McDonald's signs on as sponsor

• Thread starter Nascar24rainbow
  • Start date
N

Nascar24rainbow

CLEVELAND (AP) -- McDonald's has added CART to its drive-thru menu.

The fast-food giant will sponsor the Newman/Haas car of rookie driver Sebastien Bourdais for three races this season, giving the troubled racing series an image boost as well as some much-needed financial support.

``I think it's very important,'' said Chris Pook, CART's president and chief executive officer. ``For us, it's a ringing endorsement for CART.''

The series has been in a downward spiral since the rival IRL was born in 1996.

In recent years, a succession of presidents and CEOs have tried to turn around embattled Indianapolis-based CART. Sponsors, drivers, teams and manufacturers have left and TV ratings dropped.

McDonald is returning after leaving the series two years ago.

``It is reassuring,'' said driver Paul Tracy, the series points leader. ``This a positive thing. I think the series is getting stronger and it's getting more healthy.

``People are renewing. We have new teams that have come into the series. Only time will tell what will happen, but these are all positive things.''

McDonald's will join Eli Lilly & Co. as primary cosponsors of Bourdais' car for the race Saturday night in Cleveland, and for the events Aug. 31 in Denver and Sept. 28 in Miami.

Pook hopes the sponsorship deal with McDonald's will show other businesses that CART is here to stay.

``We're very happy with what's going on in CART, but we have to keep working hard at it,'' said Pook, who became president and CEO at the end of 2001.

Pook said he has met two of his goals since taking over; stopping CART's slide and getting the series more competitive. His next project is to restructure the company.

Last month, Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc., a publicly traded racing league, announced it would consider selling the company and hired Wall Street investment firm Bear Stearns.

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone and BAR-Honda shareholder Craig Pollock, who also fields F1 cars, have acknowledged an interest in buying CART.

The 62-year-old Pook is under contract through 2004, but hasn't decided if he'll stay longer.

``I would like to see the mission completed,'' he said.

McDonald's has been allied with actor Paul Newman, the racing team's co-owner, since March, when the fast-food chain began carrying his salad dressings.

``It's a perfect blend of methanol, salad and olive oil,'' said Newman, who donates to charity all the profits of his Newman's Own salad dressings.

Its good to see a major sponsor come to CART instead of the IRL or NASCAR but I don't think it will help CART at all.

WEll thats good for the team and for CART! I think thats the biggest company by far in the series! I wondered if McDonalds would get back into racign as a primary any time soon!

Very good news indeed.

mcd.jpg

looks pretty good.

Then Sebastien Bourdais not having a true Mcdonalds in France, tasted it for the first time and was instantally hooked. The result was a new suit and helmet....

1DSC02184-med.jpg

I though they would have a nicer looking car that that! The CARt car from a few years back was really nice! ALl that is , is the same paint scheme just a brighter red and slapped soem McDonald's decals on it!

If Pook wants the series more competitive...why not get rid of those damn manditory pit stops. I hate watching follow the leader for 20 some laps until the pit window opens. They need strategy to have more effect on possition.

I know what CART needs. It needs to be stopped for a full year. Have teams round up sponsership get people to invest in "CART" and that long for teams to develop drivers and their cars. Basically re-wire the system. Pound out new rules and regs. And look at other series and take ideas from them. This hit and miss shi% they keep doing is absurd. In the end CART needs to pull it together or else... I think we all have a little respect for the drivers being able to do what they do in those cars as in any racing series but the company is absolutely stupid and I think Pookface is ruining "America's F1" being CART unless of course they can get a few more F1 races here in the states out of these overseas's meetings(maybe a street course around my neighborhood) ;) then I take back everything I said...lol

Back
Top Bottom