Meadowlands Track Dead

H

HardScrabble

Local fans should pester their reps if thye want this to happen.

From Newsday:

A proposal to bring NASCAR racing to the Meadowlands appears to have hit the
wall due to opposition from local officials who fear noise and traffic
problems from an auto race track. While a final decision won't be made until
next week, several participants in a meeting Wednesday of dozens of local
officials and members of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority said
the idea got a resounding thumbs down in an informal poll. "As of today,
NASCAR is dead here," said Assemblyman Paul Sarlo, D- Bergen, who is also
mayor of Wood-Ridge. "Because we live in the most densely populated county
in the most densely populated state in the nation, the people in Bergen
County will never, ever warm up to a NASCAR track. There was only one person
in favor of it," said added Assemblywoman Rose Heck, R-Bergen. "All the
others raised their hands against it. They left the meeting as if it were a
done deal, that this was dead." Assembly Minority Leader Paul DiGaetano,
R-Bergen, also said none of the local officials wants to see a NASCAR track
built on land where the Continental Airlines Arena now sits. The area most
likely would be razed after the New Jersey Nets and Devils move to a new
arena in downtown Newark in 2005, and state and local officials are trying
to decide what should be built in its place.

You know how bumbed I am to here that. New Jersey really needs a track but ever time we get close to getting a track there is a problem and we end up with nothing. First in Atlantic City now at the Meadowlands.

they were also going to build a track by millville, but the area citizens voted it down:mad:

yup, i dont know if it was right in millville or adjacent to it, but there is a huge plot of land where they were going to build a whole nascar facility and the community voted against it for traffic and noise reasons. guess they said there is only one single lane highway leading in and out of the area and right now during the summer, you can get stuck at the single traffic light for two hours on a sunday or friday night

Geeez,

Last time I was over Millville way it looked like the area could use a little shot in the arm. Not much out there.

Must be a NIMBY thing.

lol, i dont know. you would think peole would want to bring a quick crowd in to boost the towns area for a week. wouldnt you

why are they worried about traffic, it will only happen one or two weeks out of the year. people are morons now days.
in a town near where i live, all these people are trying to stop a walmart being built because it will ruin the area. i've been in that area, if anything, it will make it better.

sorry if my post was a little off topic.

Originally posted by j ozzman 5000
why are they worried about traffic, it will only happen one or two weeks out of the year. people are morons now days.
in a town near where i live, all these people are trying to stop a walmart being built because it will ruin the area. i've been in that area, if anything, it will make it better.

sorry if my post was a little off topic.

hey, me too. everybody in this town is trying to stop this new walmart distribution center from being built. it will create over 1100 jobs and lowest pay will be 11.00 per hour. now thats not a whole lot, but its better than minimum wage

Back
Top Bottom