Kurt Busch... Behind The Curtain at Chip Ganassi Racing

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by LewTheShoe, Oct 3, 2019.

1. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Kurt Busch 2019.jpg

When Kurt Busch split with Stewart-Haas Racing a year ago and signed with Chip Ganassi's two car team, there were two common sentiments expressed here and elsewhere in social media... First, it was a downward move, not a lateral one, as SHR was a top tier outfit at the top of its game, while CGR was considerably less competitive. Second, many people expressed confidence that Kurt would be a positive influence on teammate Kyle Larson, who has a lot of natural talent but suffered from lack of a winning team environment.

So how has all that worked out? Jordan Bianchi has posted a fascinating piece in The Athletic (link for subscribers). Includes an update on the status for 2020... both sides expect Busch to continue in 2020... Ganassi said "It’s all but imminent."

2. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

Read the first few paragraphs. Looks like a very good article.

LewTheShoe and Ventisca like this.
  3. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Team Owner

I could only read the first few paragraphs of the article since it is behind a paywall but it looked like a good article.

Kurt has apparently turned his life around considerably since the days when he was blowing up in public and with his team what seemed like almost every week. I can still remember Jimmy Spencer clocking him in the head and Harvick nicknaming him "Rubberhead" back in those days. It seemed like he couldn't stay with any team for very long because of his behavior.

I believe he was finally getting a lot of help and support, including from sports psychologists. He deserves a lot of credit for getting it together these days. Hopefully he can continue that way.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  4. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I think also he seems to have finally got a good Woman and wife at his side now, that is not crazy as a sh*t house rat.:D

Joker and LewTheShoe like this.
  5. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

I placed the entire article in the quote box in the OP above. Did you click on the quote box to open it? It works for me, in my browser. I think it will work for everyone...?

6. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

I read the whole thing.... He sounds like a good fit for the team

Joker, Team Penske and LewTheShoe like this.
  7. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

and Larson seems to happy with him as a teacher for both teams.

LewTheShoe and Clutch like this.
  8. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

A good woman grounds all of us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Yep.....I call mine Lucky :)

10. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

Remind me again why people seem so eager to chuck Kurt aside and replace him with some mediocre driver like Chastain?

11. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

Kurt has earned another year with the team on merit. That said, slapping the "mediocre" label on a guy like Ross Chastain who outperforms every bit of equipment he is handed seems like a big overstatement to me.

12. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

This

LewTheShoe likes this.
  13. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

Yes, in the Xfinity series.

14. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

The guy finished 22nd last week in a Jay Robinson car.. & also managed a 22nd place finish at Indianapolis in the 15 along with a top 10 in the D500.

15. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

I'm sensing a little bias, which, in his context, I can kind of understand, since his driver had some run ins with him... but that's all it is, bias.

16. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

Bubba has pulled off some similar finishes in a junker. I don't see anyone advocating chucking Kurt aside for him.

17. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

There's a huge difference between Richard Petty Motorsports equipment and Premium Motorsports equipment. Big difference actually.

And Ross had a deal with CGR and Bubba doesn't, that's why us fans discuss Ross in the 1. None of us are saying it's wise for Kurt (associated with Monster) to be chucked aside for Ross either.

18. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

So it's just the internet jumping to the defense of muh humble watermelon merchant again then. :rolleyes:

If I called, like, Justin Haley mediocre, no one would care.

19. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Do you actually realize what equipment RPM versus Premium Motorsports gets?

Bubba's doing a good job. I really don't get what Bubba has to do with the conversation here.