Martinsville RACE thread

I hope Nascar takes notice as although I personally enjoy some of the 1.5's, a couple of more short tracks may be in order :)

They know. About a decade ago Nascar/ISC were trying to build a track in New York that would be 3/4 mile. Two decades ago with Riverside closing Nascar/ISC wanted to build a 3/4-1 mile in San Jose at the County Fairgrounds.

They know. About a decade ago Nascar/ISC were trying to build a track in New York that would be 3/4 mile. Two decades ago with Riverside closing Nascar/ISC wanted to build a 3/4-1 mile in San Jose at the County Fairgrounds.

nascar picked the wrong side of Staten Island. Why don't they build a track in mid New Jersey?

Great day and great race, weather perfect. Was good to see Smoke running up front strong. Jr nation really can drown out the track noise and yep the stands move with them.
The only bozo I saw all day, was the drunk climbing the fence in 1 and 2 after the race. I believe his rant as he got hauled away to the county hotel was, "Richmond" "Richmond" "Richmond"

bless his heart

As has been the theme for just about the entire chase, TV ratings for Martinsville were down vs. 2013, but not as steep a year-over-year dip as we've seen in other chase races. Rating down from 2.7 last year to 2.5 this year, viewership down from 4.316 million viewers last year to 4.083 million viewers this year.

As has been the theme for just about the entire chase, TV ratings for Martinsville were down vs. 2013, but not as steep a year-over-year dip as we've seen in other chase races. Rating down from 2.7 last year to 2.5 this year, viewership down from 4.316 million viewers last year to 4.083 million viewers this year.

Pretty steady... 5 yr average is 4.178

Jeff Gordon @JeffGordonWeb
Saddened to learn of the passing of my driver's ed teacher Larry Sparks who was traveling home from @MartinsvilleSwy

Jeff Gordon @JeffGordonWeb
Larry Sparks was my driver's ed teacher but also 1 of my biggest fans. He'll be dearly missed. http://jeffgordon.com/?p=3778

B1Cu1yKIQAAzWdI.jpg:small

B1Cu1xhIQAAta_d.jpg:small

B1Cu1yjIQAE-RHU.jpg

Martinsville TV Ratings: ESPN's live telecast of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway on Sunday, Oct. 27, earned a 2.7 U.S. household rating, averaging 4,315,850 viewers, according to Nielsen Media.:idunno:

Martinsville TV Ratings: ESPN's live telecast of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway on Sunday, Oct. 27, earned a 2.7 U.S. household rating, averaging 4,315,850 viewers, according to Nielsen Media.:idunno:
Those look like last year's numbers even though they have the date correct. IDK though. The numbers were also announced on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio this morning. They matched what jayski had reported too. Whatever the case 4+ million are still tuning in each week.

Just got off the phone from ordering four tickets for next springs race @ Martinsville. I wasn't sure until today that there were four of us going and had to wait to order. The lady that I talked to said that they are really selling a lot of tickets for the spring race. Most people indicating that the Jr. win was the reason.

Martinsville: The good; great track, great food, great racing, super fans.

The bad: No lights, need a night race.

Just got off the phone from ordering four tickets for next springs race @ Martinsville. I wasn't sure until today that there were four of us going and had to wait to order. The lady that I talked to said that they are really selling a lot of tickets for the spring race. Most people indicating that the Jr. win was the reason.

I know you drive a camper over there so what day do you usually get to the track? Do you attend the truck race too?

I know you drive a camper over there so what day do you usually get to the track? Do you attend the truck race too?
Martinsville is one of the few tracks that we go to that we don't camp at. We stay at a government campground @ Philpott Lake NW of Martinsville. Normally we get down there the weekend before the Martinsville race and there are already people setting up their RV's at the track campground, taking the best spots. There are still plenty of camping spots if you arrive mid to late week leading up to the race at the track and all around the area. Just south of the track on 220 are several locations that are on paved, level areas that you can camp. All of this is dry camping, meaning that you need to be self contained, no electric, water or sewage. They do have tankers driver through the campgrounds that will fill your water and others that will empty your black tanks for a pretty reasonable fee.

We play the truck race by ear. If they are calling for rain we don't bother. If not, we just buy our truck tickets on race day. There are plenty of great seat locations @ Martinsville for the race. We've sat all around that facility over the years. I think the best view is from the South Terrace closer to the turn #1 side. From that location you can see most all of the pits and the pit exit. You can't do that from anywhere else around that track. There are a lot of cautions at that track and many of the battles are on pit road that will determine the winner. Also, from either end's seating the entire track is in view at all times. Sitting above the start/finish line is like watching a tennis match looking at one end and then to the other. It's much easier to miss the action from there. Seating in the South Terrace, section #201 are our seating locations for both the spring/fall races. All the cool people sit there. :D

Martinsville seating chart link.

Martinsville is one of the few tracks that we go to that we don't camp at. We stay at a government campground @ Philpott Lake NW of Martinsville. Normally we get down there the weekend before the Martinsville race and there are already people setting up their RV's at the track campground, taking the best spots. There are still plenty of camping spots if you arrive mid to late week leading up to the race at the track and all around the area. Just south of the track on 220 are several locations that are on paved, level areas that you can camp. All of this is dry camping, meaning that you need to be self contained, no electric, water or sewage. They do have tankers driver through the campgrounds that will fill your water and others that will empty your black tanks for a pretty reasonable fee.

We play the truck race by ear. If they are calling for rain we don't bother. If not, we just buy our truck tickets on race day. There are plenty of great seat locations @ Martinsville for the race. We've sat all around that facility over the years. I think the best view is from the South Terrace closer to the turn #1 side. From that location you can see most all of the pits and the pit exit. You can't do that from anywhere else around that track. There are a lot of cautions at that track and many of the battles are on pit road that will determine the winner. Also, from either end's seating the entire track is in view at all times. Sitting above the start/finish line is like watching a tennis match looking at one end and then to the other. It's much easier to miss the action from there. Seating in the South Terrace, section #201 are our seating locations for both the spring/fall races. All the cool people sit there. :D

Martinsville seating chart link.

Been thinking of going to the spring race there. I've always sat in turn one at M'ville for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I always try to sit in the turns at a track that doesn't have a dog-leg in the straight, like Dover. You can see more of the track better from the turns than in the straights when there is no dog-leg.
Probably seats in the Sprint Tower near the South Terrace.

Will likely do the motel thingy as the old lady is not a happy camper so to speak. lol
Thinking of a Friday midday arrival and a Monday morning departure.

Been thinking of going to the spring race there. I've always sat in turn one at M'ville for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I always try to sit in the turns at a track that doesn't have a dog-leg in the straight, like Dover. You can see more of the track better from the turns than in the straights when there is no dog-leg.

Will likely do the motel thingy as the old lady is not a happy camper so to speak. lol
Might want to think about putting a rain day in there too. Mother Nature has wreaked havoc on Martinsville on multiple occasions in the past.

Might want to think about putting a rain day in there too. Mother Nature has wreaked havoc on Martinsville on multiple occasions in the past.

Monday is the factored in rain day. I only live about 3.5 hours from there so if they race on Monday I'll go home after the race on Monday afternoon instead of Monday morning.

@FenderBumper sat in that section last fall. He could probably chime in to give you his thoughts on the view from that location.

Monday is the factored in rain day. I only live about 3.5 hours from there so if they race on Monday I'll go home after the race on Monday afternoon instead of Monday morning.
I've got a 9 hour tow from there. I always factor in rain delays.

My turn 1 seats at the top of the lower section for the 2013 fall race were great. Good view of turn 4, SFL, and pit entry, and turn 1 & 2 action is right in front of you. Gotta say, the late model race was amazing, as was the truck race. Both trumped the cup race, IMO.

@mreed My seats were at turn 1 exit, pretty much lined up with the end of the straight. Far right of first section just below Sprint tower wall.

Pretty much right where I want to be. Just below the tower near the top of the grandstand in turn one close to turn two.

Close to turn 2 is good. I just wanted a clear view of the FS and the SFL. Watches the cars brake hard and enter 1 was amazing. Live shows a lot more car wiggle than I see on TV.

Close to turn 2 is good. I just wanted a clear view of the FS and the SFL. Watches the cars brake hard and enter 1 was amazing. Live shows a lot more car wiggle than I see on TV.

Yea, I don't want to be looking straight down the front stretch. I want to have a slight side view of it, so I want to be close to the middle of turn 1 and 2.

Yea, I don't want to be looking straight down the front stretch. I want to have a slight side view of it, so I want to be close to the middle of turn 1 and 2.

Enjoy. There really isn't a bad seat in the place.

Did you use virtual seat view, or whatever it's called?

Back
Top Bottom