#89-Morgan Shepherd.......227......51st
#07-Ted Musgrave.............182......55th
#51-Brian Rose..................174......56th
#27-Kirk Shelmerdine.........161......58th
#59-Carl Long......................38......70th....not listed but may show
#11-.Brett Bodine.............no provs
#23-Kenny Wallace..........no provs...G. Bodine to try to qualify
#80-Ryan McGlynn...........no points

My best guess......Hermie and Hideo are in there. The bubble belongs to Morgan with Ted being the spoiler. The 49 planned on being there but is not listed. If it shows, put Hideo on the bubble.

I sure would like to see Carl Long make a race before the season is over. That is if he tries to make any more of them.

Carl has made a few races this year I'm pretty sure. But yea, I'm a big Carl Long fan.

Don't know if he can race worth a dern but the dude's got heart. I mean week after week after week he shows up and gives it all he's got. That's dedication to a dream.

Yea, I've turned into quite the Carl Long fan myself. I'm always pulling for him to make a race. I thought he had made some races this year too but when you look at the driver standings on NASCAR.com it shows him as being in 1 race but earning 0 points and $86,413. What's up with that?

Jayski's shows the car with 38 points which all might have come from qualifying attempts, so maybe he hasn't made any races this year....musta been last year....anyways....from jays on owner points for the guys who miss the race after making an attempt.....

"Points are awarded as follows: fastest who fails to qualify gets 31 points, then it goes in order: 28,25,22,19,16,13,10,7,4,1 - all remaining car owners get 1 point for the team race attempt."

I also have been rooting for Carl. Seems like a great guy who just needs a decent car under him.

Carl has made one points race this season, the first race at Pocono. Started 42nd on a provisonal just ahead of Frank Kimmel. There were no DNQ's if I recall.

Ran 18 laps and retired with brake problems to finish 42nd earinign him 37 points and $34,875.

Carl also competed in the Winston Open (or whatever they call it now) this spring. Started 20th and finished 22nd. No points were awarded but he earned $31,328 for his effort.

I think the total number of points race attempts for Carl this season is 12.

The reason Carl Long has a race but no points, is because he entered after the initial entry deadline. It's one of those NASCAR rules that if you enter after the first deadline you can race, but you won't get any points. He entered the first Pocono race cause they were short of drivers to fill the 43 car field.

Carl lives just up the road (Roxboro,NC) from me. The team he was driving for is based just down the road from me (Durham, NC) Back in the early '90s I use to rce RC cars with him at his dad's shop in Roxboro. I beat him all the time. He was nracing Mini-stock at Orange Co. Speedway back then.

Carl lives just up the road (Roxboro,NC) from me. The team he was driving for is based just down the road from me (Durham, NC

Darn Tiny this mean you live in the middle of the road.:p

Wow, Ryan McGlynn is giving the Cup series a go. He's been running a low-funded truck in the Craftsman truck series for the past... four or five years... and he currently works at Pocono driving people around the track for the Pocono Driving Experience.

He'll miss the race, I'm sure, but it's a way to keep his name out there if he attempts to qualify. And if you attempt enough races, you might actually make one, just ask Morgan Shepherd.

hey, Morgan has a real shot this week. All depends on if the 49 shows up, and even if it does, ya got the 23 and 11 in go fast or go home mode.

Martinsville is one of those anything can happen tracks where it's probably only going to be 4 to 6/10ths top to bottom.

I am not certain but I'm thinking that Carl did make a race early on in the 85 car that he has tried to compete in for the past 3 or 4 seasons. This year about 1/3 thru he signed with Rick Ware racing in the 51, by doing so he gave up previously earned owners points and has only gained points since then by attempting to gualify. The mistake here was that both parties should have thought ahead and made a deal for co-ownership of the Long team and car number, they would have then been able to use previously earned owners points and may have been able to get into at least the first of the attempted races with that new team. There may have been more to the story than that but I was surprised to read that the 85 team was dissolved.

Kel

Like RPM, I would like to see McGlynn get in, but on a short track it is hard. Same with Hideo I would like to see him but I don't know. It's going to be tough on a short track. I just hope they qualify this week and don't line up by points.

I just think that if Hideo gets in, he won't last long. Neither will all of the other cars that can't afford the top quality brakes or whatever. The faster cars will be running over them like crazy like they always do. It would be really nice for a low-budget team to get a really good finish but to me it just doesn't seem realistic.

I think a couple of the Cup regulars should take a week off so the herd of turtles can have a shot this weekend. We've got, what, 8 turtles this week? Just have the top-8 in points sit out this week and let's see what happens.

That's a good idea. Why not, this championship race is close as it is, doing that would only make it even closer.

Yeah, that would tighten the points chase a bit. Except for the fact all the rookies would probably take out the field, so there wouldn't be that much to gain.

36 -#33 Kenny Wallace - car won in 2001
37. #25 Joe Nemechek...............31 qualifying attempts
38. #14 Mike Wallace.................31 qualifying attempts
39. #7 Casey Atwood.................31 qualifying attempts
40. #44 Jerry Nadeau.................31 qualifying attempts
41. #11 Brett Bodine..................31 qualifying attempts
42. #51 Brian Rose.......................7 qualifying attempts
43. #89-Morgan Shepherd...........6 qualifying attempts

Would miss the race:
#66-Hideo Nomo....................5 qualifying attempts
#27-Kirk Shelmerdine.............5 qualifying attempts
#07-Ted Musgrave.................2 qualifying attempts
#59-Carl Long........................2 qualifying attempts
#80-Ryan McGlynn................0 qualifying attempts

anyways, that's the way I got it figured at the back of the pack.....but you know me, I've been wrong before and if it boils down to happy or right, I'm stickin with happy every day of the week

ooops....me bad....had the 33 and 23 mixed up....

If it rains........
36 -#23 Kenny Wallace .............31 qualifying attempts
37. #25 Joe Nemechek...............31 qualifying attempts
38. #14 Mike Wallace.................31 qualifying attempts
39. #7 Casey Atwood.................31 qualifying attempts
40. #44 Jerry Nadeau.................31 qualifying attempts
41. #11 Brett Bodine..................31 qualifying attempts
42. #51 Brian Rose.......................7 qualifying attempts
43. #89-Morgan Shepherd...........6 qualifying attempts

Would miss the race:
#66-Hideo Nomo....................5 qualifying attempts
#27-Kirk Shelmerdine.............5 qualifying attempts
#07-Ted Musgrave.................2 qualifying attempts
#59-Carl Long........................2 qualifying attempts
#80-Ryan McGlynn................0 qualifying attempts

Forecast (weather variety) looks fine for qualifying, not so hot for raceday. Sunny on Friday but 70% chance of rain on Sunday.

I hope Morgan Shepard can make it. I like him and like his sponsor.:D

I would like to see Rose make it as well. Even though he got booted from his truck ride, I would like to see the guy have some good luck.

Brian Rose got booted from the Truck series b/c he couldn't keep the truck out of the wall. Now he could make his first Cup start. All I have to say is Watch out Cuppers!

So Brian Rose is just like Shane Hmiel? Why do they always use drivers that could be a wrecking hazard to fill in? Isn't there anyone else better out there?

The way parity has priced the little guy and innovation out of the winners circle, nascar is lucky they even get these backmarkers to show up at all.

I agree with you, 71fan. I always pull for the underdogs (turtles) to get in the race. I give them a lot of credit for doing what they are trying to do.

Ted's in, Morgan's out depending on the 23.

Carl, Ryan, and Kirk are goners.

Hermie Sadler's in...5th out of 36 cars in qualifying so far.

Add Brian Rose to the go home list.....

So who's next? Morgan or Kenny? Have I got the call on the back of the pack or what?

I figured Hermie was in on prov anyways, but it sure was a great run.

Guess Kenny didn't make it past inspection or crashed or something.

Morgan gets the last spot

OOOOPS I forgot.....Kenny wasn't even there. Guess Geoff decided he had a better shot in his own car.

Still, Morgan gets the last spot

Nope.....I forgot....the 23 won a race last year....Back Row Joe is still Back Row Joe.

Funny is that the racingone qualifying has Geoff in the 09 car

what race did the 23/93 win last year?

Did not Qualify
44 #151 Brian Rose Dodge Ware Racing Enterprises 90.938 20.823 -0.426
45 #259 Carl Long* Dodge Check Into Cash 90.516 20.920 -0.523
46 #189 Morgan Shepherd Ford Racing With Jesus 90.287 20.973 -0.576
47 #280 Ryan McGlynn Chevrolet Buyers Choice Auto Warranties 88.747 21.337 -0.940
48 #127 Kirk Shelmerdine Ford TBA 88.309 21.443 -1.046

I know what it is.....cause it is NOT a last year winner thing....they switched numbers on the 09 and the 23.....

Can they do that?

I've never heard of that being done before

grrrrrrr......I hate it when I don't read the fine print......this from Jayski;s prov explantion page on why the 23 is in the show.

"So if a team is out of provisionals going into the 8th race and they make a qualifying run, they earn a provisional and can use it in that race if their speed does not get them into the field."

Back
Top Bottom