Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abort the project

• Bad idea to begin with

• Total voters
B

BebiF1

Lets all talk the new Mp4/18. Millions upon millions have been pumped into this radical new car to win races, championships and put McLaren back on top of the F1 grid. It has been more than a year since this car has hit the drawing boards and a couple months since it rolled into public view, and hit test facilities. Yet still it remains dormant and has not graced a GP this year after failing tests, heavy crashes, and mechanical problems. With the three race test ban starting at the British GP, Norbort Haug was quoting as saying it is "impossible" that the car will take up the Ferrari's in any GP this year. Many have said this was a failed design and McLaren may have started already on a different car for next year.
With all this said, you must wonder what went wrong and what will McLaren do about their handicapped child? The 18th F1 machine to roll out of the factory branded McLaren may not ever hit the tracks but may pave the way for future designs for the mp4/19 as well as other teams looking for new innovations to make them go quicker.

I said race it, but I have heard the stories about the 19. I just don't know about the 18 and its intentions. Now no one at Mclaren is dumb, why would it take this long if it only had "small problems". Its like an alien civilization made it and they are trying to read the direction to it, but they can't because its in alien speak. So my theory, its a decoy, yep they made it look off the wall and where its potential is a dead end, by this letting other teams look and use the decoyed inovations that are really a dead end, meanwhile the car that they been talking about is the 19.

I am sorry but that sounds a little far fetched. Who in their right mind would spend millions on a decoy? I do not think it is a failed project exactly, but I do think McLaren did not look at all the possibilities and pulled a NASA. Now their last hope of the title will not hit tracks because they thought they could spend extra time in design and as soon as it was done, throw it into grand prixs and win. Well that didn't happen did it?

Originally posted by BebiF1@Jul 15 2003, 04:29 PM
I am sorry but that sounds a little far fetched. Who in their right mind would spend millions on a decoy?
hehe, yeah its real far fetched, I just said what came to my mind real quick and it made me laugh. But the mind games these guys play, who knows hehe. I'm not going to rule them out yet, but the thing has got to roll or its not getting out of this giant hole they put themselves in.

In my mind, the Mp4/18's hole has been dug, the car has been placed in it, and now Ferrari and Williams are throwing dirt on it. About halfway full I think.

Note how the real name is the MP-4/18A. Hence the A. That means McLaren has already announced there will be variations...like the 17 of last year and 17D or this year (D= development). It may end up being the 18A will just be a prototype, but I really do think McLaren has made sufficent progress with it that it still will be very fast next year. The design details are stunning. Plus since most of those wild new ideas include aerodynamics, they have all the time now to hone that to perfection in the wind tunnel. Plus it gives them more time to sort out the twin clutch carbon fiber gearbox. The MP4-18A may never race, but I bet the MP4-18B,C,D whatever sure will and will look very similar. McLaren has done this before to great success...the 1985-86 cars, the 1986 was mearly a development of the 1985. Both won the championship.

I also beleive 2004 will go to whoever grasps the new engine rules the best. Its the first time since 1995 anyone has really had to completely redesign the engine using different thought processes and having to achieve different results (like making an engine that use to be designed to run 300 miles now run 400.)

I say carry on developing the new MP4/18 and race it for 2004. They have plenty of time to work out the bugs, and the car should be quick straight out of the box. And if they can sort out the reliabilty problems they should have a jump start over Willams and Ferrari and Renault, after all they will have a few months more testing than them. Just my theory, but I dont think they can not put a new car onto the grid for 2004.

I would severly doubt McLaren would make the mistake of putting a two year old car onto the 2004 grid. The Mp4/18 design was used steping stone and will not hits tracks I believe. The car on the grid for 2004 has already been announced as the Mp4/19. A different car will grace the grid apart from the 18A. McLaren has made huge leaps in technology according to this car, and unfortunately it seems some does not help things but hurt. They will have all winter to redesign this car around the things that do work and redo thier errors. I would almost bet now that McLaren will have the car to beat next year if all goes right. We still do not know the progress of all the other teams that have a great shot at taking victories next year with how close the field is this year.

Back
Top Bottom