Maybe I'm being too picky?

paul

Team Owner
During the race, the guys in the booth were talking about Gordon's tire strategy and were saying which kind he had in the pits waiting for him...then they cut to a camera shot of a stack of tires in Jr's pit and popped up a bunch of Bud logos.

What is going on?!

I didn't catch that one. But sounds like something they would do.

Sponsorship and exposure for them are kinda the lifeblood of more and more sports. Do not know of any major sport where you can escape it. Did not see the one you mention but I do not see many commercials of any kind. Somehow they just seem to tune out.

Was reading this about the NCAA tournament yesterday, not even amateurs are exempt.

NASCAR is not the only sport forced to deal with high dollar contracts from sponsors whose interests overlap. It seems awkward to see a big blue Powerade bottle in Gatorade Victory Lane. It can also get testy when a member of the Coca-Cola Racing Family wins a race sponsored by a Pepsi product.

The NCAA basketball tournament is dealing with similar issues.

Coca-Cola dropped a mere $500 million for an 11-year contract with CBS and the NCAA. But the Pepsi Center is the scene of the East Regional semi-finals and final this weekend. Pepsi gets to keep the name of the stadium at each baseline of the court, but that's it.

In fact, every logo except those on game equipment has to be covered. Except, of course, anything with a Coke brand product.

How ridiculous is it? The 13,000 cup holders in the seats each have to have the Budweiser logo covered.

Also, in the West Regional, Kansas coach Roy Williams was stopped from attending a news conference until he poured his bottle of soda into a cup with an NCAA logo on it. "Do you have any NCAA-approved ice?" he said. "It's amazing, isn't it?"

A similar issue is present at that West Regional, where it's being played at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim. Arrowhead is a bottled water by Nestle. Of course, Dasani is the Coca-Cola brand of water. CBS didn't refer to Arrowhead when saying the stadium name, but the name without the logo was displayed on the basketball court.

But are you seeing some graphic pop up during a basketball game listing the top scorers but failing to tell us it's only the top scorers when they were playing at an arena sponsored by Pepsi or Coke? No.

Paul, you should like this one. In fact I thought of you Sunday when I heard it.

On the radio broadcast Sunday, the PRN broadcasters noted that at virtually every track 50% of the audience are Dale Jr. fans. They said they were amazed at the number of people wearing red Budweiser jackets, t-shirts, hats, etc. Then they proceeded to say that, due to the number of Jr. fans, "it's a good thing for everybody involved when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. wins."

Then Newman won. Now is that a bad thing?

Must be. :)

I remember catching a bunch of flack here last year when I said something like, "Everyone in the stands was cheering during the wreck, those same fans were all cheering when Jr won the race...therefore most Jr fans are crash happy idiots".

People were trying to point out a failure in my logic somewhere, I still don't see it. ;)

Well i didn't see what you're talking about paul.. and i don't see anything wrong with "crash happy idiots" :lol:

Fox are a bunch of whores!!! There I said it! :lol: Whoever gives them the most $$$$ gets the most TV time.

The first race that Fox broadcast...the 2001 Bud Shootout...they blured out the logos on the cars during the broadcast driver introduction unless they were one of the few sponsors that paid them extra advertising money.

Back
Top Bottom