mid to late 90's Busch drivers

aroundgoes

Team Owner
I was looking through the old Busch series standings and man, that series was so damn great in the mid to late 90's

Randy LaJoie, David Green, Jeff Green, Todd Bodine Jason Keller, Mike Mclaughlin, Steve Grissom, Ricky Craven, Dale Jr, Elliot Sadler, Phil Parsons, Chad Little, Elton Sawyer

It's too bad teh series got hampered by cup drivers coming down to race and take rides from those drivers

The series was amazing. Amazing and it got ruined

My favorites were Jason Keller, Tim Fedewa, Joe Bessey, and because I was a Bill Elliott fan Ron Barfield

I didn't realize Terry labonte ran so many Busch series races (for his own team)

I was looking through the old Busch series standings and man, that series was so damn great in the mid to late 90's

Randy LaJoie, David Green, Jeff Green, Todd Bodine Jason Keller, Mike Mclaughlin, Steve Grissom, Ricky Craven, Dale Jr, Elliot Sadler, Phil Parsons, Chad Little, Elton Sawyer

It's too bad teh series got hampered by cup drivers coming down to race and take rides from those drivers

The series was amazing. Amazing and it got ruined
Not sure if Cup Drivers coming in ruined that series. I kinda think at that time it enhanced it and would now really. You had career Busch Series guys that dabbled in Cup and were successful in Busch so they had their own following like Jeff Green, Successful Cup drivers like Mark Martin in the Winn Dixie Taurus come in and compete, plus the up/coming like Dale Jr, Kenseth, Casey Atwood ( at the time) Sadler all competing against each other. It was a melting pot of different storylines and things going on, plus you also had successful Busch Series only teams that had an identity and fans could identify with that. I believe what made the Series less popular is two things: 1.) the pay drivers that were kids that got rides that no fan could really identify with, I mean they kind of overtook the series 2.) The Busch Series specific teams are really a thing of the past, its all HMS, RCR, JGR/TDR satellite teams now.

I think what hurt the Busch series the most is what's still hurting it now. Cup teams fielding cars in it.

I think 2001 was the year the Busch Series started to turn bad. That was the first year a driver ran the full schedule in both Cup and BGN (Harvick ran the full BGN schedule that year and the full Cup schedule with the exception of the Daytona 500), and the fact that Harvick was able to run both and win the championship in BGN was a signal to other teams and drivers that they could do both too.

I’m glad they’ve limited the starts a Cup driver can make now, the series is much more enjoyable now IMO. Those late 00’s seasons when Cup drivers were winning the BGN/Nationwide championship every year were pretty brutal.

I think it was different in Harvick's case. He was committed to running the Busch series at the start of the season and I'm not even sure how many or if any at all cup starts he was planning. Then Dale Sr. died and he was thrust into the cup series.

I think it was different in Harvick's case. He was committed to running the Busch series at the start of the season and I'm not even sure how many or if any at all cup starts he was planning. Then Dale Sr. died and he was thrust into the cup series.
Yep, I know it wasn’t originally Harvick’s intention to run both, but the success he had in both series’ that year opened the floodgates.

Back
Top Bottom