and moods of the fans. Most dont want to endure 3+ hours of watching. Specially these days in modern sociaty where we get distracted on a dime. It's just reality.

There are many times I've been at MIS and wished that the race was 50 laps shorter. Chicagoland would be perfect at 200 laps. 2.5 hours per race is plenty.

If ole Harv was half the business woman DeLana is he’d recognize timed events are the way of the future.

And, additional gimmicks enhancements.

He said it himself. Kevin is doing a sensible compromise. Leave the crown jewels as is and shorten the non-essential ones.

But of course the rabid fans are jumping all over him for it. LOL

Harvick would make a good businessman. He knows the current trend and moods of the fans. Most dont want to endure 3+ hours of watching. Specially these days in modern sociaty where we get distracted on a dime. It's just reality.

Problem is, the fans who pay to watch the races don't want to see them shortened.

This problem is only going to get worse, what fans at the track want vs. what TV wants. Keep in mind, the fans at the track are the ones who want more night races, even though the night races are consistently the worst races not held in Indianapolis.

Before this new format I also said the races were too long and thought timed races would shorten the races. But I'm liking the new format even tho it doesn't shorten the time spent watching the races. It took me a while to look at it differently. Basically the stage racing is like heat racing we get 2 heat races then the Main is run.

Shortening the races has a direct correlation to grocery shopping...... I do all the grocery shopping and watch the quanity and price. Nothing pisses me off worse to see them slip in a lower quanity and increase the price.... and think you won't notice.....

Shortening the races amounts to the same thing...... the only difference is.........

We notice it.

I really don't care if Kevin or any of the other drivers think they are overworked.... I don't own a home on Lake Norman or have a private Jet.....

I don't attend races anymore.... but if I did...... I sure as hell would want my monies worth........ It's not a cheap trip for most folks....

The folks that have a short attention span aren't what I call racing diehards......

Problem is, the fans who pay to watch the races don't want to see them shortened.

This problem is only going to get worse, what fans at the track want vs. what TV wants. Keep in mind, the fans at the track are the ones who want more night races, even though the night races are consistently the worst races not held in Indianapolis.

You summed that up nicely.

I would have to agree that as a fan in attendance, it would suck to see 100 miles cut off when you're there all weekend. It just seems like on TV and the replays I watch, is some of these 400 mile races at Fontana & Pocono have both been generally better races since they cut off 100 miles. I think it all depends on race track, if it was a short track at 500 laps, NO I would not want that shortened.

Just my 2 cents but I think that Nascar could benefit from speeding up the caution periods and hire people that move like lightning to pick up spring rubbers, water bottles and other simple debris. Keep the pits closed, pick up the debris and get moving as there is no need for it to turn into a 6-8 minute race stoppage.

Pit Road should always be open unless there is a crash in the pits
No luck dog
No Waive around
No double file restarts shootout style
The second the debris is cleared, waive the Green flag regardless of where the leader is at.

Back
Top Bottom