McDowell vs Geoffrey Bodine - which one was worse?

JJ_14

Go Briscoe!
NASCAR has had many bad wrecks in its history. Two that stand out to me are Geoffrey Bodine in 2000 & Michael McDowell in 2008.

I think most people will agree that Bodine's wreck was one of, if not the worst wreck ever. His truck went flying into the catch fence, started tumbling, disintegrated, caught fire & while he was tumbling got hit by another truck. Just an awful wreck.

That being said, I personally think McDowell's wreck was worse. He hit the wall head on at about 170 MPH. His wreck was basically Dale Sr. but 10 times worse. Ten years earlier, I don't know how he survives that. The safer barrier along with the new car & its safety innovations saved his life.

Michael Waltrip at Bristol in 1990 when he hit where the crossover gate was had the be the scariest I've ever seen. The car disintegrated and no one knew if we was alive, couldn't see the ****pit at all. Mike Harmon had a similar one there at the same spot years later. At least with his, you could see him still sitting in his seat.

Michael Waltrip at Bristol in 1990 when he hit where the crossover gate was had the be the scariest I've ever seen. The car disintegrated and no one knew if we was alive, couldn't see the ****pit at all. Mike Harmon had a similar one there at the same spot years later. At least with his, you could see him still sitting in his seat.
That was a bad one. He was lucky to survive.

This. Mikey hands down.

Bodine.

Eric McClure at Talladaga 10ish years ago is still cringeworthy watching. I recommend anyone re-watches that clip. He hits the wall a few hundred feet short of the armco cross-over gate that has concrete pylons in between. Had he hit that armco it would have 100% failed and the car would've been completely mangled by the concrete/armco mess.

Bodine.

Eric McClure at Talladaga 10ish years ago is still cringeworthy watching. I recommend anyone re-watches that clip. He hits the wall a few hundred feet short of the armco cross-over gate that has concrete pylons in between. Had he hit that armco it would have 100% failed and the car would've been completely mangled by the concrete/armco mess.

That made me jump off the couch when I saw that. Looked like he sped up toward the wall.

I believe the MW car is in the international motorsports hall of fame. Seeing it in person makes a person wonder how anyone could survive that

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I can't believe I wrote the word "wreck" six times in the O.P. I need to get better at writing paragraphs.

Bodine.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Eric sustained injuries that he would never recover from and ended up passing away didn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Eric sustained injuries that he would never recover from and ended up passing away didn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He recovered enough to race again, but he did pass away. I'm not sure how much his death was related to the crash.

That and Mike Harmon's wreck they were lucky to be alive. Sauter was a few inches from hitting Harmon.

Bodine.

That crash may have led to his health issues that ultimately ended his life.

Mike Harmons Busch Series Bristol Practice test is right up there with the bad crashes

Geoffrey Bodine truck wreck was probably the worst wreck I’ve ever seen. I watched it happen live. I thought for sure he was dead.
I was 12 years old when I stumbled onto that one on YouTube. I almost threw up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom