Marco getting agressive........

JW1

Team Owner
He got penalized for ignoring the blue flags on Saturday. Then yesterday he got a little aggressive (just a bit) with Justin Wilson. Then at the end of the race it looked like everyone really pushed him around when they passed him. Any thoughts?

He's always driven like this. He was penalized for blocking for RHR at Fontana during his (RHR's) championship run in 2012.

I only caught the end of the second race and the late restart everyone was trying to get what they could. Street courses are hard to pass. I noticed Montoya made a pretty good pass and got passed back the next lap; I don't know who passed him back, the usual suspects weren't up front and I don't know all the drivers.

it didn't look like much, but the result put Wilson head first in the tires. I think it was a fair penalty and a small fine. There weren't many places to pass, but you can't end somebodies day trying to. Helio missed his calling. he should have been a liar lawyer. How he came up with his story about having "rights to the road because he was attacking", while taking Bourdais's front wing off?

Maybe Marco's thinking that he's been in this league now for nearly a decade & he has done nothing so far as compared to everything his father & grandfather accomplished in open wheel racing. I for one am a little dissappointed...

I think Marco is a tier 1.5 driver. He has shown signs of being a top tier driver but he hasn't put it all together. (I consider a top tier driver as one who can win any given race). At Pocano he showed a great start but faded quickly. It is natural to compare him to his father and grandfather but that is the burden of a last name; like other next gen drivers he should be compared to his piers.

I think Marco is a tier 1.5 driver. He has shown signs of being a top tier driver but he hasn't put it all together. (I consider a top tier driver as one who can win any given race). At Pocano he showed a great start but faded quickly. It is natural to compare him to his father and grandfather but that is the burden of a last name; like other next gen drivers he should be compared to his piers.

add to that a pit row speeding penalty at Pocono

Marco is 27 years, 3 months and 23 days old. He has 2 wins in IndyCar.
By the time Michael was that age, he had 9 CART wins.
By the time Mario was that age, he had 10 USAC Champ Car wins, 2 USAC Champ Car Championships, a Daytona 500 win and a 12 Hours of Sebring win.

Marco is 27 years, 3 months and 23 days old. He has 2 wins in IndyCar.
By the time Michael was that age, he had 9 CART wins.
By the time Mario was that age, he had 10 USAC Champ Car wins, 2 USAC Champ Car Championships, a Daytona 500 win and a 12 Hours of Sebring win.

ouch! something else that some might say is relative. USAC was where it was at, really tough competition. Marco running in CART had a whole lot less caliber of driver to compete with. We probably don't even want to go there with the Rahal's. :)

Last edited:
We probably don't even want to go there with the Rahal's. :)

LOL no, we don't. But Bobby has always made Graham find his own way and wouldn't hire him as a driver until he brought his own sponsor to the team. Michael has given Marco a silver spoon and owned his cars at every level. So, I give Graham extra points for that. :)

Yeah Little Al had a lot of good years from like 1988 to 1995. I never liked him. He always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

Well I'll say this. Marco has some crappy luck and its unfortunate that guys like Marco and Graham are getting such flack because of their last names. Both are very good drivers, hell Marco was my favorite to win at Texas. Honestly, he could have won on a couple of occasions, it seems like something always happens. I can understand the frustration because as a driver, he has grown so much. Remember how bad he was on road courses? Look at him now competing in the top 10 to 5 all the time. He wants to win, RHR is his teammate and dude it a champion. Marco is frustrated because every week he has a good car something happens.

I really like the Andrettis. Especially Mario. He is so nice to people. He signs autographs at all of the Indycar races and he is such a gentleman. In my avatar is a picture of my son and Mario at the Mid Ohio Race last year. I always talk to him and get his autograph every year at all of the races I attend. Ist Class!! I hope Marco wins more in the future. He is a really good driver with a little bad luck. But he'll be OK.

Back
Top Bottom