Maiden flight

Whizzer

Gig'em
As some might know, I started flying radio controlled airplanes just a year ago this month. My first plane was an Apprentice 15E, and before I could fly at the Venice RC Fliers field, was required to be under the direct supervision of an instructor who held a "buddy box". A "buddy box" is a separate transmitter connected to the transmitter used by the pilot and was pressed into service when or if a potential uncorrectable error might occur as is commonplace with new pilots.

I soloed the end of September using the same plane I had been using since late June of last year when I bought a Carbon Z Cub. The Carbon Z Cub has a wingspan of 84 inches and is a gentle flier that permits mistakes and allows time for correction. That is unless you do something really dumb and the plane has more than a few dings and rashes as reminders of my skills.

My fascination has always been WWII scale model planes and a recent purchase of an e-Flite, PT-17, Stearman bi-plane and a Dynam J-3 Navy Cub are my foray into WWII aircraft.

Today, was the maiden flight of the PT-17 Stearman, a trainer plane for potential pilots who later went on to fly fighters. Bi-plane models are notorious for being twitchy and quick to maneuver, a major difference from the way the Carbon Z Cub performs. The PT-17 has a wingspan of 44 inches making it more difficult to fly. I was nervous about the maiden flight and despite winds of eight to ten m.p.h., decided to give it a go. There were several railbirds watching and enjoying the sport of ragging on the pilot preparing for a maiden, offering words of encouragement such as, "any landing in one piece is a good landing", which did little to nothing to boost my confidence level. Fortunately, takeoff was okay, everything was good, the flight a little ragged but nothing to be worried about until setting up to land as the wind was not letting the plane descend so the first attempt ended in a go-round and with power on, make a second effort. Had to land this time out of concern the battery might run down and require a dead stick landing. Not something I was looking forward to as the way to end the maiden flight. Luckily, the second attempt got the plane lined up with the runway and a landing completed, followed with a ground loop, but no damage, no harm, no foul. A success by some standards but it would be a low bar. ;)

IMG_2350.jpg

That's cool man. I need to get into this hobby.

It is a lot of fun but definitely not as easy as it looks. Be prepared to crash a plane or two in the learning process. The best way to get started is find a club near you and there is a good chance they will have a trainer plane for you and someone to act as your instructor. The hardest thing to learn are the controls but once you do, things become a whole lot easier.
From the time I started until getting use to the controls it was like day and night.
If you want to see some amazing flying, go to this website. The airfield is the one I fly out of. The pilots are world champion rc pilots and they own Flex Innovations.

Back
Top Bottom