Man or machine?

I remember a lot of people around here and the comments they made last summer when this horse got out of the barn. Mean comments too. About how Sadler would flop and humiliate RYR. About what a loser he is. About how Rudd would be better in Sadler's car than Sadler would be in a RYR car.

Anyone else remember all that?

I sure do.

Crow, anyone?

To answer, it's a combination. He is in a better car then he has ever had. E-Sad is also quite capable of driving one of them things, as I think we saw Sunday. He is also teamed with one of the best mentors he could ever hope for. DJ will teach him a lot about closing the deal, saving a good car until you need it, and making the best out of the bad days. DJ, Bill Elliott, Martin, and Terry Labonte are like that. They'll tell you how to become the best.

Originally posted by paul@Feb 25 2003, 09:00 AM
Terry Labonte is still racing? Man, I haven't seen in him years.
Well, I had to name someone in a bowtie, else there would have been no end to the whining. ;)

Since for some reason NOL chose Sadler as the subject, the question is pretty mute at this point.

There is nothing to indicate that Sadler's run is any stronger at this point of the season than his start last season. Actually he is two positions worse in the standings this year. Remember he finished second at Daytona last year. This year was more or less a non-factor.

So, again since NOL chooses to present the issue this way, if we look at Rockingham there is still no basis for comparison. Early trouble was overcome by the team and a decent finish resulted. I know of nothing that would have prevented the team from doing the same thing last year.

On a more general approach to the question, it remains unasnswerable. The driver, crew, and the machine cannot be separated. I do not understand why so many insist on continually trying to separate them.

I suppose one could say the machine is responsible for nothing. If a driver or crew has success with a great car, the great car exists only because man made it that way.

He don't strike me as the "take you under my wing and show you the ropes, kid" type.

Sorry about the strike thing....couldn't stop myself. :p

What about Jeff Gordon? He's showing that Jimmie Johnson the ropes. :D

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Feb 25 2003, 09:06 AM
The driver, crew, and the machine cannot be separated. I do not understand why so many insist on continually trying to separate them.
Ditto.

I remember Tony Stewart saying, "Zip wins these races, not me. You could plug anyone into one of Zip's cars and they're gonna win".

Back
Top Bottom