Letarte gone after 2014

Chad and Jimmie are successful because of their chemistry; you can't just uproot Chad and give him to any team/driver and expect the same amount of success. I doubt we'll see Chad CC'ing for any other driver before he retires.

I understand and completely agree but, IMO, it'd be a very popular move to make.

Who's to say Chad would even agree to it. He's like a Phil Jackson in that he's won so many championships, he's not going to go anywhere where he couldn't have a very good chance to do it again. He's built a solid legacy and he can pick and choose his next move IMO. I think he's more likely to step into a mgmt. role rather than try to get another driver "over the hump"

Who's to say Chad would even agree to it. He's like a Phil Jackson in that he's won so many championships, he's not going to go anywhere where he couldn't have a very good chance to do it again. He's built a solid legacy and he can pick and choose his next move IMO. I think he's more likely to step into a mgmt. role rather than try to get another driver "over the hump"

I do recall him saying that this is his intention once he's done CC'ing for the 48 team.

Chad and Jimmie are successful because of their chemistry; you can't just uproot Chad and give him to any team/driver and expect the same amount of success. I doubt we'll see Chad CC'ing for any other driver before he retires.

Chemistry plays a big role in it the but I think mechanical know how its how you get it done.

Chemistry gives you confidence and trust. That's not what's going to make you win multiple championships or races.

I look at it this way, if you are winning lots of races, the chemistry between Crew Chief and driver solve themselves.

Also, lets not forget driver talent too. ;)

Last edited:
Chemistry plays a big role in it the but I think mechanical know how its how you get it done.

Chemistry gives you confidence and trust. That's not what's going to make you win multiple championships or races.

I look at it this way, if you are winning lots of races, the chemistry between Crew Chief and driver solve themselves.

Also, lets not forget driver talent too. ;)

Driver/equipment obviously plays a large role. If Chad was simply a mastermind who could work miracles, he would have been successful when he was working with Stacy Compton :D

Wishful thinking that Chad and their driver...insert here_______ would do better. Chad will give you a good, sometimes a great car, but you need a wheel man. Plenty of drivers racing out there with as good or better equipment, and faster pit crews on any given Sunday. That's why I watch.

Not with this Jr fan.
Yeah, I love Chad but I'd be indifferent to it until we saw some actual results. Again, as we've all mentioned many times, chemistry is the key to the success of a driver/CC paring, not the past individual success of either the driver or CC. Junior would not automatically become an instant favorite to win the title if he joined up with Chad.

Regardless, this discussion is pretty much moot because this will never happen in a million years. Yeah, anything's possible, but Rick Hendrick would be a fool to split Jimmie and Chad up now.

I don't think Jr. would be able to provide the feedback that JJ does for Chad to set up and adjust the car.

Why not? Does Jr. not have a mouth?

Loose, tight, center off, corner tight and so on.

If you have some experience in Cup you ought to know what the car needs.

Why not? Does Jr. not have a mouth?

Loose, tight, center off, corner tight and so on.

If you have some experience in Cup you ought to know what the car needs.
Take it from Chad himself:

Knaus handles everything about the mechanics of the car — Johnson admits he knows almost nothing about the way the car is set up for any given race (Knaus says you can take “almost” out of the equation; Johnson knows absolutely nothing about the setup). Meanwhile, Johnson handles the car itself. He is constantly telling Knaus how the car FEELS as he drives it. Knaus admits being astonished at Johnson’s feel for a race car; he believes it is utterly unmatched.

Also, and this isn't meant as a slight, Jr's. radio chatter usually seems pretty basic.

http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnanski/whats-secret-jimmie-johnson-and-chad-knaus-success

Utterly Ummatched. OK

Cant argue with a biased opinion.

Maybe more drivers should let the crew chief do his job and just provide a little feedback, seems to work well for JJ and Chad.

Maybe more drivers should let the crew chief do his job and just provide a little feedback, seems to work well for JJ and Chad.
Bingo. Great post. I think that Kyle has come a long way in this area. More to do, however. Dave is capable. It's coming. Again, you nailed it. :punkrocke

Utterly Ummatched. OK

Cant argue with a biased opinion.

I'm sure there are many crew chiefs out there who will tell you that their drivers aren't stellar communicators :XXROFL:

Basically. Chad calls 99% of the shots during a race, and that seems to work for the team.

Bingo. Great post. I think that Kyle has come a long way in this area. More to do, however. Dave is capable. It's coming. Again, you nailed it. :punkrocke

Kyle argues with his crew chief all the time, we have both heard it and it hurts their success. Maybe Rogers sucks and Kyle needs to do his job and maybe Kyle should just let him do his thing and drive the damned car. If they ever figure it out there will be no stopping Kyle Busch. I cuss Rogers all the time , maybe I shouldnt but I feel I should stand by my driver no matter what.

I'm sure there are many crew chiefs out there who will tell you that their drivers aren't stellar communicators :XXROFL:

That's my point. lol

No CC will come out and say their drivers are talentless hacks while they're employed at whichever organization.

I think Rick Hendrick is the type of guy that would not be afraid to make a move like that . His thing isn't about King making and making one person a bigger star than everyone else . He has proven more than once that he will make moves that will help the company . Nobody would have predicted that he would move Jeff Gordons' entire crew to Jimmie . At the time , Jeff seemed to be the bigger star. I think that he would love to see all of his drivers have multiple championships .

Don't know , but Hendrick could have said ...No way I'm upsetting Gordon.

Upsetting Gordon over what? He was dead meat at that point so he had nothing to lose really.

Them guys in the 48 were right in the hunt.

I found the situation hilarious.

Kyle argues with his crew chief all the time, we have both heard it and it hurts their success. Maybe Rogers sucks and Kyle needs to do his job and maybe Kyle should just let him do his thing and drive the damned car. If they ever figure it out there will be no stopping Kyle Busch. I cuss Rogers all the time , maybe I shouldnt but I feel I should stand by my driver no matter what.

oh great, what's next an 18 tat on the forehead?

Upsetting Gordon over what? He was dead meat at that point so he had nothing to lose really.

Them guys in the 48 were right in the hunt.

I found the situation hilarious.

Not sayin it wasn't the right decision . Not sayin it din't work out great . Just sayin it was unprecedented and it was a move that showed Rick cares more about the company than he does about his stars . It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him shake things up this year .

oh great, what's next an 18 tat on the forehead?
Bad-Mugshot-Kyle-Busch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom