Lead poisoning?

97forever

Team Owner
Anyone here have any experience with this? My grandson, who is four and lives with me, just had a doctor's result of elevated lead in his blood. Not real high, but enough to raise pretty big concerns.

The internet seems to suggest old houses or house paint could cause this....that's possible here, but a long shot. Where else could one get lead poisoning? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this?

It kinda freaked me out a little to be honest.

I had elevated lead levels from casting lead bullets and breathing the fumes. Sanding or disturbing the paint in old houses can cause problems but if the child hasnt been around this type of thing its hard to figure what it could be. Lead poisoning is serious stuff in young children, I hope you can get it figured out.

Thank you both for the input. The house isn't really old enough to even contain lead as far as the paint goes....maybe the water pipes, I honestly have no idea. The doctor was required to report it to the local HD, first ever case in this county...it's just weird.

Thank you both for the input. The house isn't really old enough to even contain lead as far as the paint goes....maybe the water pipes, I honestly have no idea. The doctor was required to report it to the local HD, first ever case in this county...it's just weird.

Even houses with copper pipes have soldered joints, some plumbers dont like to use the new lead free solder and insist on using the old stuff, its worth checking the water

Lead base paint can be found in any house built, pre 1978. A sure sign is lead base paint cracks over time and chips.

If you have a municipal water system the water plant will have test results for lead and about 2-300 more things you can't pronounce. The EPA requires this and the municipality is required to put out a yearly report. I'd definitely have a lab run a test for the tap in your house.

Back
Top Bottom