Life Without NASCAR

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
Awakening a week ago and realizing that NASCAR wouldn't go back to racing for another two and a half weeks.

dt's.jpg

I have plenty of things keeping me busy. Dirt racing, football training camps are starting up, Olympic basketball. I'll admit Sunday was a bit tough except getting in a really good nap.

It's just weird given the Olympics are not the mass draw that they once were. In a world of fragmented media and where everyone can get their own niche programming, I find it odd NBC shut NASCAR down. With Peacock it's not like NBC doesn't have a place to put NASCAR or the Olympics or whatever they want to show there.

But hey, maybe I'm the out of touch one and half this forum is watching swimming and basketball and the rest of the summer Olympics and NASCAR ratings would've tanked going head-head.

With Peacock it's not like NBC doesn't have a place to put NASCAR or the Olympics or whatever they want to show there.
1) NBC wants / needs all available talent in Paris. Other than the Golf Channel guys, is NBC covering anything else these two weeks?

2) The Olys are NBC's big quadrennial cash cow. It may not be as big as it was but they're going to milk every dime out of it. If there's no race on, who knows, diehard race fans just might tune in to some Oly event. But if you give me a choice, I'm watching cars every time. Why compete with yourself?

My girlfriend seems happy about it as she has found plenty of work to keep me occupied on Sunday afternoons.

Got a deck to stain and seal this weekend...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1) NBC wants / needs all available talent in Paris. Other than the Golf Channel guys, is NBC covering anything else these two weeks?

2) The Olys are NBC's big quadrennial cash cow. It may not be as big as it was but they're going to milk every dime out of it. If there's no race on, who knows, diehard race fans just might tune in to some Oly event. But if you give me a choice, I'm watching cars every time. Why compete with yourself?
They could let me call the race, and some of the other members can work the cameras.

I'm pretty damn tired of the break. Thanks but no thanks NBC. I'm not missing the gerbils ....yet.
I'm one of the 77% that love Nascar as Kenny says.

I'm pretty damn tired of the break. Thanks but no thanks NBC. I'm not missing the gerbils ....yet.
I'm one of the 77% that love Nascar as Kenny says.

Kenny's "will they like NASCAR more" spiel about fan psychology reminded me of Professor Irwin Corey, the from back in the day.

My girlfriend seems happy about it as she has found plenty of work to keep me occupied on Sunday afternoons.

Got a deck to stain and seal this weekend...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've whittled my "honey-do" list down to about a page and a half.

I’ve been to 3 different local short tracks since Indy. Some great racing out there and probably some right near you. Support the grassroots level this week and next.
I've been catching Indiana Speed week on Flo...Problem is I prefer to be able to do both in racing season Nascar and dirt racing, no problem.

It's just weird given the Olympics are not the mass draw that they once were. In a world of fragmented media and where everyone can get their own niche programming, I find it odd NBC shut NASCAR down. With Peacock it's not like NBC doesn't have a place to put NASCAR or the Olympics or whatever they want to show there.

But hey, maybe I'm the out of touch one and half this forum is watching swimming and basketball and the rest of the summer Olympics and NASCAR ratings would've tanked going head-head.
The broadcast format and measurement methods have changed a lot in a short period of time, but interest so far seems to be be trending much better than anything since London 2012 - which still had both Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt in their prime. Obviously COVID had a big impact on each of the last two Olympics and I think there was generally some sense of fatigue in seeing three consecutive Asian locations as well, and Paris has an appeal much more similar to London.

Of course, with every NBC network booked wall-to-wall each day I doubt NASCAR themselves would’ve been okay resigning themselves to having a Cup race or two on Peacock and cratering viewership if NBC even gave them the choice to go on as scheduled. I think fans probably would’ve be more upset if that were the solution.

I’ve been to 3 different local short tracks since Indy. Some great racing out there and probably some right near you. Support the grassroots level this week and next.
My problem is that I have to wake up at 6am on Sundays and I typically don’t make it out of the local track till midnight, so I only go selectively depending on which classes are racing.

My problem is that I have to wake up at 6am on Sundays and I typically don’t make it out of the local track till midnight, so I only go selectively depending on which classes are racing.

My local track used to keep me there till midnight, nowadays I'm normally on the road by 1030.

Luckily most places up here in NY have me out by 10-10:30 but any time I go to short track races down south or out west they have no urgency to get the show in. Midnight is an early night a lot of places.

I have kept the SPA F1 and Brickyard race on the DVR and can watch different parts if it gets really bad. But I haven't needed to yet.

