Mark Martin's son to Hendrick

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I wonder what this is about. I hadn't heard/read anything about this before. Do you think it's for driver development?

From Jayski.....

#5-Mark Martin's 19-year-old son Matt has moved to North Carolina from the family's home in Florida and begun an internship at Hendrick Motorsports. He'll work with the organization's strength and conditioning coach.

I wonder what this is about. I hadn't heard/read anything about this before. Do you think it's for driver development?

From Jayski.....
last i heard mark's main reason for retiring was to spend more time with his family and help matt's racing career. mark's return to full time racing was because matt had given up racing. nothing surprises me where mark (and now his family) is concerned. sorta like my own family. <g>

Matt was adorable as a tyke. It's hard to believe that he's 19 already! :eek:

Matt's 19???? I thought he was at least 2 years younger then me. I also thought he quit racing.

He did quit racing, that is why Mark came out of retirement so many times. I think he is training for either a pit crew position or some type of crew member, don't think he driving, but I could be mistaken

As much of a fitness freak as Mark is, it's surprising that he'd let his own boy get out of shape.

What could of been???.....was thinking about this kid for some random reason and I stumbled on this thread from google.

If hes 19 & quit racing I'd assume he's in school athletics. Just excelling his conditioning with some of the best in the business.

If MMs son starts to drive....

He did... He raced bandaleros and stuff when he was a kid. He had big time sponsorship from Gatorade and others IIRC. I believe he quit because he wanted to play ball sports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Martin_(racing_driver)

During a March 8, 2008 airing of Speed Channel's Trackside, Mark announced that Matt ended his racing career. Mark stated his son wanted to concentrate on his education but didn't rule out a possible return to racing;[5] later that year Matt Martin stated that racing was "not my thing [anymore]".
^the above quote snip from the posted link.

I congratulate Matt for being true to his heart and self. It has to be a tough lot to try to be what others expect you to be. Rejecting that lot is not necessarily a failure, in fact I think it is most likely a postiive.

Racing ain't easy. It is an insanely crazy strung out passionate world. Those that are not totally consumed with the desire will suffer the consequences of being in a place they shouldn't be. It would also unfair to the a large group of people dedicated to one's sucess. It is his buisness but I hope he found whatever it is that he wants to do, and that he is successful.

Sometimes people only see sucess in the most obvious or tangible way, like this kid just had to be a great driver one day, and at least try. Or that somewere along the way something failed with a kid like him. I think that kind of thinking is a disservice to a youngster, we are all individuals and wired a little differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Martin_(racing_driver)

During a March 8, 2008 airing of Speed Channel's Trackside, Mark announced that Matt ended his racing career. Mark stated his son wanted to concentrate on his education but didn't rule out a possible return to racing;[5] later that year Matt Martin stated that racing was "not my thing [anymore]".
^the above quote snip from the posted link.

I congratulate Matt for being true to his heart and self. It has to be a tough lot to try to be what others expect you to be. Rejecting that lot is not necessarily a failure, in fact I think it is most likely a postiive.

Racing ain't easy. It is an insanely crazy strung out passionate world. Those that are not totally consumed with the desire will suffer the consequences of being in a place they shouldn't be. It would also unfair to the a large group of people dedicated to one's sucess. It is his buisness but I hope he found whatever it is that he wants to do, and that he is successful.

Sometimes people only see sucess in the most obvious or tangible way, like this kid just had to be a great driver one day, and at least try. Or that somewere along the way something failed with a kid like him. I think that kind of thinking is a disservice to a youngster, we are all individuals and wired a little differently.

When I was younger, I knew a kid who raced karts all over the country. Dad probably spent several hundred thousand dollars a year to keep them going. He simply got burned out on it and wanted to do other stuff so they quit.

Young me was like "dude what the hell is this kids problem". Then I realized that if he wanted to move on and not race anymore, it's a totally respectable decision. Just because sacrifices have been made for you to chase this dream, if you aren't feeling it, you shouldn't be forced to take part.

This same story is repeated in car and motorcycle racing all the time. Young kids forced to compete at a high level with tons of practice and travel, by the time they are about to go pro, they are totally turned off by the lifestyle.. Sad really.

From Jayski.....

It isn't April 1st yet is it? Where is this on Jayski? Matt is 26 now and I haven't heard or saw him in a race car for years.

Back
Top Bottom