Kurt Speaks

majestyx

Administrator
Staff member
Busch says he didn't try to hurt Spencer
By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive
August 22, 2003
1:12 PM EDT (1712 GMT)

BRISTOL, Tenn. -- Kurt Busch said Friday he has never intentionally tried to harm Jimmy Spencer and that there was no reason for the post-race skirmish between the two drivers last weekend at Michigan International Speedway.

"It's one thing to bump a guy out of the way for the lead, but you never try to purposely hurt anybody," Busch said. "I have never tried to purposely or intentionally hurt Jimmy Spencer, or any other competitor for that matter.

"What happened on the racetrack, there was no means for the actions that happened after the race."

Robby Gordon disagreed. Gordon, who offered to pay Spencer's fine last weekend, said that Busch's comments after Spencer wrecked him in the 2002 Brickyard 400 constituted means for payback.

Following that incident, in which Spencer spun Busch hard into the wall, Busch called Spencer a "decrepit old has-been" on national television.

"I'm okay with Kurt leaning on Jimmy here (last year). And hey, Jimmy probably paid him back at Indianapolis," Gordon said. "But the only reason I made my comment -- and nobody really understands why I said that (last week) - -- I said that because of what (Busch) said personally about Jimmy, not about the racing incidents on the racetrack.

"If you say that to somebody about somebody, it's just a matter of time before you get a black eye. You've got to have some respect for your competitors, and I don't think he had respect for Jimmy."

According to industry sources, several drivers share Gordon's sentiments. When asked about the notion that he required an attitude adjustment, Busch was indifferent.

"That's their prerogative, and I guess you just have to consider the source on where that's actually coming from," Busch said. "I'm a competitor that races hard every lap and goes to the front, and with my past history on the racetrack I think I've proven my loyalty with 43 drivers that I can be trusted out on the racetrack.

"The whole circumstance evolved around me running out of fuel. That was on the racetrack, and again in the pit area after the race. If I could have done anything different, I could have stopped out on pit road. But I never even thought there was going to be an altercation come out of it."

For his actions (Spencer punched Busch in the face while Busch was parked in the garage area after the race, still strapped into his car) Spencer is forced to sit out this weekend's trio of races at Bristol, his favorite track.

The feud began in 2001 at Phoenix when Spencer spun Busch out, then escalated last year at Bristol and Indy before festering to a boiling point last weekend, when Busch admittedly attempted to flatten Spencer's left front fender by slamming into him during competition.

Busch said such strategy is used during every race on the tour.

"There isn't a race that goes by where someone doesn't employ a racing tactic like Jimmy and I did to one another last weekend at Michigan," Busch said.

'I'm sorry for anything I had to do with it'

Busch questioned the media's coverage of the feud.

"Let me ask you, the media, a question," Busch said. "I don't understand what the difference is with you guys when Spencer and I are racing, or when we have a situation like I did last spring at Darlington with Ricky Craven and I. Nothing was publicized in a negative way.

"Or even when Johnny Benson and I were racing at Martinsville last fall. We're all doing what we need to do. NASCAR Winston Cup competition is the toughest there is, and there are 43 of us out there each week racing hard every lap, every track.

"It's good to put this behind us and get back to the business of racing.

"I hate it for the Spencer fans, for my fans, for both our sponsors and teams that Jimmy and I finished the day that we did last Sunday.

Those kinds of situations are not good for our sport and sends the wrong kind of message about the kind people we are. It's a shame for all of us that NASCAR was forced to impose the penalties it did. As for my part, I'm sorry for anything I had to do with it."

Busch said that the legal process is now in the hands of the Lenawee County district attorney's office and prosecutors.

Nascar.com Article

I hate to beat a dead horse on this but I havent given my $.02 on this this week, I will now:

Im not condoning what Jimmy did, but what he did was smarter (even though it was still dumb) to do that (punch him) than to retaliate on the track or pit lane and someone ends up getting hurt. Jimmy is old school, most people dont realize that. Did Kurt do enough to Jimmy at Michigan to substantiate the punch? No I dont think so. A good old fashioned rivalry is nice to see, but both drivers have taken it too far, so I place the blame on both drivers. Kurt took it to a whole new personal level when he called Jimmy a decripit has been (and he even looked at the camera when he said that). I felt that was wrong. Jimmy took it to another level with the punch, which was wrong. So I put the blame on both drivers.