I think the worse stuff happens on the internet during a long break (in general not just going after RF). People start going off on drivers who ran out of talent, why a certain driver ain't manly enough or worth a damn at anything in life.
Then somebody goes over the top and it just escalates into the arrogant loud mouth internet asswhuppings until the green finally and mercifully drops again.

We didn't have the internet back in the day and almost all of the racing was on the MRN radio. I would have to go to Rockingham in Febuary or Richmond and it was so cold. We didn't have big screen TVs and phones to post about every thing a snowflake just couldn't abide.

We would go to the races, poor from the expenses, only able to afford a bowl of soup stored in a plastic bag to eat. Learning to heat up the soup over an open fire without burning your shoe, which you were improvising as a bowl, in order to survive was a required skill. There were a few times when I was only able to go home with one shoe, only to be further disciplined for wasting the only shoes I would get that year.

But I never got bitter about it and appreciated it all. I even learned to rotate my remaining shoe between the cautions in order to prevent frostbite. My toes are still crooked to this day, and I have learned to live with that and be at peace about it all. In spite of those who made fun of my right toes that were permanently deformed while wearing a left-footed shoe. The worst part was losing the love of my life because she made the most fun of my deformed toes. I expected better and for her to appreciate my character as a rugged survivor and even to be aroused by the very idea.

It took a long time, but the Lord helped me to forgive her for running off with a better foot.
Through it all, the Lord has been good to me, and I only dwell on the good times. I can't fix all the injustices.

I just hope all the young pampered fans appreciate everything that us humble pioneer fans put up to get us to this current life of ease.
Try to be patient, kind and respectful and as lovingly cheerful as us humble pioneers have learned. Live with a graceful spirit and a tolerance for the idiots that don't their ass from a hole in ground

Most of try not to get any corns on your tender ass during the down time before the green flag drops again.

Peace and only the best wishes to all.

My local track used to keep me there till midnight, nowadays I'm normally on the road by 1030.

Our track is the opposite. They used to have a caution limit, somewhere between 5 and 10, before they’d just have a green-white-checkered. They may have felt that wasn’t fair for guys starting in the back, so now it’s like they’re cool with 20+ cautions a race. It’s not uncommon for a 15 lap feature to take at least 45 minutes to finish. It gets exhausting as it seems like it happens every night I am there.

I DVR races and watch when I want. So Nastycar being off for 2 weeks ain't no big deal to me at all. As mentioned earlier by a couple of forum gooroos, I am also sure that the Drivers with family, this really works out great as kids are on summer break. Plus I agree Nastycar having several weekend breaks would be a good thing, especially now that Nastycar is running IROC cars every week .

We are keeping up with NHRA, we do this anyway whether Nastycar is racing or not.

My schedule hasn't changed a bit during this 2 week Nastycar layoff. I'm In the woods as much as possible away from humanity.

A man was laying in his lounge chair sipping a Martini while his wife was cutting the grass and sweating up a storm. The neighbors wife peered across the fence and said "sir, you should he hung for letting your wife cut the grass whilst you lay there drinking" The man said, " I'am hung, that's why shes cutting the grass" "

I live in a college town. Football is king here. When football season is over, people moan about nothing to do until September and the next season. Some of these responses remind me of this. I'm glad I have many things to keep me interested.

I DVR races and watch when I want. So Nastycar being off for 2 weeks ain't no big deal to me at all. As mentioned earlier by a couple of forum gooroos, I am also sure that the Drivers with family, this really works out great as kids are on summer break. Plus I agree Nastycar having several weekend breaks would be a good thing, especially now that Nastycar is running IROC cars every week .

We are keeping up with NHRA, we do this anyway whether Nastycar is racing or not.

My schedule hasn't changed a bit during this 2 week Nastycar layoff. I'm In the woods as much as possible away from humanity.
Nastycar?

Just reminiscing about the day Shane Van Gisbergen put 840 points on the Pick ‘Em leaderboard all by himself. 😇

I do miss the races but I’ve got plenty to do so a couple of weeks off are fine. I really like the idea of shop employees getting a break.

Another weekend of nothing...I'm not looking forward too. There are some races on Flo at least. It ain't right, it's racing season.

I have to pull maintenance on the recliners. That usually requires extensive tuning and testing.
It a great time for a mid season recliner refresh, and even to experiment with some recliner rocker spring rates. WD-40 does wonders for the weekly maintenance during the heat of the battle when there isn't enough time between the races.

Back
Top Bottom