LOORS in Lake Elsinore WOW!!!!

DUN24

Skeptical of the Spectacle
Got home a bit ago and OH MY GOD!

I am a big fan of Lucas Oil Off-road racing and watch a lot of events on tv, tonight was insane.. 5 races, insane battles throughout. Brian Deegan won pro 2, Bradley Morris won pro lite, Kyle Leduc won pro 4... Best short course trophy truck racing I've ever seen.

There were 3 or 4 big crashes.. (RF haters will love this)Travis Pastrana barrell-rolled right off the first jump on the first lap right in front of me.. He was helped into an ambulance, hopefully he isn't too banged up.

Tonight was also the most scared I've ever been watching any sporting event live... Eric Barron was battling hard in the pro 4 main event, made contact mid air, climbed the front stretch wall, the nose dug in to the dirt and he violently started a roll. He rolled into the lip of a table top really hard and it bounced him into a couple more rolls. Landed on his wheels and the truck immediately burst into flames.

Here's my issue and what made it the most scary. The safety crew had 5 badass, brand new, fully-loaded Toyota Tundra's, they saw it burst into flames.. They all slowly cruised to the scene, lazily walked to the truck, and when they got there half of the fire extinguishers they had didn't work for ****. I thought I was watching him burn to death. Finally, after about 20 seconds, the PA announcer said he was pulled from the truck. They finally got the fire contained after about a minute. Eric was put on a backboard and loaded in an ambulance. It was a very violent crash and he had to get out hastily. I don't know how he's doing... I'll try and update the thread accordingly. Keep Eric Barron in your thoughts though.. He was concious and alert as far as I know.

The safety crew was a joke all night.. Really bad with the local yellow flag waving.. At one point there were safety trucks on the track and the track Marshall let the top three trucks fly by before waving the local yellow, the drivers in the class that was running didn't have radios.. The safety crew for this series has to seriously get their act together.

To leave on a positive not though.. The racing was great and if you're in the area tomorrow night, they'll be racing again.

If you'd like to catch the racing on tv it'll be shown:
Saturday, April 26th 1:00 pm et on CBS
Sunday, April 27th 8:00 pm et on CBSSN
Sunday, May 4th 8:00 pm et

I have thought the same thing too. Until one of those trucks climbs the Jersey wall with the throttle stuck and goes into the crowd, they probably won't do much I am afraid.

Heard all drivers will be alright.
image.jpg
image.jpg

This toyota was absolutely screaming btw! The engine sounded different than anything else on the track.

Also, the tv schedule I posted is wrong. The races from two weeks ago are on CBS right now..

Last edited:
Worth noting: Driver of the truck on fire suffered only a broken pinky, raced in a borrowed truck the next night.

Haven't heard anything on possible injuries to Pastrana. I watched him gingerly walk off the track to an ambulance with help from two officials. Him and his truck were too banged up to race last night.

Just a few thoughts. The Safety teams are not permitted to self dispatch to any incident on track. The are directed by race control in the tower. It does no good for them to blindly pull onto a track full of truck coming at them at over a 100 mph. Also keep in mind that the Safety crews have only seconds to react, plan and execute a rescue. Most of the safety crews are professional Firefighters and provide race coverage on their days off. Ask any driver, including Corry Weller ( who raced with 2 bruised lungs) Eric Barron ( who escaped this wreck with a broken pinky) and Travis Pastrana ( who broke his ankle) how they feel about the actions and timing of the Safety team. And until you are ready to don a fire resistant suit, with no respiratory protection and jump into a flaming vehicle surrounded by race trucks to save a driver. Maybe you should learn a little bit about the subject.

Just a few thoughts. The Safety teams are not permitted to self dispatch to any incident on track. The are directed by race control in the tower. It does no good for them to blindly pull onto a track full of truck coming at them at over a 100 mph. Also keep in mind that the Safety crews have only seconds to react, plan and execute a rescue. Most of the safety crews are professional Firefighters and provide race coverage on their days off. Ask any driver, including Corry Weller ( who raced with 2 bruised lungs) Eric Barron ( who escaped this wreck with a broken pinky) and Travis Pastrana ( who broke his ankle) how they feel about the actions and timing of the Safety team. And until you are ready to don a fire resistant suit, with no respiratory protection and jump into a flaming vehicle surrounded by race trucks to save a driver. Maybe you should learn a little bit about the subject.

I understand why they wouldn't be real excited about jumping into fire, but they signed up for it. No disrespect to track marshals, especially straight up firefighters but as a spectator watching, They approached lackadaisically and half the equipment didn't work when they got there... Not saying they could have contained the fuel and fiberglass burning real fast anyway though.. But they needed to get there quicker, it was legitimately slow. I was only a 10 truck field. As soon as the crash happened the field stopped. Track workers pulled up to the seen at about 10-15 mph and pretty slowly got out to help. Except for one guy that ran in to help pull him out.

As far as learning about the subject, I've watched a lot of racing, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that fire is hot and marshals don't have a lot of protection, this crash rescue was awkward and slow. I realize that certain situations are a bit extraordinary, but these guys signed up for it!

Were you there? Were you one of the track marshals?

Thanks for the update on TP. Hadn't heard anything. And welcome to the forums. Thanks for reading my post. No one else here gives a **** about off-road racing. lol

Footage is up. Scary crash. Glad he was ok.

Back
Top Bottom