Enough said, now on to Bristol!

Well after majestyx's post (the article)......

I rest my case!

Is that a good thing? (I hope!)
by_mib.gif

Since when is it an acceptable "racing tactic" to deliberately try to cave in a rival driver's fender? :blink: Seems like a pretty slimeball move to me. He sure hasn't proved to me that he can be trusted with 42 other drivers.

I've got to agree with what Benny said before qualifying: Kurt may say that he let this go a long time ago, but he sure hasn't if he's still looking for the 7 car on the race track, and then trying to rough him up.

Jimmy vs. Kurt
by Andy Marks

Jimmy Spencer's straight-right that landed flush on Kurt Busch's nose after Sunday's GFS Marketplace 400 sent a nation of NASCAR fans into heated dispute. Should Spencer have been suspended or did Busch have it coming?

With every chat room and message board on the Internet now alive with bickering race fans, only one thing is certain:

Stock car racing ain't what it used to be.

"It used to be you wouldn't get suspended for that,"FOX color commentator Darrell Waltrip said Tuesday. "If somebody ran into you out on the track and you didn't fight about it in the garage area, there was something wrong. I saw a huge turn in this sport when drivers started accosting each other and then they'd throw Perrier bottles at each other. To go back to punching somebody out is something we haven't seen in a long time.

"But leave it to Jimmy Spencer to get himself into hot water."

Yes, Mr. Excitement is old school. Spencer's version of NASCAR is the version that was born into the mainstream in 1979 at Daytona, when a stunning last-lap wreck left Cale Yarborough and the Allison brothers duking it out in the infield mud.

Okay, okay, using your fists to settle a dispute is a bad thing. But nobody can deny that on that one Sunday in 1979 - when CBS's first ever live, flag-to-flag broadcast of the Daytona 500 coincided with a massive snowstorm in the northeast that left an abnormally large amount of people sitting in front of their television sets - a whole new generation of fans was captivated by the last-minute drama and raw emotion they watched unfold.

Waltrip admitted, reluctantly, that the 1979 scrap probably helped the sport.

"It got a lot of publicity in places we would have never gotten it before," the three-time Winston Cup champion said. "So in that perspective I guess it would be considered a good thing."

But times have changed, according to Benny Parsons, another former champ and Waltrip's NBC counterpart.

"Back then we didn't have the audience we have now,Esaid Parsons. "That day we had a terrific audience and they saw something they weren't accustomed to. The wow-factor that day was really big, but today enough people watch the sport that we don't have that wow-factor."

Sorry, Benny, but I beg to differ.

The nation is talking about Jimmy vs. Kurt now just like it was talking about Cale vs. the Alabama Gang back then.

Spencer's only mistake Sunday was not waiting for Busch to get out of his car before confronting him. But anyone who wants to pin most or all of the blame on Spencer for the incident - as NASCAR did by suspending only one of the two drivers - is blind to the history of bad blood between them that both are responsible for.

Busch, one of the so-called Young Guns, is youthful, very talented, has great equipment, and is not afraid to use his bumpers to get to the front. He first drew attention as a physical driver in the truck series, when he wrecked leader Mike Wallace on the last lap at Dover and went on to take the checkered flag. In his first Winston Cup win at Bristol, he bumped Spencer, who appeared to be heading for the win, late in the race to take the lead for good. Spencer returned the favor later that season at Indianapolis. At Charlotte Busch took out Robby Gordon and then radioed in to his crew chief that it was because he needed a caution. Earlier this season at Darlington, Busch punted hard-charging Ricky Craven up the track with a lap to go before Craven saved his car and came back to win in a memorable duel.

Last weekend at Michigan, probably the circuit's easiest track for a clean pass, Busch banged into Spencer as he passed by for the lead and then admitted over his radio that he'd failed in his attempt to damage the No. 7 car's left front fender, calling Spencer a "clown" for the nation to hear.

Back in Ol' DW's day, stuff like that would get you dusted up in the garage after the race. And that's exactly what happened on Sunday.

Both NASCAR and the national media capitalized on the famous Daytona melee in 1979, but Mike Helton and Co. have mishandled this one by suspending Spencer for this week's Bristol race.

Worst of all, this weekend's TV product will be less without the high drama of Busch vs. Spencer II on a Bristol track notorious for heavy contact and hot tempers.

