Let Us Remember

nascarwoman

Admin
Staff member
Today is the 70th. anniversary of D-Day. Let us pause a moment to remember those who charged the beaches in the early hours. Many never made it home. We owe them a great debt. The guys who came home are owed a big thank you. All are owed our unwavering respect. :salute::salute:

Dawn, 70 years ago.

BpZOA-kCcAALYX6.jpg:large

Bpa_xAHCMAACI73.jpg:large

Last edited:
One of the most important battles in the history of mankind.

President Obama said it best earlier today: "We have to honor those who carry forward that legacy today, recognizing that people cannot live in freedom unless free people are prepared to die for it."

One of the most important battles in the history of mankind.

President Obama said it best earlier today: "We have to honor those who carry forward that legacy today, recognizing that people cannot live in freedom unless free people are prepared to die for it."
That has to be the single greatest quote I've ever heard attributed to him.

I remember what I felt when I learned about this battle in school. I just remember putting myself in the mind of those men, many of them just 18 years old or so, and knowing that I was almost certainly going to die storming that beach but deciding "Screw it, let's roll. Some things are just more important than whether I go home today or not".

These people are the greatest example that true courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to proceed in spite of it.

Just this morning was talking to a chap who flew a fighter plane in the Pacific Theatre. He explained how he was only 19 years old when he entered the Army and told a fascinating story of his experience in getting into flight training and a few of his experiences during his service. He was stationed in Saipan and had interesting mentions of many things. Retired as a colonel and is still sharp as a tack. As a matter of fact, I had met this chap three yeas ago and when I saw him this morning, started by saying, "You might remember me but .... " and told him my name. He looked at me and smiled and said, "Sure I do. You have a daughter who lives on Sawyer Road." Ya coulda knocked me over with a fender when he recalled that. (Borrowed that line from Gracie Allen.)

We chatted about fifteen minutes and made arrangements to pick him up one day next week and go for coffee. I am looking forward to hearing him relate more of his WWII experiences and if there is interest, will relay them here.

Meantime, it would be neat if any who have recollections of that time in history were to share their experiences. Or am I the only one old enough to have recollections of that war through the eyes of a child?

Back
Top Bottom