Manufacturers Madness at Dega

H

HardScrabble

The Winston Cup circuit has made 66 stops at Talledega beginning way back in 1969, well way back to some anyways. Many changes have been wrought on the cars which compete here, but ignoring that how do the manufacturers play out by the numbers?

Well the fastest car is the Ford, not even close on that one.

The fastest doesn't always so how do wins stack up?

Chevy has won 23 times to lead the bunch, Ford is second with 16 wins. Mercury was dominant at one time and follows with 7 wins. Once superspeedway powerhouses Olds and Buick are next with 6 wins each. Plymouth and Mopar brother Dodge have won 3 times each. GM's forgotten stepchild Pontiac has won 2 races here.

We all know the Mopar guys went home for quite while, the last Mopar product to visit Victory Lane at Talledega was Dodge which won both the pole and the race back in 1976, piloted by Ol Wingtips himself, Dave Marcis.

Pontiacs last win was in 1998 by Bobby Labonte and Fords came in the fall race that year when DJ took the checkers.

And if you're paying attention, that means that Chevies have led the way for 7 consecutive races going back to the first Talledega race of 1999. And if you're really paying attention it will occur to you that someone named Earnhardt won 5 of those 7 races.

Me. I'm betting a Dodge wins this weekend, after all the points race would be best served if Marlin comes home the Victor.

I'm a big Ford fan, even though most of the drivers I like don't drive Fords...uhm...... Fords VS Fav. drivers.

Originally posted by paul
Dodge doesn't stand a chance.

They got the royal shaft.

How did Dodge get the shaft? RCR whine again to NASCAR? Or was it DEI this time? Poor Dodge drivers (and the drivers of Fords too)........NASCAR want's one of the Chevy pilots to win again!!:D

Now there's the Dave Marcis that I miss the most! Great Pic!!

Kel

Chevy has come out with the win for these past handful of plate races mostly b/c of teamwork. Fords, Dodges, and Pontiacs have been very close to breaking that streak, and you could very well see a change this weekend.

Of course, I hope not, since I'm pulling for Michael Waltrip.

That is a good one ain't it? Notice the dirt on the knees? It was a whole different day back then.

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
How did Dodge get the shaft?  RCR whine again to NASCAR?  Or was it DEI this time?  Poor Dodge drivers (and the drivers of Fords too)........NASCAR  want's one of the Chevy pilots to win again!!:D

I wish I lived in your world. The world restrictor plate racing takes tons of skill and NASCAR doesn't play with the rules.

NASCAR made a rule change that affected Dodge's chance at winning, in the middle of a Dodge's run for the Cup. If you can see past the "OMG! Someone is trying to talk about a conspiracy" and see that Dodge took a huge kick in the groin with that rule change you'll see that no one is attacking your precious Jr.

My turn now Paul? Who mentioned Jr?:)

I actually want Tony to win Dega........but seems you want to say I'm doing the pom pom thing. I was just joking. And I really don't buy into any conspiracy thing........why I was teasing you about RCR and DEI. I am about the only one on this forum that really and truly believes NASCAR is neutral.

My turn now Paul?  Who mentioned Jr?:)  

My mistake, I thought Jr drove for DEI.

I actually want Tony to win Dega........but seems you want to say I'm doing the pom pom thing.  

Because you somehow managed to bring DEI and RCR into a conversation about the Dodge situation.

I was just joking.  And I really don't buy into any conspiracy thing........why I was teasing you about RCR and DEI.  I am about the only one on this forum that really and truly believes NASCAR is neutral.

:) Which is why I wish I lived in your world.

It's easy Paul.........just don't take things so seriously!!

You want serious? Iraq is serious.........Al Qaeda........North Korea..........Iran.........Isreal!! That is serious. NASCAR is a sport........it's fun, it's intertainment, it's meant to enjoy!

I think you know me a little better than that. RCR and DEI were mentioned in my post just to get a reaction from you........didn't think you would take it so serious......lighten up Paul!!:(

Gimmie a break, "lighten up" coming from you is just far too much. ;)

It's racing, and this is a discussion board for it.

It's dinner time here on the west coast.....I'll get back in a few minutes.

I take huge offense to the fact that you bring drugs into this fergy. I demand an apology.

Guess it's no fun with Paul tonight.

I see a little left over anger from something I had a part in from a couple weeks ago. Thought we were mature adults discussing NASCAR racing on this board.

This thread started with manufacturers, moved to Jr, now about drugs? Pretty strange in opinion.......could be me I guess.

Have a nice evening Paul.

Sterling Marlin was on his way to his first Cup till nascar once again toyed with rules. Untill nascar sets the rules at the satrt of the season AND LEAVES THEM THE HECK ALONE, the Cup will in my opinion be tainted.

No more rule tweaks, no more mystery yellows, and no more red flag finishes. If ya want a show, try Broadway.

DE, well you achieved your goal because you got a reaction out of Paul :)

Back
Top Bottom