message sent by not dumping hamlin

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
on the last lap of the race. I was thinking to myself that if I was joey I would dump hamlin if he got to the outside or at least hit him hard enough in the quarter panel to leave no chance of winning the race. Joey could have just said that he took away our chance to win at bristol. IMO joey threw away a race win by trying to race fair and square. If I am a fellow driver I know darn well that joey does not scare me and when and if the chips are down if I lean on joey there will be no repercussions. Joey to me said that he is unwilling to defend himself on the race track. If I was roger I would tell him dude don't put up with crap on the race track. the last lap was perfect time for pay back.

Perfect time for pay back, and Joey risking taking himself out too, and then Joey having no shot at the win. How would that have worked out for Joey?

Yes, I know thats what happened anyways, but at least it wasn't due to stupidity of worrying about taking out another driver instead of winning the race. Joey would have plenty of times to try to dump Denny. The last couple laps while racing for a win isn't the time to do it.

Same message can be sent without dumping the guy .Race him hard, take away his line , block him, take the air off his car , crowd him up into the wall . Guys like Montoya , Stewart , Newman , Kyle and Kurt , they all do it . When you try to go by them for the win , you tighten your belts.

on the last lap of the race. I was thinking to myself that if I was joey I would dump hamlin if he got to the outside or at least hit him hard enough in the quarter panel to leave no chance of winning the race. Joey could have just said that he took away our chance to win at bristol. IMO joey threw away a race win by trying to race fair and square. If I am a fellow driver I know darn well that joey does not scare me and when and if the chips are down if I lean on joey there will be no repercussions. Joey to me said that he is unwilling to defend himself on the race track. If I was roger I would tell him dude don't put up with crap on the race track. the last lap was perfect time for pay back.

imo, trying to race "fair and square" would have meant not making contact, leaving the fastest car to win the race

obviously, Logano was all over Hamlin so the question would seem to be, did he make contact on purpose or did he simply "run out of talent" in trying to race "fair and square" ?

I'm going with the "ran out of talent" scenario regardless of Logano's "I did what I had to do" post-race comments

I just think what we seen was a result of two drivers determined the other wasn't going to win. Joey drove it in there knowing he wasn't going to stick and Denny stuck his foot in the throttle to be sure he took Joey with him. Wish we could see the smile on Kyle's face as he drove by both of them. I'm sure Joey or Denny for that matter would've seen it turning out like it did, but that's the risk when you get physical at those speeds. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Denny vs. Joey either.

What Kyle did to Kyle Larson last week at Bristol was classic. The kid was faster , coming up on the outside , Busch just kept edgeing to the right till Larson brushed the wall ,scrubbed off speed and learned about racing on the last lap. Next time Larson will fake to the outside then dive to the bottom.

there is a very easy way to dump someone, the cops even use it, its called the pit maneuver. a slight nudge of the front bumper into the rear Q panel of the 11 car would sent it into the fence. I actually think joey raced him about as clean as a guy could on the last lap. I personally feel joey raced too clean. Race wins don't grow on trees and if you are lagano you take at that moment because those moments haven't been frequent in your career.

there is a very easy way to dump someone, the cops even use it, its called the pit maneuver. a slight nudge of the front bumper into the rear Q panel of the 11 car would sent it into the fence. I actually think joey raced him about as clean as a guy could on the last lap. I personally feel joey raced too clean. Race wins don't grow on trees and if you are lagano you take at that moment because those moments haven't been frequent in your career.
Both of them pulled every trick in the book the last couple of laps. At those speeds you don't need to touch, just get close to a quarter panel and they get loose. The reason two cars move over and touch when they side draft at those speeds is because when they get closer the air doesn't go between them, it tries to go around both of them. that creates a vacuum and pulls them together at 200 mph whew. Hamlin had four brand new tires, Joey knew that, he didn't. He didn't care, he was going for it anyway. Probably be on the highlight reels for years to come. I'm glad I got to see it happen, one of the great moments in autosport. Like Cravens and Kurt at Darlington

wow everytime I see cars run at darlington I love it, what a racetrack. that funky line they run around there is like nothing else.