"It's a shame,"said Parsons, "Because that's one of (Spencer's) better race tracks."

A shame indeed.

Tomorrows race will deffinitely be very interesting! If ya blink you might miss something...

That's about what I would expect Kurt to say about the incident. He seems like he has never been able to admit being wrong. Not that this is all his fault by any means, but as I have said several times...Kurt is not the innocent angel in this deal

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 22 2003, 08:46 PM
Kurt is not the innocent angel in this deal
youre right,
on trackside tonight mike joy was talkin about the radio of when kurt was infront of jimmy's hauler and mike said that kurt said do something, bleepin do somethin.

I guess jimmy did...

Ya, it's all coming to light now!

You guys who defend the little woman shoud eat yor crow now and get it over.

Ya notice one thing that has not happened?

Not one iota of a syllable about what Spence may have said before, during, or after the on track contact. Not one syllable about what he may have said coming into the garage area after the race, before he rammed the back of Kurt's car, before he got out of the car, nor during the time he was at Kurts window jawing back and forth with him.

Lots of stuff on Kurt though........there is an obvious reason that only Kurt has been recorded and not Jimmy. Check your stats and standings.

One side of a picture ain't a story..........it's a tale.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Aug 22 2003, 08:42 PM

Not one iota of a syllable about what Spence may have said before, during, or after the on track contact. Not one syllable about what he may have said coming into the garage area after the race, before he rammed the back of Kurt's car, before he got out of the car, nor during the time he was at Kurts window jawing back and forth with him.

Lots of stuff on Kurt though........there is an obvious reason that only Kurt has been recorded and not Jimmy. Check your stats and standings.

Thank You! I've thought and wondered about this myself. Apparently Ultra racing has an agenda.

Originally posted by Brand X Guy+Aug 22 2003, 08:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brand X Guy @ Aug 22 2003, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--HardScrabble@Aug 22 2003, 08:42 PM

Thank You! I've thought and wondered about this myself. Apparently Ultra racing has an agenda. [/b][/quote]
And obviously, so do you!
moa.gif

Originally posted by majestyx+Aug 22 2003, 08:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (majestyx @ Aug 22 2003, 08:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Brand X Guy@Aug 22 2003, 08:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--HardScrabble
@Aug 22 2003, 08:42 PM

Thank You! I've thought and wondered about this myself. Apparently Ultra racing has an agenda.
moa.gif
[/b][/quote]
I don't know what your problem is, are you related to SliverRam?

Originally posted by Brand X Guy+Aug 22 2003, 09:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brand X Guy @ Aug 22 2003, 09:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -majestyx@Aug 22 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by -Brand X Guy@Aug 22 2003, 08:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--HardScrabble
@Aug 22 2003, 08:42 PM

moa.gif
I don't know what your problem is, are you related to SliverRam? [/b][/quote]
That would be a big time NEGATIVE
Band.gif

Oh no ULTRA Motorsports is seeking revenge ! QUICKLY, HIDE THE COWS AND CHICKENS !!!!!!

Some, perhaps many, are intent on characterizing Kurt's attempt to flatten Jimmys fender as wrong. I've seen everything from boneheaded, to slimeball, to one somewhere who wanted it classified as attempted murder.

The article first cited here has a quote from Kurt about the tactics he and Jimmy employed at Michigan. I am not sure that is an entirely accurate quote. This is what the transcript says of the quote in its entirety. (plus it supports my thoughts on the fender flattening!.LOL)

“I’d like to say something about racing now, because it’s clear that not everyone knows what happens on the race track every week. There isn’t a race that goes by where someone doesn’t employ a racing tactic like Jimmy and I did in Bristol that day. At a superspeedway, you might try to take the guy’s air off his spoiler to loosen him up, or you might try to knock his front fender in to make his car push. Just like the “bump and run,” it’s all a part of racing.

We havn't heard what Jimmy says, because Jimmy doesn't say much. Jimmy never forgets and he doesn't have to say much. He did make quite a statement with his fist. And no one will forget that.

I got it, I got it. Sence Jimmy Spencer is sitting out this weekend. He has a lot of time on his hands. So he comes on Racing-Forums as SilverRam just to voice his hatred for Kurt Busch. :lol:

What if he's really a sophisticated robot with an objective to hunt down Kurt Busch ?

Back
Top Bottom