Zerkfitting

Team Owner
I was logged in and replying to a thread and I got a message I needed to log in while I was already logged in. This happened a couple times over the weekend. I'm wondering if others have seen this or if it something at my end. I attached a screen shot that shows me logged in and the popup asking me to log in when I tried to post a reply.

racing forum.jpg

@fury did you do any database updates over the weekend that would have upset the cookie monster?

Yeah, this happens to me sometimes, too. I've always assumed it was just a random connection issue on my end, since I mainly notice it when I have a weak or spotty connection at the time. I was never really concerned enough to ask about it.

Yeah, this happens to me sometimes, too. I've always assumed it was just a random connection issue on my end, since I mainly notice it when I have a weak or spotty connection at the time. I was never really concerned enough to ask about it.
We may need to.reimplement the roll call.

I still get logged out on occasion. When I do log in I always uncheck "Stay Logged In" (I wish unchecked was the default or a preference).

I still get logged out on occasion. When I do log in I always uncheck "Stay Logged In" (I wish unchecked was the default or a preference).
Ah. I think I can explain then.

When you don't check the checkbox, you're getting a session cookie that tells the browser "throw me away any time". Typically this is expected to last until you close the tab, but modern browsers are more likely to aggressively clean out cookies (especially mobile, but not limited to mobile).

When you check the checkbox, the cookie says "keep me around until I explicitly log out or tell you to clear cookies".

Try checking "stay logged in" and just use the log out button when you're done. Or maybe a private browser window which will definitely delete any cookies, if you don't mind not logging the history of threads you've visited.

Ah. I think I can explain then.

When you don't check the checkbox, you're getting a session cookie that tells the browser "throw me away any time". Typically this is expected to last until you close the tab, but modern browsers are more likely to aggressively clean out cookies (especially mobile, but not limited to mobile).

When you check the checkbox, the cookie says "keep me around until I explicitly log out or tell you to clear cookies".

Try checking "stay logged in" and just use the log out button when you're done. Or maybe a private browser window which will definitely delete any cookies, if you don't mind not logging the history of threads you've visited.
Thank you for the information. I hadn't had the problem since I joined but something changed when I reported the problem.

I noticed another forum I visit defaults to a 60 minute session. I don't want to stay logged in to any forum. Thanks for the suggestions to work around my problem.

Back
Top Bottom