Im looking forward to so many races. I was excited about this weekend because Joey keeps saying the new car is like the 2012 NNS car. Fontana was his first win of 9 last season. And he didn't disappoint. Think this is going to be a great year for us Joey fans.

wow everytime I see cars run at darlington I love it, what a racetrack. that funky line they run around there is like nothing else.
That was a finish wasn't it. When I woke up, I was standing in my living room and the screams were echoing off the walls, I wanted Kurt to win it, but dang what a race...it had been going on for about 15 laps, Craven was catching Bush, I will never forget that race.:)

When Logano came off the corner and Denny got more than half a car lead, I thought Joey would bang Dennys right rear just hard enough to send him to the apron and then go around him for the win. Joey throttled up instead. I think he decided he would simply race him with disrespect, since Denny showed him so much disrespect during and after the Bristol race.

I'm sure Denny has figured out HE should have picked up the phone instead of being a wise ass and saying Logano hasn't called HIM, so it's over.

Calfornia isnt the place for paying back with a spinout.
Even with the safety innovations since Earnhardts death, planting a car in the wall is still hitting the wall. Even with a safe barrier we dont how much it would have helped in this case, and many tracks have freak possibilities (there usually addressed only after being exposed).

There are lot of should of could ofs in racing, even a great like Gordon questioned himself after not taking out Hamlin at Atlanta last year, but @ 190 mph it is the wrong place.

Last of all I think Joey has made the point that he isnt taking it no more.

Calfornia isnt the place for paying back with a spinout..

just my guess, but considering denny's injury, i would think everyone involved in this party has to be questioning what they should have done differently. and maybe not just this weekend, but bristol as well.

back a dog into a corner, he's gonna bite. both joey and denny shot their mouths off too much a week ago to back down this weekend. now denny has a serious back injury. and given that fact, it's likely joey's confidence is back to square one.

jmo.

just my guess, but considering. ny's injury, i would think everyone involved in this party has to be questioning what they should have done differently. and maybe not just this weekend, but bristol as well.

back a dog into a corner, he's gonna bite. both joey and denny shot their mouths off too much a week ago to back down this weekend. now denny has a serious back injury. and given that fact, it's likely joey's confidence is back to square one.

jmo.

Agreed there is plenty of room to justify and blame either one. As Confusedcious wisely said " sheet happens" and it aint always black and white.

Both of them pulled every trick in the book the last couple of laps. At those speeds you don't need to touch, just get close to a quarter panel and they get loose. The reason two cars move over and touch when they side draft at those speeds is because when they get closer the air doesn't go between them, it tries to go around both of them. that creates a vacuum and pulls them together at 200 mph whew. Hamlin had four brand new tires, Joey knew that, he didn't. He didn't care, he was going for it anyway. Probably be on the highlight reels for years to come. I'm glad I got to see it happen, one of the great moments in autosport. Like Cravens and Kurt at Darlington

It's awesome someone is comparing this race to that one. One of my top 5 favorite finishes for sure. I loved how stoked both Craven and Busch were after that race.

I just think what we seen was a result of two drivers determined the other wasn't going to win. Joey drove it in there knowing he wasn't going to stick and Denny stuck his foot in the throttle to be sure he took Joey with him. Wish we could see the smile on Kyle's face as he drove by both of them. I'm sure Joey or Denny for that matter would've seen it turning out like it did, but that's the risk when you get physical at those speeds. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Denny vs. Joey either.
I'm late to this party, but I think you nailed it. Each was more interested in making sure the other guy DIDN'T win than in actually trying to win himself.

I was lucky enough to be at Darlington that day, and many times before and since.

Back
Top Bottom