Memo to NASCAR:

If IndyCar catered to purists they'd be running around Indy in front-engined roadsters. This year's grid is going to be larger than last year's too.

Highest rating for Daytona 500 qualifying since 2008, tied with 2009.

Looks like it's staying.

When you're paying $4 billion to be at the racetrack, you get to call the shots and we can have our purity crusade and races can be decided by five laps instead of five seconds again. Just because I say fans won't watch doesn't mean I give a damn.

NASCAR has to put on something people want to see. If they did what the drivers wanted and what fans want because of what the drivers want, the racing would be absolutely atrocious. Now that Bernard's gone at IndyCar, they're catering to the purists again and they're about three years away from total irrelevancy.

"NASCAR has to put on something people want to see."

And there is it in 10 words "Nascar has to put on something people want to see." Obviously people have been leaving the series (I try never to call it a sport) in droves for the last 10 years and just when you think it can't get worse it does. What does Nascar need to do to get the youngsters heads out of their electronic devices and make them fans?

If IndyCar catered to purists they'd be running around Indy in front-engined roadsters. This year's grid is going to be larger than last year's too.

Indy car racing is irrelevant stateside as reruns of Mork and Mindy get higher ratings. In Indiana the month of May used to be abuzz with everything at the track but since the split most people don't give a fig.

But amidst the "blandness" they still managed to destroy the majority of the cars ....................... I cant even remember who won, was it Danica :rolleyes:

It sure as hell wasn't Kyle. ;)

I think people watched it for curiosity's sake, some who don't really watch NASCAR (so they never saw this format last year) included.

I'm sure the curiosity factor helped somewhat. Either that, or people love seeing a train wreck. ;)

Yeah, personally I thought it was a "somewhat comical train wreck"...the drivers not leaving pit row was funny - and especially when a couple actually backed up their cars.

I was watching local news here in Atlanta to keep up on the weather forecast and they have a cute young sports-gal. She mentioned the "Clint rant" but then went on to talk about Jeff getting the pole and ended the segment with "but the fans loved it!!"...LOL.

I like how on TV they say the fans liked it... what fans? I haven't seen anyone on Twitter or this forum actually say they liked it, minus The Orange Cone.

I wasn't coming back here, but decided to make one more post.

first off, the point of my original post: THIS IS THE DAYTONA 500.

your single biggest event of the year. leave it alone!!!

now bias based on my history. I've been a racing fan since I was a kid back in the '60's. and I will be a race fan til they put me in a box. regardless of the ineptitude of the leadership and their misguided goals

with that said, I really don't care about billion dollar television contracts, multi-million dollar team owners with multiple franchises, or the fan base that everyone feels is needed for the growth of the sport.

and I guess that's the final take: growth of the sport doesn't matter to me. doesn't put a new nickel in my pocket. actually has cost me more. so with that said, I repeat my rant.

i'll be a fan long after most of the newbies have come and gone. and it's quite apparent that the newbies do quickly come and go.

so leave the DAYTONA 500 alone. it's the sport's only true shot of earning credibility with potential life time fans.

jmo

tracy williamson
624 susie st.
delavan, wi
ex-prescott,ia

Highest rating for Daytona 500 qualifying since 2008, tied with 2009.

Looks like it's staying.

Please explain this to a senior citizen . Did all those folks tune in knowing what was going to happen? , or did they tune in based on previous years experience . How can the figures reflect peoples apprciation of what happened? Wouldn't a survey of people taken just after the telecast , more accurately reflet their opinion of this years event ? Just wonderin.

Indy car racing is irrelevant stateside as reruns of Mork and Mindy get higher ratings. In Indiana the month of May used to be abuzz with everything at the track but since the split most people don't give a fig.
IndyCar management might be dense but they don't cater to purists - unless the Boston Consulting Group is full of open wheel purists.

Please explain this to a senior citizen . Did all those folks tune in knowing what was going to happen? , or did they tune in based on previous years experience . How can the figures reflect peoples apprciation of what happened? Wouldn't a survey of people taken just after the telecast , more accurately reflet their opinion of this years event ? Just wonderin.
Do you really think NASCAR is going to ask themselves those questions? They'll see that the ratings are up double-digit percentages from the last few Daytona 500 qualifying sessions and cream their jockey shorts.

IndyCar management might be dense but they don't cater to purists - unless the Boston Consulting Group is full of open wheel purists.

I used to go to the Brickyard several times in the month of may and that is usually when I got my first sunburn of the year. Sneva, Johncock, Mario, Emo, RIck, Al, Bobby and Little Al....oh and Dick Simon too.....from carb day, bump day and practice it was all good. I never got tired of hearing Tom Carnegie say "and he's on it." I haven't been back to the track since the split.

Back
Top Bottom